topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool  (Read 247975 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer and Search Tool
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Linkman can certainly import your IE favorites and Firefox bookmarks.  And once they're imported, Linkman has a Delete Duplicates feature you can run (go to Tools --> Delete duplicates) that will either delete the duplicates or move them to a duplicates folder (you choose which action you'd prefer).  

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2008, 12:15 AM »
I was wondering if there is a possibility that Linkman searches my entire drives and collects all existing IE, firefox bookmarks and eliminates duplicates.

I am carrying quite a lot in too many backup directories and this would help.

thanks

If you mean does it scan and find them automatically, no - I don’t believe that is possible in Linkman. Importing is easy enough but you have to point Linkman at your favorites/bookmarks. It can import, AFAIK, from Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, and Excel.

Jim

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: MiniReview of Linkman URL Organizer- 60% discount - 21 hour to go
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2008, 01:32 AM »
"Linkman Pro    - The bookmark management tool

Today only: $10
Regular price: $ 25 , you save 60%"
http://www.fevodiscount.com/

Discount still has about 21 hours to run

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2008, 02:29 AM »
"Linkman Pro    - The bookmark management tool

Today only: $10
Regular price: $ 25 , you save 60%"
http://www.fevodiscount.com/

Discount still has about 21 hours to run

Wow! Good catch, patteo. Definitely worth it - if I didn't already have it I'd buy it now!   :D

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I feel the same way, Jim.  Linkman is one of my favorite pieces of software.  At $25, it's a great value;  at $10, it's a steal!  :up:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Feature requests:
--Add all 4 buttons to Firefox.  (Search in Linkman, Show Linkman, add to linkman, add to linkman and edit)

--Allow users to control which buttons appear or not.

--Import launch count from Powermarks.

--Allow secondary column sorting.  For example, if I want to sort by launch count, but the launch count is equal, then the secondary sort can be set to rating or description, etc.

--Allow batch assigning ratings.  If I select a bunch of bookmarks and want them all rated "2" then I should be able to do it.  Now, if I select them all and go to assign a rating, it only does one of them.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Feature requests:
--Add all 4 buttons to Firefox.  (Search in Linkman, Show Linkman, add to linkman, add to linkman and edit)

--Allow secondary column sorting.  For example, if I want to sort by launch count, but the launch count is equal, then the secondary sort can be set to rating or description, etc.

--Allow batch assigning ratings.  If I select a bunch of bookmarks and want them all rated "2" then I should be able to do it.  Now, if I select them all and go to assign a rating, it only does one of them.

The only thing I can think to add to these is the ability to control how many context menu items are added to Internet Explorer. I think it is currently four!

If you think that they are all needed, then add a submenu to the IE context menu and have them fly out from there.

Thanks!

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2008, 08:22 AM »
Feature requests:
Since right-clicking on the Linkman Fox icon gives you all four possibilities, why would you want separate buttons?  Wouldn't that just add clutter? 

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Feature requests:

batch assigning of ratings not working is a bug (it works in the treeview! does not in the query results) and will be fixed in 7.7.0.6.

the same goes for the launch count import from powermarks.

as to the buttons, I think they are in the todo list.

p.s.

you can assign hotkeys to all 4 of these functions.

The only thing I can think to add to these is the ability to control how many context menu items are added to Internet Explorer. I think it is currently four!

If you think that they are all needed, then add a submenu to the IE context menu and have them fly out from there.

Thanks!

Jim

I think most users would be against a submenu, because it would slow down the operations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:37 AM by Outertech Support »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Here are my thoughts on the latest version 7.70 (all related to Firefox integration):

First of all, in the "search in linkman" right-click, you can now use the up/down arrow to move from the query box into the results pane.  That is just fantastic.  Really, that's a big deal.  Thank you for that.  That makes the program just about perfect.  In fact, as far as that search box goes, it's everything I want it to be.  Also, the escape key works great in clearing/exiting.  These quick shortcuts mean everything to the Powermarks users.  In fact, in some ways, it's better.

Now, I am still looking for two more buttons to be added in Firefox.  You have the silently add button already, but we two more buttons for "search in linkman" and "add and edit".  Actually, in the right-click, you have 4 functions there.  It would be ideal if we could have all 4 functions available as buttons.
Since right-clicking on the Linkman Fox icon gives you all four possibilities, why would you want separate buttons?  Wouldn't that just add clutter? 
No, it would be better.  Of course, there should be the option of which buttons you want to show.  So everyone's happy.  In my case (and many others I'm guessing) when we're clicking around with the mouse, it's just easier to click a button, then click a bookmark and go.

