topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MailStore Home 2.5.1 released with lots of improvements  (Read 29228 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MailStore Home 2.5.1 released with lots of improvements
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 02:44 AM »
Ah, thanks Carol! I assumed that it was no longer possible to get the Home Plus version this way. I'm definitely going to check this out  :Thmbsup:

I dont think that offer is there anymore
the link above gets a 404 and cant find anything about a plus version on their site
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 02:54 AM »
It has never been clear what is going on with MailStore Plus since they started it. There was never an easy link to the information and you always had to email support to get a license.

They are obviously still producing Home Plus (which is presumably the basis for Home Office but again that is not at all clear) as I have Home Plus 3.

Their website really needs a huge overhall to give it any coherence or actually make it informative, and their charging policies need someone to sort them out (prefereably someone who can understand that 5 copies of the Home version should be cheaper than a 10 license Server edition).

I did ask them about the pricing when I requested info about Home Plus 3 but got no response whatsoever.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 03:00 AM »
I would find it hard to trust a vendor with an incoherent (and very expensive!) pricing strategy with info I really want to be secure for the long-term.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 03:31 AM »
I have to say the information is pretty secure for the long term. At any point your data can be exported in numerous ways and backed up in different ways. There is no sense in which you are locked into a proprietary format.

I can understand the pricing strategy for the Server version - they are offering a business a central shared repository for business related emails. You can specify exactly what you want archived away, and the great thing is the archive is much quicker and easier to search than Outlook! You can even reply to emails from within MailStore and quickly access attachments etc.

The place where they seem to have lost their way is the pricing for Home Office - they seem to suggest that it is functionally equivalent to the Home version (they don't even say Home Plus) but they have put it at a higher price point than the server version and seem to have missed the point that many Home Office users will be sole traders who would like to buy a single copy.

As for their website - I think they must be a small company spreading themselves a little thin and so the website gets cobbled together quickly and isn't seen as a priority. This is a silly mistake to make if they want to build confidence in customers and even more so if they want to encourage potential customers to spend money.

If it was my business my pricing strategy would be:

MailStore Home - free but more restrictive than the current version (say only one profile and only cover Outlook Express and other common free mail clients and mail types)
MailStore Home Plus - a low price paid for version for non-commercial use (they can give the money to charity if they want or make it donationware)
MailStore Workstation - a paid for version of Plus for commercial use (available as single copies or multi-packs with discounts)
MailStore Server - full server based business package with multiseat licenses

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Sensible pricing scheme. Why don't you forward that to them? ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 08:22 AM »
Sensible pricing scheme. Why don't you forward that to them? ;)

I sent them a mail saying their pricing scheme rules out self-employed/sole-traders with only one or two (or 3 or 4 or 5!) computers and sent links to this post and Carol's above

Reply was
Hi Tom,

please excuse my short answer - at the moment there is only the current pricing.

Best Regards,

I guess as Carol says they too busy to look at this or the just focusing on bigger or corporate sales
Tom

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 03:43 PM »
. . . and probably too busy to notice someone in a small business that doesn't need 5 licenses using the free version.

I'm all for paying for software but, generally only when means to do so are provided :P

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I like the new version a lot. It's much quicker than version 2, if memory serves. I'm with Allen, though, I'd like to move up to Home Plus but regret that there isn't an easier way to do it. For now, I'm going to see if the Home version suits my needs.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 08:39 AM »
I've written to DeepInvent (developers of MailStore) asking about Home Plus 3 and lamenting the price of MailStore Office and Server from my perspective as an individual. I'm hoping that if enough people indicate that they want access to scheduled backups and an increased number of profiles the company will see a demand and a potential market and revise its licensing structure. Home Plus is already in place - they just need to set a price and make it available via their webstore!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 09:32 AM »
. . . and probably too busy to notice someone in a small business that doesn't need 5 licenses using the free version.

I'm all for paying for software but, generally only when means to do so are provided :P

ahem, yes, yes ......
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 12:09 PM »
My e-mail has been answered:

I am sorry to inform you that MailStore Home Plus is currently not available for purchase.

>:(

The note goes on:

We do, never the less, have special promotions going on ever so often. So if I may suggest so, you could subscribe to our newsletter under:
http://www.mailstore...m/en/newsletter.aspx
That way, you will keep up to date, when the next such promotion will take place.

So I guess for now it's the Home version for me. Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful as is, but I'd love the convenience of being able to schedule backups. C'est la vie...

Now people! Do your bit and write in - my cunning plan to overwhelm them with e-mails requesting Home Plus will only succeed if more people write in! Together we can rule the world! [cue maniacal laughter]  :P

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 01:19 PM »
You may achieve that - or possibly the complete withdrawal of the plus version!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 01:26 PM »
You may achieve that - or possibly the complete withdrawal of the plus version!

:o Hadn't thought of that! This is why maniacal autocrats are doomed to fail - shortsightedness  :(

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 01:11 AM »
This is good software. I just successfully converted 15000 emails from Thunderbird to outlook express.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Crap. The more I use this, the more I want the scheduling  >:( Bring on a promo (of course, it'll need to be a two user licence at about 75% off the server price  :o)!

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 06:09 AM »
Trying.
Seems a very interesting software to backup the home emails.
Best Regards

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 07:49 AM »
The Plus version has now been completely dropped.

I wrote to them asking what Plus users should do and they sent me a single license for the full Server edition!!! If you follow suit make sure you quote your Plus serial number and email address.