topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The quiet disappearance of the top two mp3 cataloging software.  (Read 35572 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Slowly and quietly, off of most people's radars, the top two programs for cataloging mp3 files are soon to disappear off the web completely.  I'm talking about MP3Rat (from Kaylon Technologies, makers of the fabulous PowerMarks; also dying and the best in it's class by far) and Mp3 Collector (Collectorz.com).  I've discussed both these programs at length in other threads here, but it's very sad to see these best in class (nobody comes close) programs about to die.  In the case of MP3Rat, it's already dead as it's sister program PowerMarks.  In MP3 Collector's case, it's still around, but hasn't really been updated in ages (besides very minor things) and, at least to me, it seems to be on its way out also.  As it stands, I think it is by far the least popular of the Collectorz.com suite anyway, which doesn't help motivate the authors to work on it vs their other programs.

Part of the problem, and these continue to be my nemesis, is the bundling of the cataloging features with the music players (jukeboxes).  Sure it's handy to have it all in one location, but the universal truth remains, "Jack of all trades, master of none."  None of these programs are quite as nice as MP3Rat or MP3 Collector.  It's just the fact that they are stand-alone, and the others are integrated in their favorite player.  But for us who are very picky about features, its a compromise we aren't willing to deal with.  That's why I have a separate music player, a separate encoding/decoding converter, a separate cataloger (two actually), and so forth.

It's very sad.  It reminds me of when KeyNote went down (is marek still around here?).  KeyNote was like a pioneer.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The quiet disappearance of the top two mp3 cataloging software.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:18 PM »
haven't seen this one listed anywhere else here, but a possible alternative is simon tellini's <a href="http://www.tellini.org/win/mp3cat/">MP3 Cat</a>

I tried a heap of these things several years ago and settled on this one (sadly it's no longer freeware)

Target

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:05 PM »
haven't seen this one listed anywhere else here, but a possible alternative is simon tellini's <a href="http://www.tellini.org/win/mp3cat/">MP3 Cat</a>

I tried a heap of these things several years ago and settled on this one (sadly it's no longer freeware)

Target
That's funny, MP3 Rat--> MP3 Cat.  I wonder if he's trying to one-up Kaylon.  From first glance, it's missing the greatest thing about MP3 Rat, and that's the lighting fast search box on top.  If the search isn't as good as MP3 Rat, then it's just another cataloger, and I'll have to try it out and see if it's even as good as MP3 Collector, which is the best.  Nice find!  I can't believe I never knew about it!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:31 PM »
can't speak for the search functionality as I rarely use it - I don't tend to collect loose tracks (it's generally the whole album) and i don't catalogue my HDD, so this may or may not suit your req's

I liked it because it was the only one that I'd found that displayed the way i wanted - by artist.

it's small and it doesn't try to be a one stop shop, which suits me fine

also worth noting that it used to be freeware (1.28 was the last I think - current ver is 2.4) so you may be able to find a copy of the free version if you google

target

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37 PM »
superboyac,

Having recently purchased both Movie Collector and Music Collector from Collectorz.com, I was looking hard at MP3 Collector.  As recently as a week ago I was browsing through its forum and became worried just as you apparently are here.  It has not been updated and requests about its future and the time table for an updated release have gone pretty much unanswered. The Collectorz mods there rarely reply to posts there, though they are very active on all other forums.  A post queried about the next update in December and the response was, "We will revisit MP3 Collector next year  :) "  Not very much of a commitment!  So I decided to hold off on any purchase, at least for now.  I am very much pleased with Movie and Music Collector presently; why take a chance of souring my opinion of the developer by spending top dollar on a product that seems to be on the way out?  Better to stay happy with what I have!!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:27 AM »
superboyac,

Having recently purchased both Movie Collector and Music Collector from Collectorz.com, I was looking hard at MP3 Collector.  As recently as a week ago I was browsing through its forum and became worried just as you apparently are here.  It has not been updated and requests about its future and the time table for an updated release have gone pretty much unanswered. The Collectorz mods there rarely reply to posts there, though they are very active on all other forums.  A post queried about the next update in December and the response was, "We will revisit MP3 Collector next year  :) "  Not very much of a commitment!  So I decided to hold off on any purchase, at least for now.  I am very much pleased with Movie and Music Collector presently; why take a chance of souring my opinion of the developer by spending top dollar on a product that seems to be on the way out?  Better to stay happy with what I have!!

