ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The quiet disappearance of the top two mp3 cataloging software.

<< < (3/10) > >>

J-Mac:
But the title of your thread here is "The Quiet Disappearance of the top two mp3 cataloging software.".  Looks like you're saying there that you believe it is effectively a "dead application". Well, actually you said that MP3 Collector is "...soon to disappear off the web completely."  Are you changing your thinking?  :huh:

Really, though, I probably won't buy it unless I see some sort of commitment, as I mentioned in a post above. Or, of course, if they decide to officially declare it "dead" and lower the price.  If they want the same price as I paid them for Movie Collector and Music Collector (both of which I really like quite a bit!), then I want at least a similar degree of commitment, specifically in the form of active development and support in the forum!

That's not unreasonable, it it?

Jim

superboyac:
OK, ok, you caught me! ;D
The truth is this:  MP3Rat is dead.  MP3 Collector is alive and probably will be as long as the rest of the Collectorz software is alive.  I just wanted to relate the two somehow, and probably overexaggerated for MP3 Collector.  All I know is that it's the least popular of the Collectorz bunch (straight from the mouth of the company) and that's why it gets the least attention as far as updates and such.  But I shouldn't have said that it was dying, my bad.

What I wanted to say was that because of the alternatives out there, the stand-alone mp3 catalogers seem to be phasing out.

I really, really don't think you have to worry about MP3 Collector being discontinued any time in the near future or as long as the other software is being developed.  In fact, I expect minor updates occasionally in the future, and possible major updates every 2-3 years.  Again, I want to emphasize that in the current state, the program is great and doesn't lack much, and is better than anything else out there.

Sorry for the confusion, I think I was being a little overly dramatic.  You know, everyone's needs are different, and if the rate of active development is the critical factor for you, then by all means don't buy it.  I just think you might be missing out overall because the alternatives may not be as good, or you might not be using any software for that purpose at all.

GHammer:
Though you have a distaste for AIO tools, have you looked at J River Media Center?
If it does not have a field you want, you can add it.
As for searching, I can't think of a way to search that it will not do.
And it is fast, with my 6K files anyway.
Version 12 is much better than previous efforts in nearly all areas, but especially in the library functions.
http://tinyurl.com/32lhmu

The free, audio only version may suit your needs too but I have not run it as I have a license for the full version which does audio, video, and images.
http://tinyurl.com/2v32ru

Edit: Spelling...

superboyac:
I don't know if I've ever tried Media Center.  There was a time last year when I tried the various jukebox programs, I don't know if that was one of them.  it was difficult for me to get over the AIO aspect of these programs, because every time I looked somewhere, I was thinking "Foobar can do that better", "MP3 Collector can do that better", "Tag and Rename can do that better" "dbPowerAmp can do that better", and so forth.  So, truthfully, I probably never delved into any of those jukebox programs enough to really know what they're all about.

brotman:
Slowly and quietly, off of most people's radars, the top two programs for cataloging mp3 files are soon to disappear off the web completely.  I'm talking about MP3Rat (from Kaylon Technologies, makers of the fabulous PowerMarks; also dying and the best in it's class by far) and Mp3 Collector (Collectorz.com).  I've discussed both these programs at length in other threads here, but it's very sad to see these best in class (nobody comes close) programs about to die.  In the case of MP3Rat, it's already dead as it's sister program PowerMarks.  In MP3 Collector's case, it's still around, but hasn't really been updated in ages (besides very minor things) and, at least to me, it seems to be on its way out also.  As it stands, I think it is by far the least popular of the Collectorz.com suite anyway, which doesn't help motivate the authors to work on it vs their other programs.

Part of the problem, and these continue to be my nemesis, is the bundling of the cataloging features with the music players (jukeboxes).  Sure it's handy to have it all in one location, but the universal truth remains, "Jack of all trades, master of none."  None of these programs are quite as nice as MP3Rat or MP3 Collector.  It's just the fact that they are stand-alone, and the others are integrated in their favorite player.  But for us who are very picky about features, its a compromise we aren't willing to deal with.  That's why I have a separate music player, a separate encoding/decoding converter, a separate cataloger (two actually), and so forth.

It's very sad.  It reminds me of when KeyNote went down (is marek still around here?).  KeyNote was like a pioneer.
-superboyac (March 16, 2008, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi,

I'm not an expert nor have I extensively used Either of the two mentioned Cat's but I used and think very highly of "Catraxx" by Fred Norbert, which handles MP3's as well as cd's and other forms of audio. Seemed Very Powerful and easy to use, to me!  There is a gfreee 30day fully functional trial.  I liked it so much I actually sprang for the full  $s version and several upgrades  :Thmbsup: .  Primarily used it to catalog my vinyl (remember that stuff?) as I digitized it...

see http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version