ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (20/52) > >>

J-Mac:
I just downloaded the Linkman Free tonite from the Outertech website but it didn't live up to the reviews IMHO.  Once I told it to not install anything else, it offers quite a few and then tells you can remove them from add/remove which you cannot.

Upon restarting Firefox, it then opened a new window in IE 6 to a freeze.com news site which I did not want nor agree to.  So I immediately uninstalled it since it acted like malware to me.

It also had offered to to install SearchSquire and New.net.  I should have know better when it wanted to install from freeze.com but the name didn't jog my memory at first.

I was also suspicious when I downloaded a 4.5 meg file that I thought was Linkman Free and then during the install it downloaded something else.  who knows what.

Anyway the Revo Uninstaller did a good job in uninstalling it. I will run my a/v program tonite just to make sure  everything is gone.

My experience says "Stay away"!

-techidave (December 17, 2008, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! I agree - stay far away from the so-called "free" version! The installation is "managed" by InstallIQ - what a treat. Here's a note about it that you can reach from a link on the Free Linkman page:

InstallIQ™ Information

Click the 'Download' button to begin downloading the software using InstallIQ™. When the download box appears, click 'Run' or 'Open' to start downloading. Once the download has been completed, the installation process will begin.

InstallIQ™ manages the installation of your software. During the installation we set cookies and update your registry:

* Our websites install cookies on your computer. The product and last session cookies includes information about when and what products you downloaded. The user cookie helps us to recognize you on subsequent visits. An identification cookie is placed on your computer if you choose to register with us. None of our cookies contain Personally Identifiable Information. For information on how to remove cookies click here.
      Remove Cookies
      To delete cookies in Internet Explorer:
         1. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
         2. On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Settings.
         3. Click the View files button.
         4. Click the Name column heading to sort all the files alphabetically, and then scroll down until you see the file your [email protected].
         5. Right-click the cookie click Delete, and then click Yes.
         6. Close the window that contains the list of files, and then click OK twice to return to Internet Explorer.
    * InstallIQ™ also updates your registry with a unique installer id. The installer id allows us to recognize you on all our websites. For information on how to remove the registry entry click here.
      Remove Registry Entries
      To Remove the Registry Entry:
         1. Start RegEdit and find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Freeze.com/Installer key.
         2. Press the delete key or click the right mouse button and click Delete.
         3. Exit Registry Editor.

InstallIQ™ automatically uninstalls once you have received your download.

Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
Copyright ©2008 W3i, LLC. All Rights Reserved. -InstallIQ
--- End quote ---

Also, take a look at the InstallIQ T&C's. It is like reading an "Adware Pledge of Allegiance"! And their Privacy Policy is, well... not. No privacy at all. It says that your personal information IS shared with just about anyone they wish - not only for email solicitation but also your home address for postal mail, and download a screensaver with ads in it, change your home page, change your browser's search engine, etc.

This is not acceptable at all. Outertech - I am shocked. Such a good paid product, yet you are making an adware/malware-laden version available at the same time. Not acceptable at all.

This gives me pause as to what may come to me in updates of my licensed Linkman Pro software. Outertech - can you tell us what your plans are there?

Jim

techidave:
Ditto, Jim, Ditto

techidave:
I had to wonder if the users Outertech support, SKA, and cyberdiva were affilitaed with this program.

Darwin:
I had to wonder if the users Outertech support, SKA, and cyberdiva were affilitaed with this program.
-techidave (December 18, 2008, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Outertech Support is - and has acknowledged so elsewhere in this thread. I'm sure that neither SKA nor cyberdiva are affiliates, though.

Outertech Support:
Also, take a look at the InstallIQ T&C's. It is like reading an "Adware Pledge of Allegiance"! And their Privacy Policy is, well... not. No privacy at all. It says that your personal information IS shared with just about anyone they wish - not only for email solicitation but also your home address for postal mail, and download a screensaver with ads in it, change your home page, change your browser's search engine, etc.

This is not acceptable at all. Outertech - I am shocked. Such a good paid product, yet you are making an adware/malware-laden version available at the same time. Not acceptable at all.

This gives me pause as to what may come to me in updates of my licensed Linkman Pro software. Outertech - can you tell us what your plans are there?

Jim
-J-Mac (December 17, 2008, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Linkman Free installer collects no personal user information whatsoever. You don't have to provide any information, not even your name. You get some adverts for other software/products during the installation with an accept/decline button. If you decline the other programs only Linkman Free will be installed and nothing else.

If you decide to download other software besides Linkman you may be asked for personal information (usually not), but nobody forces you to enter anything or download any screensavers. This is all purely optional.

The adds are only seen in the installer. After installation Linkman Free is completely add free and nothing else is in your system, unless you have decided to download and install something else during the install process (like the Yahoo Toolbar or a Registry Optimizer).

The installer has the http://www.truste.org/tdp/trusted_download_program.php seal, otherwise we would never have agreed to use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version