Jim
Like I said before, I don't blame the Collectorz staff for that.  In the beginning, they were very responsive, but at the time, the software was still new.  As they added more software, the MP3 Collector became their least popular one out of the suite, which is not their fault.  Someone on the forum asked them about their lack of attention to the MP3 Collector and they responded with what I wrote above, that they have to address the needs of their other software first because that's where the bills are being paid.

The real blame here goes to the jukeboxes that include their "good enough" cataloging features.  Also, I think most users are not so very picky and anal about the way they catalog their music files (like me) so they have no motivation to find another program, because MusicMatch, or Winamp, or Media Monkey, is providing 99% of the features for them.

But even with that being the case, the MP3 Collector program still works great for now.  It could be looked at from a different perspective, where it's polished enough where features don't really need to be added or it's not that urgent.  There are a couple of nifty feature requests out there, but for the most part, I have no complaints.

Target, MP3 Cat used to be free?  That's cool, but I guess he changed his mind!  Oh well.  It's good to have another option out there.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:43 AM »
…Like I said before, I don't blame the Collectorz staff for that.  In the beginning, they were very responsive, but at the time, the software was still new.  As they added more software, the MP3 Collector became their least popular one out of the suite, which is not their fault.  Someone on the forum asked them about their lack of attention to the MP3 Collector and they responded with what I wrote above, that they have to address the needs of their other software first because that's where the bills are being paid.…

I do understand, but I do not agree with your statement about "fault". I'm not sure what in the heck you mean there!

Fault? It's not their fault that they ignore that forum? Then whose fault is it? Let's be honest: they sell that application for the same relatively high price that they sell the others in their stable. Regardless of the popularity, or lack thereof, that you claim, the users who purchased MP3 Collector did so in good faith and paid with dollars of the same value, right? Don't they deserve at least the same level of effort from the developer as those who have paid the same for, say, Movie Collector? Or Music Collector?  How can you say that they are without fault for, first, seemingly ceasing all further development, and second, not supporting the forum for that app?  Come on, that's just not right!

You seem to be blaming the user base for not being larger for MP3 Collector. If it is not supported by the users, then announce that they are stopping development and if they want to continue to make it available, then either make it a free download and don't support it at all. Or reduce the price to reflect the "non-support" status of that program!

But even with that being the case, the MP3 Collector program still works great for now.  It could be looked at from a different perspective, where it's polished enough where features don't really need to be added or it's not that urgent.  There are a couple of nifty feature requests out there, but for the most part, I have no complaints.

Really? It's just... perfect, so let it be. Is it also so perfect that questions from users are not worthy of replies? You are being facetious, aren't you?  (Actually, that sounds just like Nuance's theory of non-support!)

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:28 AM »
J-Mac, ok, I can see your point there.  True, we should have the same kind of support that the other collectorz software gets.  But, my point of this thread was not complaining or anything like that.  I was just kind of thinking about why these kinds of software aren't more popular that's all.  it wouldn't surprise me if Collectorz decided not to sell or support the MP3 software because it's more trouble than its worth to them.  I'm not saying that's right, but I wouldn't be surprised.

No, I'm not disagreeing with you.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Well, it's definitely enough to cause me to hesitate in making the purchase.  If they stated some kind of commitment to the application I would buy it right away; I was ready to a week and a half ago. But I think I would rather wait and see what they do with it now.

If I make the purchase at full price and they discontinue it shortly thereafter I'll be beating my head against the wall!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:05 PM »
My recommendation is to go ahead and buy it.  But that's easy for me to say!  I actually bought it years ago when they offered a lifetime license.  If you are satisfied with the current feature set, then I would get it right now, regardless of support issues.  I'm pretty familiar with the competition in this category, and they really don't compare to this program.  I don't think you will regret it.  Let me clarify something.  I also get frustrated when a company has poor support, but in this case, the issue is that they are slow with their updates.  But, in their defense, the program works great, the lack of updates is only for some feature requests that people want.  If it were a bug, and they weren't fixing it, then that's another issue, but that's not the case here.
I don't think they will discontinue the product because their other products are doing well, so unless they all go down, I don't think MP3 collector will go down.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of their software.  I just really like it when a company gets a program right, and they have in this case. 

