topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IE forgets my choice (I want smooth scrolling). How do I make it permanent?  (Read 5913 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't use IE, but the help system does, and I want smooth scrolling.
IE forgets my choice; I can change it again in IE > tools > advanced, but if I reboot it's gone.
How do I make it permanent?

Thanks

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like a bug, try using TweakUI to repair the registry.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks lanux, and sorry, I seem to have missed your reply the first time around and reposted (!).

I've looked at tweakUI; it has a repair option at the end, but there's no 'repair registry' that I could find. It repairs icons, and fonts, but not the registry. Any idea why?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
actually, it's my bad. the "Repair Regedit" settings in TweakUI is to be used when all columns are not showing in the Registry Editor. :-[  as for your problem, one of the reason could be some mouse-enhancement tools installed on your PC.

btw, this website notes that this feature is slightly buggy and  may need several reboots to get things right. another method is create a REG file containing the key enabling smooth scroll and load it on every start-up.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Could be. Actually, I cannot even enter the mouse section in control panel. It dies with a horrible error. It also ignores most of my attempts to install drivers for a logitech MX 610 mouse. So something is deeply borked with mouse drivers.

But I don't feel like reinstalling windows just to get this back to work :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
since it's obvious that all is not well with the mouse drivers, why not uninstall the current ones and download the newer version from Logitech's site? a quick tip: use Farr's Uninstall plugins if opening the Control Panel crashes your system. ;)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did that; I checked, and the drivers (or whatever logitech installs... is kind of an entire suite to configure any of their products!) are the latest. However, my logitech is not detected. Control panel opens ok.
Update: The problem with crasing when clicking the mouse in contrl panel is gone. Still, logitech cannot find my mouse. It seems to be using the default drivers. When I plug the wireless receptor into the usb port, it finds some hardware, installs something, but concludes that 'a problem has happened an your hardware is not installed correctly'.

Hmm...

Getting better, but not there yet...