ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The quiet disappearance of the top two mp3 cataloging software.

<< < (2/10) > >>

superboyac:
superboyac,

Having recently purchased both Movie Collector and Music Collector from Collectorz.com, I was looking hard at MP3 Collector.  As recently as a week ago I was browsing through its forum and became worried just as you apparently are here.  It has not been updated and requests about its future and the time table for an updated release have gone pretty much unanswered. The Collectorz mods there rarely reply to posts there, though they are very active on all other forums.  A post queried about the next update in December and the response was, "We will revisit MP3 Collector next year  :) "  Not very much of a commitment!  So I decided to hold off on any purchase, at least for now.  I am very much pleased with Movie and Music Collector presently; why take a chance of souring my opinion of the developer by spending top dollar on a product that seems to be on the way out?  Better to stay happy with what I have!!

Jim
-J-Mac (March 16, 2008, 11:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Like I said before, I don't blame the Collectorz staff for that.  In the beginning, they were very responsive, but at the time, the software was still new.  As they added more software, the MP3 Collector became their least popular one out of the suite, which is not their fault.  Someone on the forum asked them about their lack of attention to the MP3 Collector and they responded with what I wrote above, that they have to address the needs of their other software first because that's where the bills are being paid.

The real blame here goes to the jukeboxes that include their "good enough" cataloging features.  Also, I think most users are not so very picky and anal about the way they catalog their music files (like me) so they have no motivation to find another program, because MusicMatch, or Winamp, or Media Monkey, is providing 99% of the features for them.

But even with that being the case, the MP3 Collector program still works great for now.  It could be looked at from a different perspective, where it's polished enough where features don't really need to be added or it's not that urgent.  There are a couple of nifty feature requests out there, but for the most part, I have no complaints.

Target, MP3 Cat used to be free?  That's cool, but I guess he changed his mind!  Oh well.  It's good to have another option out there.

J-Mac:
…Like I said before, I don't blame the Collectorz staff for that.  In the beginning, they were very responsive, but at the time, the software was still new.  As they added more software, the MP3 Collector became their least popular one out of the suite, which is not their fault.  Someone on the forum asked them about their lack of attention to the MP3 Collector and they responded with what I wrote above, that they have to address the needs of their other software first because that's where the bills are being paid.…-superboyac (March 17, 2008, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do understand, but I do not agree with your statement about "fault". I'm not sure what in the heck you mean there!

Fault? It's not their fault that they ignore that forum? Then whose fault is it? Let's be honest: they sell that application for the same relatively high price that they sell the others in their stable. Regardless of the popularity, or lack thereof, that you claim, the users who purchased MP3 Collector did so in good faith and paid with dollars of the same value, right? Don't they deserve at least the same level of effort from the developer as those who have paid the same for, say, Movie Collector? Or Music Collector?  How can you say that they are without fault for, first, seemingly ceasing all further development, and second, not supporting the forum for that app?  Come on, that's just not right!

You seem to be blaming the user base for not being larger for MP3 Collector. If it is not supported by the users, then announce that they are stopping development and if they want to continue to make it available, then either make it a free download and don't support it at all. Or reduce the price to reflect the "non-support" status of that program!

But even with that being the case, the MP3 Collector program still works great for now.  It could be looked at from a different perspective, where it's polished enough where features don't really need to be added or it's not that urgent.  There are a couple of nifty feature requests out there, but for the most part, I have no complaints.
--- End quote ---

Really? It's just... perfect, so let it be. Is it also so perfect that questions from users are not worthy of replies? You are being facetious, aren't you?  (Actually, that sounds just like Nuance's theory of non-support!)

Jim

superboyac:
J-Mac, ok, I can see your point there.  True, we should have the same kind of support that the other collectorz software gets.  But, my point of this thread was not complaining or anything like that.  I was just kind of thinking about why these kinds of software aren't more popular that's all.  it wouldn't surprise me if Collectorz decided not to sell or support the MP3 software because it's more trouble than its worth to them.  I'm not saying that's right, but I wouldn't be surprised.

No, I'm not disagreeing with you.

J-Mac:
Well, it's definitely enough to cause me to hesitate in making the purchase.  If they stated some kind of commitment to the application I would buy it right away; I was ready to a week and a half ago. But I think I would rather wait and see what they do with it now.

If I make the purchase at full price and they discontinue it shortly thereafter I'll be beating my head against the wall!

Jim

superboyac:
My recommendation is to go ahead and buy it.  But that's easy for me to say!  I actually bought it years ago when they offered a lifetime license.  If you are satisfied with the current feature set, then I would get it right now, regardless of support issues.  I'm pretty familiar with the competition in this category, and they really don't compare to this program.  I don't think you will regret it.  Let me clarify something.  I also get frustrated when a company has poor support, but in this case, the issue is that they are slow with their updates.  But, in their defense, the program works great, the lack of updates is only for some feature requests that people want.  If it were a bug, and they weren't fixing it, then that's another issue, but that's not the case here.
I don't think they will discontinue the product because their other products are doing well, so unless they all go down, I don't think MP3 collector will go down.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of their software.  I just really like it when a company gets a program right, and they have in this case. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version