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 01:44 PM »
But the title of your thread here is "The Quiet Disappearance of the top two mp3 cataloging software.".  Looks like you're saying there that you believe it is effectively a "dead application". Well, actually you said that MP3 Collector is "...soon to disappear off the web completely."  Are you changing your thinking?  :huh:

Really, though, I probably won't buy it unless I see some sort of commitment, as I mentioned in a post above. Or, of course, if they decide to officially declare it "dead" and lower the price.  If they want the same price as I paid them for Movie Collector and Music Collector (both of which I really like quite a bit!), then I want at least a similar degree of commitment, specifically in the form of active development and support in the forum!

That's not unreasonable, it it?

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 02:08 PM »
OK, ok, you caught me! ;D
The truth is this:  MP3Rat is dead.  MP3 Collector is alive and probably will be as long as the rest of the Collectorz software is alive.  I just wanted to relate the two somehow, and probably overexaggerated for MP3 Collector.  All I know is that it's the least popular of the Collectorz bunch (straight from the mouth of the company) and that's why it gets the least attention as far as updates and such.  But I shouldn't have said that it was dying, my bad.

What I wanted to say was that because of the alternatives out there, the stand-alone mp3 catalogers seem to be phasing out.

I really, really don't think you have to worry about MP3 Collector being discontinued any time in the near future or as long as the other software is being developed.  In fact, I expect minor updates occasionally in the future, and possible major updates every 2-3 years.  Again, I want to emphasize that in the current state, the program is great and doesn't lack much, and is better than anything else out there.

Sorry for the confusion, I think I was being a little overly dramatic.  You know, everyone's needs are different, and if the rate of active development is the critical factor for you, then by all means don't buy it.  I just think you might be missing out overall because the alternatives may not be as good, or you might not be using any software for that purpose at all.

GHammer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18 AM »
Though you have a distaste for AIO tools, have you looked at J River Media Center?
If it does not have a field you want, you can add it.
As for searching, I can't think of a way to search that it will not do.
And it is fast, with my 6K files anyway.
Version 12 is much better than previous efforts in nearly all areas, but especially in the library functions.
http://tinyurl.com/32lhmu

The free, audio only version may suit your needs too but I have not run it as I have a license for the full version which does audio, video, and images.
http://tinyurl.com/2v32ru

Edit: Spelling...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:19 AM by GHammer »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41 AM »
I don't know if I've ever tried Media Center.  There was a time last year when I tried the various jukebox programs, I don't know if that was one of them.  it was difficult for me to get over the AIO aspect of these programs, because every time I looked somewhere, I was thinking "Foobar can do that better", "MP3 Collector can do that better", "Tag and Rename can do that better" "dbPowerAmp can do that better", and so forth.  So, truthfully, I probably never delved into any of those jukebox programs enough to really know what they're all about.

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Slowly and quietly, off of most people's radars, the top two programs for cataloging mp3 files are soon to disappear off the web completely.  I'm talking about MP3Rat (from Kaylon Technologies, makers of the fabulous PowerMarks; also dying and the best in it's class by far) and Mp3 Collector (Collectorz.com).  I've discussed both these programs at length in other threads here, but it's very sad to see these best in class (nobody comes close) programs about to die.  In the case of MP3Rat, it's already dead as it's sister program PowerMarks.  In MP3 Collector's case, it's still around, but hasn't really been updated in ages (besides very minor things) and, at least to me, it seems to be on its way out also.  As it stands, I think it is by far the least popular of the Collectorz.com suite anyway, which doesn't help motivate the authors to work on it vs their other programs.

Part of the problem, and these continue to be my nemesis, is the bundling of the cataloging features with the music players (jukeboxes).  Sure it's handy to have it all in one location, but the universal truth remains, "Jack of all trades, master of none."  None of these programs are quite as nice as MP3Rat or MP3 Collector.  It's just the fact that they are stand-alone, and the others are integrated in their favorite player.  But for us who are very picky about features, its a compromise we aren't willing to deal with.  That's why I have a separate music player, a separate encoding/decoding converter, a separate cataloger (two actually), and so forth.

