topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool  (Read 247976 times)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2009, 10:52 PM »
This IS a freshly installed Windows 7 (an hour and a half after installing Win7), and Firefox 3.5.5.

1.5 hours could mean that Firefox settings has been changed or LinkmanFox.xpi and another installed extension bite each other.

I've installed Windows 7 into VMWare and directly after installation zipped the virtual machine. This way I can unzip it at any time and repeat the installation. I've done 3 times so far and always without any errors.

BTW, I don't see the Firefox extension download anywhere on your web site....

Download -> Linkman Pro -> Firefox Extension.

Please send also $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini via Email, if possible.

Also, a suggestion: Listing the FF extension on the Mozilla Addons site would avoid problems like this; they review all extensions and make sure that mistakes like this are few, if any.

As I understand, you can only submit stand-alone extensions. LinkmanFox does not work without Linkman.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:57 PM by Outertech Support »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2009, 02:34 AM »
We have decided to push out a bugfix update before going with new major features into beta, so here it is.

Major changes:

- Extended Database History Feature (Tools | Settings | Data | Backup old Linkman Data files). By default Linkman will keep 2 + 1 (two older and one current version) Database files. The history can be configured to save up to 10 older databases.

- Added <parent.userdef1> to <parent.userdef6> tags to export templates.

- Additionally this update fixes several bugs.

Shareware Version (Linkman Pro, $25, 30 day trial):

Homepage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.exe

Freeware version (Linkman Lite) is still at 7.80, it will be updated by the end of the year:

Homepage: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...iles/linkmanlite.exe

--

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

PDF Manual: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Also, a suggestion: Listing the FF extension on the Mozilla Addons site would avoid problems like this; they review all extensions and make sure that mistakes like this are few, if any.

It seems Mozilla will restrict use of extensions from v3.6 onwards:

http://www.symantec....e-firefox-extensions

"In Firefox there is the possibility to drop an extension as a raw component directly into the core folders of Firefox. This means that the component is loaded invisibly for the user. The user has no facility to disable or uninstall it from within the browser, let alone knowing that it is there in the first place.

"To solve this issue, the Mozilla developers have now decided to remove this capability and only load their own core components in Firefox 3.6 and beyond."

SKA

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2009, 03:42 PM »
LinkmanFox.xpi is not installed invisibly, the Firefox extension díalog is displayed where the user gets the change to cancel the installation.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2009, 10:37 AM »
"In Firefox there is the possibility to drop an extension as a raw component directly into the core folders of Firefox. This means that the component is loaded invisibly for the user. The user has no facility to disable or uninstall it from within the browser, let alone knowing that it is there in the first place.

Yeah, like the Outertech Dude said...theirs doesn't install invisibly. This is more to combat the extensions like that Microsoft .NET Assistant extension that just appeared in everyone's list of installed extensions one day with no clue as to how it got there.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2009, 11:28 AM »
This is more to combat the extensions like that Microsoft .NET Assistant extension that just appeared in everyone's list of installed extensions one day with no clue as to how it got there.

...and these are increasingly annoying. On my system: Foxit Reader plugin (never asked for that), getPlusPlus for Adobe (ditto), Google Gadget Plugin (I don't use Google Desktop, the personalized Google homepage or any gadgets), Java Deployment Toolkit, Java Platform SE, MS Office 2003, Microsoft DRM (hello?!), Picasa, RealJukebox Plugin, RealOne Player Version Plugin, Windows Presentation Foundation. All apperar invisibly and can be disabled, but cannot be uninstalled from FireFox.

Linkman is not one of those, however :)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2010, 11:35 PM »
I wanted to thank all DonationCoder users which have participated in the Linkman 7.90 beta test.

After several months, the beta test is finally over!

<b><i>What's new in the latest version</i></b>
<ul><li><b>Firefox has now optional Linkman buttons in the main toolbar.</b> Rightclick the Firefox toolbar and select customize</li>
<li><b>Firefox can now be configured to launch links into existing tabs.</b> (Tools | Settings | Launch URLs)</li>
<li><b>Chrome 4.x-5.x support.</b> (including import)</li>
<li><b>Main window toolbar buttons available in two different sizes.</b></li>
<li><b>Improved support for sharing Linkman links between two computers.</b><br>
Linkman Pro will detect if Dropbox or Syncplicity (or any other such sync service) changes the URL Database (*.lmd) while Linkman is running. If the user has not any pending changes to save, Linkman will reload its database.

