ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who else is sick of difficult word verifications on the web?

<< < (6/23) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
On a scale of 1-10 (10 = highest) I have to say I have only been inconvenienced to a level three, but I certainly understand inequities like Carol pointed out.

There are a lot of really bright folks here that comprise a vast resource for creativity and a pool of supply.  Is it out of the realms of probability that the likes of us could come up with a solution?  The way I see it, someone will come up with a solution.  Why can't that someone be us? 

The forum itself would be a terrific test bed once there was something to try.   

mitzevo:
It's up to the developer to make user friendly products (just like software [annoyances], bad practices, etc.).. If the captcha is done correctly, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to pass.. Then again, they (some developers) try not to make it too easy, for obvious reasons.

Some captcha's won't make you think angry thoughts, and some will.. What can ya do?  :P

Tekzel:
They don't bother me at all, I see them as a necessary, and barely bothersome, evil.  I have no trouble using them and appreciate that they significantly reduce, or entirely eliminate, automated spam on forums.  I have seen some forums that didn't use them rendered completely unusable.

J-Mac:
I absolutely hate 'em!!  Some times I could swear I entered the correct characters but they are rejected. Since I never saw any complaints here or elsewhere I was starting to think I was one of the few who have issues with them.

Jim

Renegade:
It's up to the developer to make user friendly products (just like software [annoyances], bad practices, etc.).. If the captcha is done correctly, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to pass.. Then again, they (some developers) try not to make it too easy, for obvious reasons.
-mitzevo (March 21, 2008, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately you're wrong there. (I posted about it here.)

The ability of machines (software) to solve CAPTCHAS is so good, that you can no longer create a CAPTCHA that is reliably easy for a human, but difficult for a machine. The same goes for audio versions.

The RECAPTCHA project poses a solution to this problem, however, if you look at it closely, they're processing a LOT of text automatically, then choosing the ones that are specifically difficult for machines. However, this is not currently an apriori type of thing that you can do. It relies upon experience in seeing that a machined failed for a specific word.

The downshot is that no matter what you do from a development stand point, you will fail. The moment you make a CAPTCHA that is reasonable for a human, a machine can solve it easier.

It's really a catch-22.

For more information, search for stuff like "cracking captchas" or "captcha ocr" etc. You'll see that there's a wealth of information on how to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version