topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A M A Z I N G ! - I got a total refund without any questions asked.  (Read 5590 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Elsewhere on the forum I'd made a couple of posts related to a new machine I'd ordered because of a lightning strike taking out my previous pc.

I'd got into a flap over the new machine as it refused to cooperate from day one. Windows took several attempts to install (like 8 hours worth of attempts) but, eventually, it did work - for FOUR whole days. After which the machine decided it had never been introduced to the solid state drive that Windows was on; at this point I'd had enough.

I honestly didn't know what to do with the machine after that. My usual approach would be to spend hours/days/weeks attempting to get the machine working perfectly. Thankfully, regular forum members persuaded me to return the machine and ask for a refund.

The UK has "7 Day Distance Selling Regulations" that, usually, allow for online purchases to be sent back within 7 days of delivery. There are caveats to this, one of them being that it doesn't apply to "custom built" items. This is where I thought I'd come unstuck with the return of the "custom built" machine.

I've been planning my argument all week, anticipating that the store would have several reasons for me not to have a refund - I even expected them to blame me for the machine not working (perhaps I'm just paranoid). But, AMAZINGLY, I've just opened my inbox to find that I've been given a complete refund - no questions asked. That's it. Done. End of.

This is even better than having the machine working perfectly from day one as the refund includes the £150 I was charged for them building the defective machine - something I'd not realised when I made the impulse purchase.

I'm going to take a breather before ordering anything else. I seem to regret every impulse buy I make (or maybe that is just selective thinking).

Anyway, thanks to the DC'ers that told me to take the machine back and ask for a refund. Without you, I could easily have been sat here now still trying to get the defective machine working, or aimlessly toing and froing to the store (an hours drive away) trying to get the defective part identified and then replaced.

Oh, by the way, the store is: www.overclockers.co.uk (and I can't say a bad word against them).

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm glad to hear it worked out. Congratulations! :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congrats :Thmbsup: what a little persuasion can't do for you ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Excellent.
Overclockers deserves some real praise then.  Being able to return a custom computer after a few days of use is a huge thing -- since if a machine is going to fail it's probably likely to do so in the beginning, and it can happen to even the best built machines.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:40 AM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As Mark Twain observed: Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

I glad to see Overclockers both gratified and astonished you.  :Thmbsup:

(With a tip of the hat to Overclockers for providing such good service on a customer "satisfaction" issue. That's something that's becoming increasingly rare these days.  :) )

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've just opened my inbox to find that I've been given a complete refund
-nudone

What a relief!

and I can't say a bad word against them

Well, you did manage a few…  ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heheheh. I know. I really ought to be more optimistic instead of jumping to all the wrong conclusions.

Oh well, I love everyone and everything and the universe is a nice place again - until I start building the new machine in a few days from now.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Heheheh. I know. I really ought to be more optimistic instead of jumping to all the wrong conclusions.

It's nice when some company gives you something to rave about, rather than rant about. Given the number of times things go wrong, I can understand your initial pessimism though.

Yay for treating customers well~! :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker