ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Almeza MultiSet

(1/2) > >>

Dormouse:
Anyone have experience of Almeza Multiset, upcoming on bitsdujour next Saturday (22 March)?

A utility for the automated re-installation of Windows, including other installed programs, inserting registration codes, restarting when necessary etc? Still expensive ($50), even at 50% off but also looks very tempting. Reinstallation can be from CD, DVD, USB stick - given the size of reasonably priced USB sticks now it should be possible for it to load a lot in one go.

I can see it saving me a lot of time occasionally (and possibly at times when I am really stretched). But since I'd only use it occasionally I can't really try it out first.

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/multiset/
http://www.almeza.com/

Darwin:
Here's another option: StorageCraft's Shadow Protect. At $80 it's more expensive than Almeza on Bits du Jour BUT given its ability to perform a

Hardware-Independent Restore, which means you can take a backed-up image of a Windows system that uses one kind of hard disk controller and restore it to a new computer that uses a completely different hard disk controller
--- End quote ---

this is worth a serious look! I have Acronis TrueImage Echo Workstation with Universal Restore (I've never tried this feature), but from what I can gather it really doesn't work that well. Click on the link below for one reviewer's experience using ShadowProtect (and the nightmare that resulted from trying out Roxio's BackOnTrack 3 on the same machine) and for the source of the quote, above.

Edward Mendelson on AppScout

I'm going to modify this and post in a separate thread, as I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually given ShadowProtect a go...

Darwin:
OK - new thread soliciting opinions/experiences about/with ShadowProtect posted here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12662.0

Dormouse:
Hardware-Independent Restore, which means you can take a backed-up image of a Windows system that uses one kind of hard disk controller and restore it to a new computer that uses a completely different hard disk controller
--- End quote ---

As I understand it, Almeza Multiset will do this on any computer and can even do it over a network.

Dormouse:
ShadowProtect seems to be a backup/imaging utility allowing system restore etc. Multiset seems is an automatic reinstallation utility and quite a different kettle of fish.

Multiset seems to know how to reinstall Windows.

Has to be shown how to install other programs - essentially seems to copy keyboard/mouse inputs into a script. Much easier to use when you are starting off with a vanilla system. And, in practice, what I often want to do. I usually don't want to install stuff 'as is', I only want to reinstall the progs I definitely want and get a clean system again. Clear the crud out. Still can't decide if I'd use if often enough to pay for it, even at reduced rates.

I have Acronis 8 and Paragon Drive Backup and don't really use them, preferriing the install from scratch route. Had been moving towards Linux base machines, with Windows installed in VirtualBox. Decisions, decisions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version