ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

<< < (6/52) > >>

TucknDar:
I had a similar experience to Dormouse. Much was very right with Linkman, but I felt that what I needed was basically just better organized bookmarks, and that requires ME to make changes anyway. So I figured I could do with Opera's bookmark manager.

I did like part of the features of Linkman, like the search-as-you-type desktop toolbar (or what you call it). but FARR+Farrfox plugin essentially gives me the same feature.

(I experienced a few crashes as well, but unfortunately I rarely bother reporting such things... Sorry for being a lazy user. )

In conclusion, though, I did like Linkman quite a lot, and I liked how I could just send the currently opened URL to a folder with today's date without any interaction. But I ended up uninstalling it because I felt that the essential functionality I wanted could be somewhat reproduced with other apps, so couldn't justify spending money on it.

Tiesenhausen:
Hi,

Linkman sounds great, but for my personal needs it seems to share a great default with all the programs that try to replay Windows bookmarks. Maybe I'm wrong.

For all its defects, the Microsoft system lets the user put bookmarks anywhere: on the desktop, in the favorites folders, and in any directory.  For example, in one folder you can put an article you're writing, links to files on your disk with material for the article, links to images, and links to related websites. Or, in a folder named Berlin, you can put all your ondisk and internet links having to do with that city.

I've built up literally thousands of links (some duplicates, of course) scattered through hundreds of directories all over my hard drives and on three computers.

Linkman like every other similar system seems like it just imports the Microsoft links from the Favorites folder and turns them into better Linkman links.  I want all my links to stay where they are, including the ones in Favorites and all the rest. Furthermore, I want to be able quickly to copy any new link I create from its home folder into, maybe, dozens of other folders all over my network, and then maybe down the road copy any one of those scattered links into still more folders.

This is a very powerful and useful feature of Microsoft technology.  Sure the links system could be better, but not if I have to start all over again with a new system that is not integrated with the Microsoft folders organization.

Have I got it all wrong?

Michael Bates

J-Mac:
Hi Tiesenhausen Michael, and welcome to the DC forums!!

I haven't done much with my IE Favorites in a few years, but IIRC they are similar to Firefox's bookmarks - and its bookmarks organizer.  That is, not very user friendly in the way of organizing quickly, easily, and in a way that is unique to you.  IOW, not much at all in the way of user configuration.

Linkman is - hopefully - an application that allows us to organize our Favorites/bookmarks the way we can use them most efficiently and effectively.  I cannot say exactly how well it does that just yet, as I just installed it last night and am trying it out to see how I like it myself.

It appears at first blush that it does indeed give me more organizing options than does the default bookmarks manager in Firefox.  However it also appears to be more geared toward IE than anything else.  If you have read the posts in this thread - which I am sure you have - then you can see that.

That alone is not a deal-killer for me at all, though to be honest I would like to see more of a commitment to Firefox before I make a purchase.  Also, I would prefer something that is extremely mobile - even an online solution.  Linkman may well be mobile enough via using it on a USB flash drive, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Really just a way to cook and mix your Favorites a little more than the default Favorites.

Jim

KenR:
Hi all.

After I wrote this review, it received few replies so I stopped following the thread shortly thereafter. I have been happily using the program with Firefox with no difficulty since before I wrote the review. If anyone still has questions, please let me know and I will try to address them (though obviously the author knows far more and has been addressing issues as well). I'm delighted the review has been helpful to some people.

Ken

P.S. Ha Ha Zaine! <vbg>

J-Mac:
@Ken or Outertech Support:

The method for adding URL's using the deskbar is fairly simple, except for one aspect, and I have not yet found a quick remedy:  Clicking the globe w/Link icon auto adds the URL to my bookmarks, but it goes to whichever folder is highlighted in the Linkman window, which is, of course, not visible when adding URLs.  If I wanted to add the bookmark to a specific folder in my bookmarks (actually my Linkman bookmarks), how do I accomplish this without opening the main Linkman interface?

That is probably the one thing I would miss by not using the Firefox extension "OpenBook".  It's dialog has a smaller representation of my Fx Bookmarks folder contents and I can quickly navigate to the directory/sub-directory where I would like to place the URL I am trying to add. Screen Cap below:

MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version