ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (16/52) > >>

cyberdiva:
I wrote again late last week because those issues are still happening, along with a few new ones, but again there is no acknowledgment reply, no actual reply from Outertech Support - nothing.

So as responsive as the developer tried to appear when this review was first written, I believe that was purely for PR reasons, with the review and the DC discount.  Three months without any replies at all from their support belies the praise that was heaped on this developer by the review.  I dumped Linkman.
-J-Mac (August 04, 2008, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Linkman had a serious server problem several months ago, and messages I sent them seemed to go unanswered.  Then, suddenly, I got a message from them explaining what had happened and responding to my questions.  From that point on, they have been extraordinarily responsive.  I'm thus stunned to hear that you've had more recent problems with non-response.  They have responded quickly and helpfully to every email I have sent them, and they've even created beta versions for me to test to see whether the betas solved problems I was having.  They did, and I was delighted to see that one feature found its way into the most recent regular release (7.50). 

Like some others on this forum, I used and loved Powermarks for many years.  Fortunately, I discovered Linkman just as Powermarks announced that they would no longer be updating that program.  Frankly, as much as I loved Powermarks, I'm even more enthusiastic about Linkman.  For those of you like me who were happy that Powermarks eliminated the need for storing bookmarks in folders, you can use Linkman the same way--you don't HAVE to use folders.  But starting with version 7.50, if you do use folders, the folder and sub-folder names can be included (just like keywords) in a search. 

Three more things I love about Linkman over Powermarks:
1) Linkman's URL validation is much more accurate and more flexible than Powermarks'
2) You can do boolean searches in Linkman ("and," "or" "and/and not")
3) If you want, you can search on a number of different fields (e.g., title, path, folder, etc.), not just on keywords

I should also note that the current version of Linkman has a Powermarks import feature (which it didn't have when I started using it, so I haven't tried it).

I use Firefox as my default browser, and I've had no problem using Linkman once I told Linkman the path for my default browser.  I also have Opera and Internet Explorer, and Linkman works with these as well, along with several browsers I don't have.

One more thing.  I remember that when I first tried Linkman, I HATED it because the Desktop Toolbar messed up my desktop and took up valuable space, and the Drop Basket kept getting in the way.  However, I soon realized that I could use Linkman perfectly well without those two "features," and from then on I grew more and more enthusiastic. 

I hope some of these comments prove helpful.  If you're unsure about Linkman, give it a try.  It has become one of my very favorite programs.

superboyac:
No, I have not claimed that it's not possible to add a toolbar to Firefox. I've just said that is very complicated to offer the same functionality that the IE toolbar has. The reason for this is the Linux compatibility of Firefox. AFAIK it does not allow any DCOM servers (which the Linkman IE Toolbar is). 7.x will offer a Firefox toolbar in the future. It's not like we are not doing anything, Linkman has received 3 major updates in this year alone.
-Outertech Support (September 26, 2008, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
I see.  I don't really know what you are talking about with the technical stuff, but I'm glad to hear it's not impossible.  So, do you think it will be possible to add the three buttons to the toolbar like Powermarks used to have?  It doesn't seem very complicated...one button opens the main menu, another adds the current page to the bookmark and fills in all the fields as usual, the other "silently" adds the bookmark, meaning there's no confirmation dialog.  Couldn't this be done easily?
If not with buttons, couldn't this be done with hotkeys at least (or maybe it can already be done)?
The part I really want is when you press a button or a hotkey, the current page from Firefox is added to the Linkman list, with all the keywords and addresses filled out automatically.

Outertech Support:
It will be added in 7.x.

superboyac:
It will be added in 7.x.
-Outertech Support (September 27, 2008, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah baby!  (does a little dance).

cyberdiva:
It will be added in 7.x.
-Outertech Support (September 27, 2008, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm delighted to hear this, since I too am a Firefox user. 

This is one of the things that has most impressed me about Linkman: they take customer feedback seriously.  I know other companies that either ignore suggestions or say "good idea, we'll look into it" and then nothing further happens.  Years later, they're still saying "we'll look into it."   In my experience, when Linkman says it will be added in 7.x, they mean it.  :Thmbsup: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version