topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool  (Read 247952 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2009, 10:41 AM »
There still seems to be some kind of bug with the sorting.  I have it set up to sort by launch count first, and then by rating:
Screenshot_20090318-082859.png
So the bug from last time was fixed (about only going by the first digit of the launch count), but now why are the bookmarks with nothing in the launch count column being sorted before those that have numbers?  And how to I change all the nothing launch counts to be zero?  See screenshot below:
Screenshot_20090318-082834.pngMiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool

Also, big thanks for adding the buttons for firefox.  Would it be possible to make the buttons such that the users can place them individually wherever they want on the normal firefox toolbar.  Powermarks used to be able to do this, and I really liked putting the button right next to the address bar because that's where the dropdown arrow is for firefox's own address histories...so everything is in one place.  Anyway, I'm sure users would appreciate being able to stick it wherever they want, if that could be possible.

Thanks for all the updates!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2009, 10:45 AM »
but now why are the bookmarks with nothing in the launch count column being sorted before those that have numbers?  And how to I change all the nothing launch counts to be zero? 
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Nothing = zero, and 1 > 0, right?

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2009, 12:35 PM »
The escape bug has been fixed in 7.8.0.9.

As to the sorting. Please evaluate all the columns and post comments how empty cells should be handled with ascending and descending sorting.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:40 PM by Outertech Support »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2009, 12:49 PM »
As far as launch count goes, an empty cell should be equal to zero.  That makes sense to me.  it definitely shouldn't be equal to infinity.  There's a reason why it has no launch count and that's probably because it's not used much (at all, in fact).  Or simply add a way where I can replace all the blanks with zero quickly.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:40 AM by Outertech Support »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Sorting has been changed in 7.8.0.10.

http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.exe
http://www.outertech...iles/linkmanlite.exe
-Outertech Support (March 18, 2009, 03:12 PM)
Fantastic response time, outertech.  The sorting works perfectly.  I really appreciate the effort.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Indeed. Very impressive support with this company :up: Now if only Collec.... ehm other companies showed the same respect for its users :-\

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2009, 12:55 PM »
A new Donationcoder Linkman Pro discount coupon is available:

https://www.donation...?topic=13127.new#new

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2009, 03:00 PM »
I've just downloaded and installed Linkman 7.80. On importing Firefox 3 bookmarks it seems that Linkman does not import the bookmarks stored in FF3 under "Bookmarks Toolbar" (this is what used to be called "Personal toolbar Folder" in earlier versions of Firefox, a branch separate from the "Bookmarks Menu" in FF).

I'm afraid this is a showstopper for me, since *all* my important bookmarks go into folders under that section, so that FF displays them directly under the address bar, and I can manipulate them without using the weak manager built into Firefox. Right now I have 19 folders under "Bookmarks Toolbar", each with twenty-plus bookmarks - Linkman's import function seems to have ignored that. Is this behavior by design?

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2009, 03:37 PM »
I've just imported a test database and Linkman was able to import "Bookmarks Toolbar" as a folder, including all content. Is there a possibility you could send your FF3 bookmark file to linkman at outertech.com?

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I've just imported a test database and Linkman was able to import "Bookmarks Toolbar" as a folder, including all content. Is there a possibility you could send your FF3 bookmark file
-Outertech Support (April 01, 2009, 03:37 PM)

Done, thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:53 PM by tranglos »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2009, 11:31 PM »
When I first imported my Firefox bookmarks last year the Bookmarks Toolbar came in as a folder and all folders under it came in too. Weird.

Jim

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Hi Folks,

Here is another current false positive by A-squared (Emsi) looking at Linkman, with the heuristic component on.

[2388] C:\Program Files\Linkman\Linkman.exe    detected: Heuristic.Dialer.RAS!A2

I mention it here because it can be very frustrating trying to get even the simplest false positive corrected through the anti-virus bureaucracies -- as I learned through a difficult Emsi experience which flagged a task manager on another system.

Emsi also tends to put VNC programs as medium risk, also sometimes Network or FTP references, however those are mostly not files but registry entries, so far less of a concern.  And gave popups on a UBCD4 iso until I restricted the scan (note,  I did not find an "exclude folder" method which would have made it easier, only include).  And Emsi put three VNC files into quarantine without asking -- although it was easy to put them back.

There was one other file reference, other than the Linkman false positive, that I am researching.  However most of the side stuff I can put on another thread, if of interest.  Here I just want to mention the Linkman false positive.

