topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool  (Read 248705 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2008, 11:27 AM »
I wrote again late last week because those issues are still happening, along with a few new ones, but again there is no acknowledgment reply, no actual reply from Outertech Support - nothing.

So as responsive as the developer tried to appear when this review was first written, I believe that was purely for PR reasons, with the review and the DC discount.  Three months without any replies at all from their support belies the praise that was heaped on this developer by the review.  I dumped Linkman.

Linkman had a serious server problem several months ago, and messages I sent them seemed to go unanswered.  Then, suddenly, I got a message from them explaining what had happened and responding to my questions.  From that point on, they have been extraordinarily responsive.  I'm thus stunned to hear that you've had more recent problems with non-response.  They have responded quickly and helpfully to every email I have sent them, and they've even created beta versions for me to test to see whether the betas solved problems I was having.  They did, and I was delighted to see that one feature found its way into the most recent regular release (7.50). 

Like some others on this forum, I used and loved Powermarks for many years.  Fortunately, I discovered Linkman just as Powermarks announced that they would no longer be updating that program.  Frankly, as much as I loved Powermarks, I'm even more enthusiastic about Linkman.  For those of you like me who were happy that Powermarks eliminated the need for storing bookmarks in folders, you can use Linkman the same way--you don't HAVE to use folders.  But starting with version 7.50, if you do use folders, the folder and sub-folder names can be included (just like keywords) in a search. 

Three more things I love about Linkman over Powermarks:
1) Linkman's URL validation is much more accurate and more flexible than Powermarks'
2) You can do boolean searches in Linkman ("and," "or" "and/and not")
3) If you want, you can search on a number of different fields (e.g., title, path, folder, etc.), not just on keywords

I should also note that the current version of Linkman has a Powermarks import feature (which it didn't have when I started using it, so I haven't tried it).

I use Firefox as my default browser, and I've had no problem using Linkman once I told Linkman the path for my default browser.  I also have Opera and Internet Explorer, and Linkman works with these as well, along with several browsers I don't have.

One more thing.  I remember that when I first tried Linkman, I HATED it because the Desktop Toolbar messed up my desktop and took up valuable space, and the Drop Basket kept getting in the way.  However, I soon realized that I could use Linkman perfectly well without those two "features," and from then on I grew more and more enthusiastic. 

I hope some of these comments prove helpful.  If you're unsure about Linkman, give it a try.  It has become one of my very favorite programs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:52 PM by cyberdiva »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2008, 12:05 AM »
No, I have not claimed that it's not possible to add a toolbar to Firefox. I've just said that is very complicated to offer the same functionality that the IE toolbar has. The reason for this is the Linux compatibility of Firefox. AFAIK it does not allow any DCOM servers (which the Linkman IE Toolbar is). 7.x will offer a Firefox toolbar in the future. It's not like we are not doing anything, Linkman has received 3 major updates in this year alone.
-Outertech Support (September 26, 2008, 10:33 AM)
I see.  I don't really know what you are talking about with the technical stuff, but I'm glad to hear it's not impossible.  So, do you think it will be possible to add the three buttons to the toolbar like Powermarks used to have?  It doesn't seem very complicated...one button opens the main menu, another adds the current page to the bookmark and fills in all the fields as usual, the other "silently" adds the bookmark, meaning there's no confirmation dialog.  Couldn't this be done easily?
If not with buttons, couldn't this be done with hotkeys at least (or maybe it can already be done)?
The part I really want is when you press a button or a hotkey, the current page from Firefox is added to the Linkman list, with all the keywords and addresses filled out automatically.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2008, 07:21 PM »
It will be added in 7.x.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2008, 10:24 PM »
It will be added in 7.x.
-Outertech Support (September 27, 2008, 07:21 PM)
Yeah baby!  (does a little dance).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2008, 08:38 AM »
It will be added in 7.x.
-Outertech Support (September 27, 2008, 07:21 PM)
I'm delighted to hear this, since I too am a Firefox user. 

This is one of the things that has most impressed me about Linkman: they take customer feedback seriously.  I know other companies that either ignore suggestions or say "good idea, we'll look into it" and then nothing further happens.  Years later, they're still saying "we'll look into it."   In my experience, when Linkman says it will be added in 7.x, they mean it.  :Thmbsup: 

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Linkman has been split into two different editions.

[1. Linkman Free, Freeware]

Linkman Free is a feature reduced version of Linkman without URL Validation and Export Templates. Still, 90% of Linkman's functionality is preserved and it has no limits, except that it can only be used in private non-commercial environments.

