ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (40/52) > >>

Innuendo:
I can't remember if it was Windows 7, but I once had a problem where I installed Linkman and the Firefox extension didn't get installed along with the program. I think the way I fixed it was by having to create a new profile in Firefox.

Outertech Support:
J-Mac we have received your email, among with some other users, but waited with the response until we can find a fix. The problem is that we cannot reproduce it on our Windows 7 systems and only few users have this problem. We hope to have a solution soon.

Installing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 into VMWare, installing Firefox 3.5.5, followed by Linkman 7.80.12 provides no errors whatsoever. The Linkman Firefox extension works.

Darwin:
I can't remember if it was Windows 7, but I once had a problem where I installed Linkman and the Firefox extension didn't get installed along with the program. I think the way I fixed it was by having to create a new profile in Firefox.
-Innuendo (December 06, 2009, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had this problem with the trial of Linkman, Firefox 3.x and Vista 64-bit, if that helps...

Outertech Support:
This may be a bug in the Linkman installer. To install the extension (LinkmanFox.xpi) the installer reads the path value from $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini, [Profile0] section.

It gets a value like this: Profiles/l2qwtl3g.default

/ is replaced by \ and LinkmanFox.xpi copied to $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\l2qwtl3g.default\extensions.

When Firefox is (re)started it loads and installs the xpi file.

As I said on a freshly installed Windows 7 + Firefox 3.5.5, the installation works without any problems.

p.s.

We have put LinkmanFox.xpi as a manual download on Outertech.com. You may try to skip the Firefox integration in the installer (uncheck the option) and then drag & drop LinkmanFox.xpi manually to the Firefox window and report if it works.

J-Mac:
This may be a bug in the Linkman installer. To install the extension (LinkmanFox.xpi) the installer reads the path value from $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini, [Profile0] section.

It gets a value like this: Profiles/l2qwtl3g.default

/ is replaced by \ and LinkmanFox.xpi copied to $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\l2qwtl3g.default\extensions.

When Firefox is (re)started it loads and installs the xpi file.

As I said on a freshly installed Windows 7 + Firefox 3.5.5, the installation works without any problems.-Outertech Support (December 06, 2009, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

This IS a freshly installed Windows 7 (an hour and a half after installing Win7), and Firefox 3.5.5.

p.s.

We have put LinkmanFox.xpi as a manual download on Outertech.com. You may try to skip the Firefox integration in the installer (uncheck the option) and then drag & drop LinkmanFox.xpi manually to the Firefox window and report if it works.
-Outertech Support (December 06, 2009, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll give the drag/drop method a try. BTW, I don't see the Firefox extension download anywhere on your web site....

Also, a suggestion: Listing the FF extension on the Mozilla Addons site would avoid problems like this; they review all extensions and make sure that mistakes like this are few, if any.

PS - regarding the email issues: a simple acknowledgment that you received them and are working on it - you could even use an auto-responder - would at least let users know that it is not a "server problem" that will take 3-4 months like before.

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version