ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (39/52) > >>

tranglos:
- fixed import of Firefox 3 bookmarks modified by external programs
-Outertech Support (April 20, 2009, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Outertech!

Since this is the issue I reported a few days ago, would you be willing to describe what the problem with the bookmarks db was? As best I recall, I never modified places.sqlite with an external application, though I did use programs like SQLite Spy to view the contents (and to trim a number of bookmarks and history records for privacy before I sent the file over to you - but the import problem affected the original file). I certainly never modified the schema.

On the other hand, my bookmark collection is pretty old - it dates back to 2.x versions of Netscape. I first tranferred it to Mozilla, whe it appeared, then to early releases of Firefox (where the html format was essentially unchanged), and lately Firefox converted the file itself to sqlite. I have also edited the bookmarks heabily inside Firefox. Was the db schema somehow abnormal? I'm not seeing any problems or missing functionality in Firefox, but then again I may not know whay I'm missing!

Thanks a lot again for working around that; I'll be giving Linkman another spin.

Outertech Support:
Thanks, Outertech!

Since this is the issue I reported a few days ago, would you be willing to describe what the problem with the bookmarks db was? -tranglos (April 20, 2009, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your file had not the same structure as a file created by a fresh FF3 installation. That was all. Now Linkman parses much more carefully to be prepared for more eventualities. The same goes for the Favorites import.

superboyac:
[edit]
Whoops!  Seems to have been fixed in the latest version.  Thanks!

Bug:
When Linkman is sorted by launch count, items with a blank count are placed before items with an actual count.  It shouldn't be that way.  Blank should be either equal to zero, or less than zero.
MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

J-Mac:
I received the post notification and since I'm here I might as well say something:

Linkman Pro has really become a mainstay for me! When I first purchased it at the time of the review that started this thread there were a lot of little things that gave me difficulty. Some just products of my own ignorance of how Linkman worked, but also some which were truly a problem using especially with Firefox. However at this point I can confidently say that Linkman is one of those programs that is among the very first I install on a new computer, or after a Windows reinstall. It is indispensable here.

Thanks Outertech dudes!   :)

Jim

J-Mac:
I received the post notification and since I'm here I might as well say something:

Linkman Pro has really become a mainstay for me! When I first purchased it at the time of the review that started this thread there were a lot of little things that gave me difficulty. Some just products of my own ignorance of how Linkman worked, but also some which were truly a problem using especially with Firefox. However at this point I can confidently say that Linkman is one of those programs that is among the very first I install on a new computer, or after a Windows reinstall. It is indispensable here.

Thanks Outertech dudes!   :)

Jim
-J-Mac (June 18, 2009, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, the last line of my post above mentions that Linkman will be one of my first apps installed on any new computer, meaning I consider it one of my top programs. I had the chance to prove that yesterday after performing a clean install of Windows 7 and ran into a major problem: The Linkman Firefox extension borked my Firefox installation somehow. After installing Linkman  - with Firefox closed so the extension could be installed - I reopened Firefox and no Linkman extension. It didn't show up, though. Every time I opened Firefox after that the Linkman extension tried to install but failed each time. Worse yet the extension installing features of Firefox also disappeared! The last several extensions I had just installed now said that they would install after restarting Firefox. Huh? Tried that several times but Firefox had dumped most of the extensions and would not install anymore. After about an hour and a half of troubleshooting I gave up and uninstalled Firefox.

Reinstalled Firefox today and all is well - though I have not tried to install the Linkman extension again.

I wrote to support about it but I don't expect any help from there. I waited more than three months last year for a reply from Outertech support and finally got a reply (Which said simply "Screenshot would help"). That was explained away by claiming "server problems". Lately, though, things don't seem to have improved: I wrote to support on November 18 and never heard a word. And yes, I capture all junk mail and check it daily. Nothing from Outertech.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Linkman Firefox extension on Windows 7? (I am using Firefox 3.5.5)

Thanks.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version