Linkman Free is bundled with other programs like the Yahoo Toolbar. The important point is that the installation of the other tools is utterly optional. If you decide you want only Linkman, nothing else will be installed on your system.

Please Visit http://linkmanfree.outertech.com for download and detailed information.

[2. Linkman Pro, Shareware]

The "old" Linkman has become Linkman Pro.

All Linkman 7.0-7.50 serial numbers have been upgraded to the Linkman Pro status.

New in version 7.51:

* URL Validation can retrieve missing URL names

Example:

URL Name: Outertech
URL Path: http://www.outertech.com

If this option is checked, URL Validation will change the URL Name to the title of the webpage:

Outertech - computer memory and cache optimization, tuneup and internet utility software

The replacement will be only done if the URL Name is not present or is similar to the URL Path.

* Links can be added to Linkman using Internet Explorer Right-Click menu

iemenu.png

--

Webpage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Direct download: http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.zip

p.s.

Firefox 3 Integration is already in beta state and will be added to Linkman Pro/Free 7.60.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:28 PM by Outertech Support »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2008, 12:11 AM »
Wow Outertech!  Very surprising and awesome news!  How generous, thank you on behalf of us all.  Definitely looking forward to the Firefox integration.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2008, 06:59 PM »
We should have version 7.60 (with Firefox integration) ready in the next week.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2008, 03:58 AM »
The betatest will end on Sunday.

Here is a screenshot of the Firefox Integration (IE intergration is similar to this).

linkman_firefox.png
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:07 PM by Outertech Support »

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2008, 01:02 AM »
Version 7.60 is out!

Changes from 7.50:

* Firefox 3 integration
* Improved Internet Explorer integration
* Several minor tweaks and improvements

Direct download:

http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.zip

Webpage of Freeware version:

http://linkmanfree.outertech.com

Webpage of Shareware version:

http://linkmanpro.outertech.com

100 Page PDF Manual:

http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2008, 12:01 AM »
Just downloaded and installed the new version - looks good!

Haven't had a chance to work with it yet. No toolbar or buttons, right? Just the Tools and Context menu items as far as I can see. (Not a problem; just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything).

Thank you.

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2008, 10:55 PM »
There is a button (Linkman icon) in the right lower corner of the Firefox window.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:09 PM by Outertech Support »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53 PM »
There is a button (Linkman icon) in the right lower corner of the Firefox window.
-Outertech Support (November 12, 2008, 10:55 PM)

Aha - I hadn't noticed. Actually it is more to the left side of my status bar; other things already have the right side reserved, I guess. Plus it isn't a very noticeable icon; not something you would otherwise associate with Linkman. But now that I know it's there I'll be using it.

Thanks!

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07 AM »
Yes, it's not very noticable, but we didn't want to "steal" any valuable screen space. We've created the explanation screenshot that shows the function of the icon (scroll up).

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2008, 01:11 PM »
We have a new Linkman Build (7.6.0.16) available.

Among further improvements to Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer integration we have also created an introductory Linkman video.

Video:

http://www.outertech...rststeps_firefox.wmv

Direct download:

http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.zip

Webpage of Freeware version:

http://linkmanfree.outertech.com

Webpage of Shareware version:

http://linkmanpro.outertech.com

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Downloaded and installed. What changes were made in 7.6.0.16?

Thanks!

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2008, 02:11 AM »
The search window that you can call from the browser has been improved. You can access the links also in the menu and get additional options. The tutorial video shows it.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Looking good !  a very helpful video.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2008, 02:40 AM »
Linkman Pro on GAOTD today  :Thmbsup:

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I just downloaded the Linkman Free tonite from the Outertech website but it didn't live up to the reviews IMHO.  Once I told it to not install anything else, it offers quite a few and then tells you can remove them from add/remove which you cannot.

Upon restarting Firefox, it then opened a new window in IE 6 to a freeze.com news site which I did not want nor agree to.  So I immediately uninstalled it since it acted like malware to me.

It also had offered to to install SearchSquire and New.net.  I should have know better when it wanted to install from freeze.com but the name didn't jog my memory at first.

I was also suspicious when I downloaded a 4.5 meg file that I thought was Linkman Free and then during the install it downloaded something else.  who knows what.

Anyway the Revo Uninstaller did a good job in uninstalling it. I will run my a/v program tonite just to make sure  everything is gone.

My experience says "Stay away"!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19 PM »
I just downloaded the Linkman Free tonite from the Outertech website but it didn't live up to the reviews IMHO.  Once I told it to not install anything else, it offers quite a few and then tells you can remove them from add/remove which you cannot.