This program is shaping up very nicely.  It's a replacement for Powermarks already in my book.  In fact, ever since trying out the latest version, I'm convinced that Outertech will further improve the program and help us forget about Powermarks.  So, I'm now going to FINALLY install Firefox 3 at home, since I now have a good bookmark manager to use with it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21 PM »

Thanks!

Jim

I think most users would be against a submenu, because it would slow down the operations.

-Outertech Support (December 31, 2008, 08:33 AM)

Well then can you provide a way for we users who don’t fear that it "...would slow down the operations"  to remove at least three of the context menu items? Please?!? Currently if I leave all context menu items from all apps as is, my context menu is off the page top and bottom. Too many developers seem to think that their applications are the most important thing on the users' computers and add way too many context menu items!  (And please understand: I do not mean that Linkman is not important - it is very important to me! But there are other ways to access these commands. In IE I use the Linkman Toolbar!)

As an example, I uninstalled all my HP and Canon printer software because of this - between the two of them there were 13 additional items on the right-click menu. IMO, that's crazy.

Let's face it - four is too many for most users, especially when the Linkman toolbar is available and as handy as it is. If these were relative items, like Scrapbook and others who have the context menu items only appear when they are needed, that would be different. But these "four horsemen of the Linkman" are always present.  :P  BTW, in Firefox I use an old extension that I modified to work with FF3 called Menu Editor that lets me configure my context menu however I choose. I removed all but the "Search in Linkman" items, but only because all the other items are already in the status bar icon - which I use quite a bit.

Anyway, that's my take on it.  :)

Thanks!

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I've added an item to the todo list that will let users of the Linkman IE Toolbar disable the context menu items.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2008, 04:31 PM »
I've added an item to the todo list that will let users of the Linkman IE Toolbar disable the context menu items.
-Outertech Support (December 31, 2008, 02:09 PM)

Thank you! That is very much appreciated.

Jim

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Feature requests:

You can accomplish this already with a trick.

Example for primary sorting by comment and secondary sorting by launch date:

1. Go to Tools | Sort
2. Turn on Autosort and select up to 2 sorting methods (Sort Order 1 will equal to the second and Sort Order 2 to the third sort order in the query)
    For this example this means you should set launch date as Sort Order 1 and leave Sort Order 2 at none.
3. Perform a query search and sort by comment (click once on the comment column header)

The result will be a display sorted by comment and if comment is equal, by launch date.

p.s.

Another Tip: you can change the order of the query columns by drag & dropping them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 04:44 PM by Outertech Support »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Thanks for the sortiing tip, very helpful.  I'm close to committing to Linkman.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2009, 10:55 AM »
OK, Outertech said that it is not possible to open bookmarks in the current tab (as opposed to a new tab, or new window).  Is this really true?  I'm not saying it isn't, I just find it a little hard to believe it can't be done.  In the version history for TabMix (a firefox addon) they are able to open links in current tabs.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2009, 03:14 PM »
You can open a link in the current tab from within Firefox by using Javascript. This is why this works from a firefox addon.

If you send a URL to firefox from another other process (tried this both by using the command line and DDE) Firefox will always open a new tab.

Launching into the current tab from a process works with IE and Opera - you can check it by going into Tools | Settings | Launch URLs in Linkman (use existing window option).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2009, 03:33 PM »
Aargh! How frustrating.  Darn, that would have made everything perfect.  It's not that big a deal, I suppose.  It just gets a little annoying with all the tabs...I hope a workaround comes about later.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2009, 04:01 PM »

We have looked at the function today and it's only a display glitch (which will be fixed). The rating is assigned, you can see this by doing the same query again (click on query button).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2009, 10:43 AM »
We have looked at the function today and it's only a display glitch (which will be fixed). The rating is assigned, you can see this by doing the same query again (click on query button).
-Outertech Support (January 06, 2009, 04:01 PM)
You're right, it's just a bug.  The ratings are working.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Feature request:
a way to sync between work/home computers.  Powermarks use(d) something called NetSync.  It was a server hosted by the author.  See below:
Screenshot_20090109-085248.png

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Some sort of Internet Sync is planned for 8.0.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Some sort of Internet Sync is planned for 8.0.
-Outertech Support (January 09, 2009, 01:23 PM)
very cool.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Feature request:
a way to sync between work/home computers.  Powermarks use(d) something called NetSync. 
Isn't it just as easy to save your Linkman file to a flash drive and then transfer the file to your Linkman setup on the other computer?  That's what I did for years with Powermarks.  Even after they made Net Sync available, I preferred keeping my bookmarks to myself; I also didn't want to be dependent on the availability of another site.  I currently have Linkman on only one computer, but if I put it on another one, I'd probably use the same sync procedure I used with Powermarks.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2009, 03:56 PM »
One word - Dropbox. It works.  :)

Jim