It's very sad.  It reminds me of when KeyNote went down (is marek still around here?).  KeyNote was like a pioneer.

Hi,

I'm not an expert nor have I extensively used Either of the two mentioned Cat's but I used and think very highly of "Catraxx" by Fred Norbert, which handles MP3's as well as cd's and other forms of audio. Seemed Very Powerful and easy to use, to me!  There is a gfreee 30day fully functional trial.  I liked it so much I actually sprang for the full  $s version and several upgrades  :Thmbsup: .  Primarily used it to catalog my vinyl (remember that stuff?) as I digitized it...

see http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/

Chuck
Chuck Brotman

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56 AM »
Hmm...haven't tried catraxx before.  But it certainly looks very interesting, and I have to say that from the website alone, I'm curious enough to seriously try it out.  Nice find!

sauzee

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 04:56 AM »
Though you have a distaste for AIO tools, have you looked at J River Media Center?
If it does not have a field you want, you can add it.
As for searching, I can't think of a way to search that it will not do.
And it is fast, with my 6K files anyway.
Version 12 is much better than previous efforts in nearly all areas, but especially in the library functions.
http://tinyurl.com/32lhmu

The free, audio only version may suit your needs too but I have not run it as I have a license for the full version which does audio, video, and images.
http://tinyurl.com/2v32ru

Edit: Spelling...

Here's another recommendation  for J River Media Center. It's a fabulous catologing app. Best in class. I tried collectorz.com equivalent but found J River to be much more powerful.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 05:27 AM »
KenR made a post praising J.River a while ago here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=7962.0

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Sorry to revive this thing, but thought I'd mention that Collectorz.com app Music Collector will (most likely) eventually incorporate MP3 Collector! Stumbled upon the following in the Collectorz.com Music Collector forum:
SUGGESTION
If it is not being supported then incorporate it in Music Collector.
-lekermitage

Well, I wasn't planning on revealing this yet, but that is exactly what we are planning to do :-)

Don't hold your breath though, we will probably only be able to start on this near the end of the year. Then it will of course take a few months do do the integration....
-Alwin Hoogerdijk
Note that Alwin Hoogerdijk is the president of Collectorz.com.

Should probably add the following quote as well:
This will be the major upgrade to version 9.0 and probably not free.

I don't recommend waiting for its release, as we have no ETA yet whatsoever.
-Alwin Hoogerdijk
So that means that if you purchased Music Collector before November 2006 IIRC you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to MuC 9.

But again: I'm guessing this thing won't see the light of day for another 6-12 months, just thought I'd let you know

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 02:17 PM »
So that means that if you purchased Music Collector before November 2006 IIRC you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to MuC 9.

I hope you're right on that, tuckndar. However, when I read the same post last week, I couldn't help but wonder if they're going to charge an upgrade fee to anyone who doesn't currently own a lifetime licence for both mp3 Collector and Music Collector...

[Edit ... corrected mismatched quote tags]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:00 PM by Carol Haynes »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I hope you're right on that, tuckndar. However, when I read the same post last week, I couldn't help but wonder if they're going to charge an upgrade fee to anyone who doesn't currently own a lifetime licence for both mp3 Collector and Music Collector...
That's a good point, Darwin... I think a lot of lifetime license holders of Music Collector would be pretty angry at this, though, since a lot of us wouldn't need the mp3 cataloguing at all. But I wouldn't rule this license workaround out...  :-\

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 02:51 PM »
I hope it's a free upgrade also - that would give me MP3 Collector, and it mau be the only way I will get it.

Anyone notice that Collectorz.com jumped their prices up?  All "Pro" versions are now $49.95 instead of $39.95.  I definitely was not about to purchase an old release of MP3 Collector at that price!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Very interesting news!  Hopefully it won't cost me too much with the upgrade/integration thing.  Mp3 Collector really is the top of its class though.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Anyone notice that Collectorz.com jumped their prices up?  All "Pro" versions are now $49.95 instead of $39.95.
Where does it say that? I see the prices in Euros, and all Pro versions are listed at €39.95. It is of course possible that if you're browsing from the US the prices will be in $ and that they've jumped the prices because of the decreased value of the dollar...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Ah ha! But the US dollar is on the rise... (and the Canadian dollar in freefall - great cheering from industry, long faces from the Canadian consumer  :().