Upon restarting Firefox, it then opened a new window in IE 6 to a freeze.com news site which I did not want nor agree to.  So I immediately uninstalled it since it acted like malware to me.

It also had offered to to install SearchSquire and New.net.  I should have know better when it wanted to install from freeze.com but the name didn't jog my memory at first.

I was also suspicious when I downloaded a 4.5 meg file that I thought was Linkman Free and then during the install it downloaded something else.  who knows what.

Anyway the Revo Uninstaller did a good job in uninstalling it. I will run my a/v program tonite just to make sure  everything is gone.

My experience says "Stay away"!

Wow! I agree - stay far away from the so-called "free" version! The installation is "managed" by InstallIQ - what a treat. Here's a note about it that you can reach from a link on the Free Linkman page:

InstallIQ™ Information

Click the 'Download' button to begin downloading the software using InstallIQ™. When the download box appears, click 'Run' or 'Open' to start downloading. Once the download has been completed, the installation process will begin.

InstallIQ™ manages the installation of your software. During the installation we set cookies and update your registry:

* Our websites install cookies on your computer. The product and last session cookies includes information about when and what products you downloaded. The user cookie helps us to recognize you on subsequent visits. An identification cookie is placed on your computer if you choose to register with us. None of our cookies contain Personally Identifiable Information. For information on how to remove cookies click here.
      Remove Cookies
      To delete cookies in Internet Explorer:
         1. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
         2. On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Settings.
         3. Click the View files button.
         4. Click the Name column heading to sort all the files alphabetically, and then scroll down until you see the file your [email protected].
         5. Right-click the cookie click Delete, and then click Yes.
         6. Close the window that contains the list of files, and then click OK twice to return to Internet Explorer.
    * InstallIQ™ also updates your registry with a unique installer id. The installer id allows us to recognize you on all our websites. For information on how to remove the registry entry click here.
      Remove Registry Entries
      To Remove the Registry Entry:
         1. Start RegEdit and find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Freeze.com/Installer key.
         2. Press the delete key or click the right mouse button and click Delete.
         3. Exit Registry Editor.

InstallIQ™ automatically uninstalls once you have received your download.

Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
Copyright ©2008 W3i, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
-InstallIQ

Also, take a look at the InstallIQ T&C's. It is like reading an "Adware Pledge of Allegiance"! And their Privacy Policy is, well... not. No privacy at all. It says that your personal information IS shared with just about anyone they wish - not only for email solicitation but also your home address for postal mail, and download a screensaver with ads in it, change your home page, change your browser's search engine, etc.

This is not acceptable at all. Outertech - I am shocked. Such a good paid product, yet you are making an adware/malware-laden version available at the same time. Not acceptable at all.

This gives me pause as to what may come to me in updates of my licensed Linkman Pro software. Outertech - can you tell us what your plans are there?

Jim

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2008, 05:55 AM »
Ditto, Jim, Ditto

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2008, 06:00 AM »
I had to wonder if the users Outertech support, SKA, and cyberdiva were affilitaed with this program.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2008, 07:06 AM »
I had to wonder if the users Outertech support, SKA, and cyberdiva were affilitaed with this program.

Outertech Support is - and has acknowledged so elsewhere in this thread. I'm sure that neither SKA nor cyberdiva are affiliates, though.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Also, take a look at the InstallIQ T&C's. It is like reading an "Adware Pledge of Allegiance"! And their Privacy Policy is, well... not. No privacy at all. It says that your personal information IS shared with just about anyone they wish - not only for email solicitation but also your home address for postal mail, and download a screensaver with ads in it, change your home page, change your browser's search engine, etc.

This is not acceptable at all. Outertech - I am shocked. Such a good paid product, yet you are making an adware/malware-laden version available at the same time. Not acceptable at all.

This gives me pause as to what may come to me in updates of my licensed Linkman Pro software. Outertech - can you tell us what your plans are there?

Jim

The Linkman Free installer collects no personal user information whatsoever. You don't have to provide any information, not even your name. You get some adverts for other software/products during the installation with an accept/decline button. If you decline the other programs only Linkman Free will be installed and nothing else.

If you decide to download other software besides Linkman you may be asked for personal information (usually not), but nobody forces you to enter anything or download any screensavers. This is all purely optional.

The adds are only seen in the installer. After installation Linkman Free is completely add free and nothing else is in your system, unless you have decided to download and install something else during the install process (like the Yahoo Toolbar or a Registry Optimizer).

The installer has the http://www.truste.or...download_program.php seal, otherwise we would never have agreed to use it.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:11 PM by Outertech Support »