Later I hope to get back to the features and all the ins and outs of using Linkman, including some questions and issues about the merging of files and the ins and outs, pluses and minuses, of the Dropbox connection.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:32 PM by Steven Avery »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Hi, Steven.  Experiences similar to the ones you've described finally led me to give up on a-squared.  I uninstalled it from my computer and haven't been sorry.  That's not to say that I've given up on anti-malware programs, just on a-squared (and AVG).  Right now the ones I've got on my computer are SpyBot, AdAware 2008, SuperAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  I run scans with one or another of them pretty regularly, but since I lead an amazingly boring computer life, they tend not to find much.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2009, 05:19 PM »

[2388] C:\Program Files\Linkman\Linkman.exe    detected: Heuristic.Dialer.RAS!A2

I mention it here because it can be very frustrating trying to get even the simplest false positive corrected through the anti-virus bureaucracies -- as I learned through a difficult Emsi experience which flagged a task manager on another system.
-Steven Avery (April 20, 2009, 11:48 AM)

The problem is that they don't see it as a false positive. All that Heuristic.Dialer.RAS!A2 means is that Linkman has the ability to dial a ISDN/Modem connection (Tools | Settings | Connection), nothing more. This feature is turned off by default and not harmful in any way. All that A-squared does is analyze Linkman.exe and look if it links to the Microsoft RAS (Remote Access Services) API.

-----------------------------

We have a new build out, 7.8.0.12.

Major changes:

- fixed import of Firefox 3 bookmarks modified by external programs
- fixed import of Favorites modified by Foxmarks
- removed Chrome import, until Google decides to stop playing around with the data format
- Linkman now auto-corrects links to local files with wrong space convertions in file names

Shareware Version (Linkman Pro, $25, 30 day trial):

Homepage: http://linkmanpro.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...files/linkmanpro.exe

Freeware version (Linkman Lite):

Homepage: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...iles/linkmanlite.exe

--

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

PDF Manual: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.pdf
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:43 PM by Outertech Support »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33 PM »
- fixed import of Firefox 3 bookmarks modified by external programs
-Outertech Support (April 20, 2009, 05:19 PM)

Thanks, Outertech!

Since this is the issue I reported a few days ago, would you be willing to describe what the problem with the bookmarks db was? As best I recall, I never modified places.sqlite with an external application, though I did use programs like SQLite Spy to view the contents (and to trim a number of bookmarks and history records for privacy before I sent the file over to you - but the import problem affected the original file). I certainly never modified the schema.

On the other hand, my bookmark collection is pretty old - it dates back to 2.x versions of Netscape. I first tranferred it to Mozilla, whe it appeared, then to early releases of Firefox (where the html format was essentially unchanged), and lately Firefox converted the file itself to sqlite. I have also edited the bookmarks heabily inside Firefox. Was the db schema somehow abnormal? I'm not seeing any problems or missing functionality in Firefox, but then again I may not know whay I'm missing!

Thanks a lot again for working around that; I'll be giving Linkman another spin.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2009, 05:47 PM »
Thanks, Outertech!

Since this is the issue I reported a few days ago, would you be willing to describe what the problem with the bookmarks db was?

Your file had not the same structure as a file created by a fresh FF3 installation. That was all. Now Linkman parses much more carefully to be prepared for more eventualities. The same goes for the Favorites import.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2009, 11:42 PM »
[edit]
Whoops!  Seems to have been fixed in the latest version.  Thanks!

Bug:
When Linkman is sorted by launch count, items with a blank count are placed before items with an actual count.  It shouldn't be that way.  Blank should be either equal to zero, or less than zero.
Screenshot_20090618214014.pngMiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:46 PM by superboyac »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2009, 11:54 PM »
I received the post notification and since I'm here I might as well say something:

Linkman Pro has really become a mainstay for me! When I first purchased it at the time of the review that started this thread there were a lot of little things that gave me difficulty. Some just products of my own ignorance of how Linkman worked, but also some which were truly a problem using especially with Firefox. However at this point I can confidently say that Linkman is one of those programs that is among the very first I install on a new computer, or after a Windows reinstall. It is indispensable here.

Thanks Outertech dudes!   :)

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2009, 04:41 PM »
I received the post notification and since I'm here I might as well say something:

Linkman Pro has really become a mainstay for me! When I first purchased it at the time of the review that started this thread there were a lot of little things that gave me difficulty. Some just products of my own ignorance of how Linkman worked, but also some which were truly a problem using especially with Firefox. However at this point I can confidently say that Linkman is one of those programs that is among the very first I install on a new computer, or after a Windows reinstall. It is indispensable here.

