ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (22/52) > >>

Outertech Support:
On first (no configuration found) Linkman start the program tries to determinate your default browser and sets it as default also in the Linkman settings.

This registry key is evaluated: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command

I've just tried it in a Virtual Machine on a freshly installed Windows XP SP3 with Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 and Firefox was detected as the default browser.

Dormouse:
That's very strange then. It is many years since I had ie as a default browser and the only time it can ever appear so on any of my machines is when Windows is first installed. I know it has never been the case here since other progs always launch the default browser (Opera). Well, I'm glad Linkman usually installs the same default as the machine, but slightly perturbed at why it wasn't the case with me (this is the point at which I become slightly paranoid about what might have been secretly changing settings in the background).

Thanks for all the info.  :up:

cyberdiva:
Please specify what got installed besides Linkman Free (if you declined everything else). I'll investigate the matter immediately. I've done a test installation just 2 minutes ago and as usual nothing else was installed at all.
-Outertech Support (December 18, 2008, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just want to say that these guys at Linkman are serious.  Unlike some software companies that tell you "we'll look into it" and then nothing more is ever heard, the folks at Linkman have taken seriously every issue that I've raised with them, and they've corrected problems and implemented suggestions very quickly. 

I have no connection to the company, but in the half year or so that I've been using Linkman, I've become a real fan.  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical:

Just to add my experience on this point...

On first (no configuration found) Linkman start the program tries to determinate your default browser and sets it as default also in the Linkman settings.

This registry key is evaluated: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command

I've just tried it in a Virtual Machine on a freshly installed Windows XP SP3 with Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 and Firefox was detected as the default browser.
-Outertech Support (December 19, 2008, 03:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW updating Linkman Pro to the latest version, yesterday, called IE which I use very seldom indeed.
On my  machine the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command yields:
Name: (default)
Data: "E:\Winsupps\Firefox\firefox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "%1"

I'm not stating this as a complaint but it did cause a moment of very mild disapproval.

J-Mac:
When I click on Help>Updates it opens a new tab in Firefox. Of course I have been using Linkman for a while and I know that I do indeed have ther default browser set in the Settings as Firefox.

I can't remember Linkman having ever launched IE in my experience with it. It usually does what you ask of it.

Thanks!

Jim

BTW, here's my reg key dealing with that:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Note that it doesn’t look like yours at all, cranial. Weird. Of course this is on an XP Pro machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version