See the Synchronize tutorial for a screenshot based guide.

Example:

You are at your work computer and add some links to Linkman. You go home and turn on your computer. Linkman will load, but the database will not have the links you have added at work at this moment. Dropbox will download (without any need of user interaction) the database changed at work. After Dropbox is done, Linkman will automatically reload the database and the new added links will become instantly available in your browser. This works of course also if you add links to your home computer. They will become available on your work computer. The feature can be turned off in Tools | Settings | Data.</li>
<li><b>Keyword List window.</b> (Linkman Pro only)<br>
The Keywords labels in the main window and the URL add window have been replaced by Keywords buttons. Clicking on one of these button will display a list of all keywords in your current database. When you start typing a keyword Linkman will search for it in the list. Clicking Add or pressing the Enter key will add this keyword to the current URL.</li>
<li><b>Add Keywords to selected items.</b> (Edit, Shortcut and Query menu, Linkman Pro only)<br>
This function can add a specific keyword(s) to all selected URLs and folders.</li>
<li><b>Add all URLs on this webpage.</b> (URL, Shortcut and Query menu, Linkman Pro only)<br>
Linkman will load the html page from the URL, parse it for links and add all links to a new folder.</li>
<li><b>Several bug fixes, speed and user interface improvements.</b> (Linkman Lite and Linkman Pro)</li></ul>
Shareware Version (Linkman Pro, $25, 30 day trial):

Homepage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Download: http://download.oute...h.com/linkmanpro.exe

Freeware version (Linkman Lite):

Homepage: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com
Download: http://download.oute....com/linkmanlite.exe

--

Tutorial video (Linkman 7.60): http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

PDF Manual: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:38 PM by Outertech Support »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2010, 11:40 PM »
Outertech,

Will existing installations auto-update?

Thank you.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2010, 12:01 AM »
Um, the Main Toolbar buttons in Firefox are a mess. Not one button but a whole slew of about 20 or more buttons. All kind of jumbled together. Hopefully this is a bug and not what you intended. I attached an image below:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

That is my Customize... pane in Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7 HP.

Thank you.

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2010, 12:46 AM »
It's a bug and it was not there in RC3. Probably an installer issue. Looking into it right now.

edit:

Don't not the exact cause, but we are taking the Firefox extension from RC3 and putting it into the final installer. It will take about 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:54 AM by Outertech Support »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2010, 01:18 AM »
Can't you just offer the correct Firefox extension as a separate download, instead of requiring a reinstallation of the whole program?

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2010, 01:26 AM »
Yes, but it still needs to be in the default package, so users don't encounter the problem.

We have updated all download files to fix the problem.

If you don't want to reinstall, you can install the extension from here:

http://www.outertech...files/LinkmanFox.xpi

As to the source of the bug. At this moment we believe it's a Firefox bug. Between RC3 and final there was only one change in the Firefox extension. Icons have been added to the Linkman menu entries in the Tools menu. Not new icons, just the same icons as used elsewhere in the extension. That caused the distortion in the customize window. Removing the icons from tools menu fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:27 AM by Outertech Support »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Now Linkman won't even run. I have opened it several times but it only runs for about 20m seconds and then terminates. The damn Microsoft dialog doesn’t say why, just that it has to close.

I am going to reinstall 7.8.0012. No problem doing that, is there?

Jim

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Screenshot - 3_9_2010 , 2_33_00 AM.pngMiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2010, 01:45 AM »
Please use [email protected], I don't think this thread should be used for individual support.

Include your system configuration and you will get a debug executable that will shed some light what's going on, on your system.

You can install 7.80 (or any older 7.x) version over 7.90 and you will keep all settings etc. You can also use the new Firefox extension in 7.80.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: March 09, 2010, 01:59 AM »
I reinstalled 7.8.0012 but still got the new, non-improved Firefox extension, so I uninstalled that within Firefox. I have the old Firefox extension setup file and I will try to install that next.