Thanks Outertech dudes!   :)

Jim

Well, the last line of my post above mentions that Linkman will be one of my first apps installed on any new computer, meaning I consider it one of my top programs. I had the chance to prove that yesterday after performing a clean install of Windows 7 and ran into a major problem: The Linkman Firefox extension borked my Firefox installation somehow. After installing Linkman  - with Firefox closed so the extension could be installed - I reopened Firefox and no Linkman extension. It didn't show up, though. Every time I opened Firefox after that the Linkman extension tried to install but failed each time. Worse yet the extension installing features of Firefox also disappeared! The last several extensions I had just installed now said that they would install after restarting Firefox. Huh? Tried that several times but Firefox had dumped most of the extensions and would not install anymore. After about an hour and a half of troubleshooting I gave up and uninstalled Firefox.

Reinstalled Firefox today and all is well - though I have not tried to install the Linkman extension again.

I wrote to support about it but I don't expect any help from there. I waited more than three months last year for a reply from Outertech support and finally got a reply (Which said simply "Screenshot would help"). That was explained away by claiming "server problems". Lately, though, things don't seem to have improved: I wrote to support on November 18 and never heard a word. And yes, I capture all junk mail and check it daily. Nothing from Outertech.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Linkman Firefox extension on Windows 7? (I am using Firefox 3.5.5)

Thanks.

Jim

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I can't remember if it was Windows 7, but I once had a problem where I installed Linkman and the Firefox extension didn't get installed along with the program. I think the way I fixed it was by having to create a new profile in Firefox.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2009, 09:25 PM »
J-Mac we have received your email, among with some other users, but waited with the response until we can find a fix. The problem is that we cannot reproduce it on our Windows 7 systems and only few users have this problem. We hope to have a solution soon.

Installing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 into VMWare, installing Firefox 3.5.5, followed by Linkman 7.80.12 provides no errors whatsoever. The Linkman Firefox extension works.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:37 PM by Outertech Support »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2009, 09:50 PM »
I can't remember if it was Windows 7, but I once had a problem where I installed Linkman and the Firefox extension didn't get installed along with the program. I think the way I fixed it was by having to create a new profile in Firefox.

I had this problem with the trial of Linkman, Firefox 3.x and Vista 64-bit, if that helps...

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: December 06, 2009, 10:10 PM »
This may be a bug in the Linkman installer. To install the extension (LinkmanFox.xpi) the installer reads the path value from $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini, [Profile0] section.

It gets a value like this: Profiles/l2qwtl3g.default

/ is replaced by \ and LinkmanFox.xpi copied to $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\l2qwtl3g.default\extensions.

When Firefox is (re)started it loads and installs the xpi file.

As I said on a freshly installed Windows 7 + Firefox 3.5.5, the installation works without any problems.

p.s.

We have put LinkmanFox.xpi as a manual download on Outertech.com. You may try to skip the Firefox integration in the installer (uncheck the option) and then drag & drop LinkmanFox.xpi manually to the Firefox window and report if it works.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:13 PM by Outertech Support »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2009, 10:43 PM »
This may be a bug in the Linkman installer. To install the extension (LinkmanFox.xpi) the installer reads the path value from $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini, [Profile0] section.

It gets a value like this: Profiles/l2qwtl3g.default

/ is replaced by \ and LinkmanFox.xpi copied to $APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\l2qwtl3g.default\extensions.

When Firefox is (re)started it loads and installs the xpi file.

As I said on a freshly installed Windows 7 + Firefox 3.5.5, the installation works without any problems.
-Outertech Support (December 06, 2009, 10:10 PM)

This IS a freshly installed Windows 7 (an hour and a half after installing Win7), and Firefox 3.5.5.

p.s.

We have put LinkmanFox.xpi as a manual download on Outertech.com. You may try to skip the Firefox integration in the installer (uncheck the option) and then drag & drop LinkmanFox.xpi manually to the Firefox window and report if it works.
-Outertech Support (December 06, 2009, 10:10 PM)

I'll give the drag/drop method a try. BTW, I don't see the Firefox extension download anywhere on your web site....

Also, a suggestion: Listing the FF extension on the Mozilla Addons site would avoid problems like this; they review all extensions and make sure that mistakes like this are few, if any.

PS - regarding the email issues: a simple acknowledgment that you received them and are working on it - you could even use an auto-responder - would at least let users know that it is not a "server problem" that will take 3-4 months like before.

Thank you.

Jim