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05 AM »
You can have 7.80 and 7.90 installed in parallel for testing purposes.

Keep 7.80 in your default Linkman folder. Start the 7.90 installer, select USB Mode in the options, but don't install to a USB stick, instead install to a folder on your hard drive, e.g. c:\Linkman. This way the new version Linkman will not touch the registry etc and keep all data in c:\Linkman. Now if you want to test why 7.90 is not running correnctly, just quit 7.80 in Tray Icon and launch 7.90 from c:\Linkman. After the test just quit 7.90 and restart 7.80.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: March 09, 2010, 03:16 AM »
Thanks. I now have 7.8 running like it was so I'll stick with this until maybe the next update is available. Or I hear from others here that they are running 7.9 without any problems. I am running LM on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. I haven't had any other problems installing programs - this was the first since installing Win7.

BTW, I am thinking of switching to Chrome but cannot get my LM bookmarks into Chrome. I tried appending and nothing happens. I have tried several of the Export "examples" but none of them are importing into Chrome. I really don’t like that the export options are just templates names HTML Example 1, HTML example 2, etc. I don’t know what the differences are or why there are so many. I can't find a good explanation of how to differentiate between them or how to use which for what!

Thank you.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: March 09, 2010, 03:17 AM »
You can have 7.80 and 7.90 installed in parallel for testing purposes.

Keep 7.80 in your default Linkman folder. Start the 7.90 installer, select USB Mode in the options, but don't install to a USB stick, instead install to a folder on your hard drive, e.g. c:\Linkman. This way the new version Linkman will not touch the registry etc and keep all data in c:\Linkman. Now if you want to test why 7.90 is not running correnctly, just quit 7.80 in Tray Icon and launch 7.90 from c:\Linkman. After the test just quit 7.90 and restart 7.80.
-Outertech Support (March 09, 2010, 02:05 AM)

Won't that throw me back to the non-working Firefox extension though?

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: March 09, 2010, 04:03 AM »
Which non working extension? Both the 7.80 and 7.90 extensions (LinkmanFox.xpi) do work. Linkman code is identical for both, only Firefox configuration is different (meaning firefox toolbar buttons have been added). Additionally the installation of the extension is always optional (Firefox intergration checkbox during installation).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: March 23, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I might just add that I am using Linkman 7.9.0.18 with Firefox 3.6.  I'm having no problems with Linkman's integration with Firefox, and I'm delighted with a new feature that I think was added to this new Linkman version: if I click on one of the four Linkman icons on Firefox when Linkman isn't open, clicking on any of these icons will also automatically open Linkman.  This is a great improvement for me, since I do not have Linkman starting at Windows startup (I try to keep the startup menu limited to those apps I know I will need right away).  Until now, if I clicked on one of the four icons when Linkman wasn't open, I'd just get an annoying message telling me that Linkman wasn't open.  Many thanks to Outertech for changing this.  It has made one of my very favorite programs even better!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: March 23, 2010, 03:38 PM »
if I click on one of the four Linkman icons on Firefox when Linkman isn't open, clicking on any of these icons will also automatically open Linkman.
Thanks for mentioning this, I was still on 7.9.0.0 and just updated. Much nicer behaviour from my point of view.

And thanks to Outertech!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Is it possible to tie a hotkey to the Search Linkman button within Firefox? I'd love to be able to replace the builtin Ctrl+B Bookmark search to use Linkman instead.

Otherwise, consider it a feature request ;)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2010, 06:46 AM »
You can set only global hotkeys with Ctrl + Alt or Ctrl + Shift combinations. Ctrl only global hotkeys have potential for havoc. To set a hotkey open the search window in Firefox, click settings and go to the Global Hotkeys section.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2010, 06:57 AM »
Yes, I know about the Global Hotkeys, but I was hoping that I could replace FFs Ctrl+B to search Linkman. I can probably make an AHK script for it, though.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2010, 07:10 AM »
I've put it on the todo list, but as I said, it has potential to wreck havoc.