topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a software that would let me assign lan or wireless connection per application?  (Read 4859 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Most of us have both wireless and wired connection in our offices or homes. My problem is that I want wireless connection to be used by firefox and thunderbird and rest of my softwares should be within my wired lan. I really hate to see that some of the softwares connect to my work box with wireless while I have a wired connection between them. I changed the connection priority settings but that did not do much improvement really.

Do you know any software that would let me assign connection types to applications?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure but presumably you could use a firewall to configure allowed traffic on the wired and wireless connections separately - though if you are connected to the same network with two connections on each computer I am not sure how you specify that a particular app has to access the network over one connection rather than the other ?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yes that would be my confusion as well.

The thing is that it looks like windows is checking to see which connections are available. If I disable my wireless it changes to lan right away and I get a speed boost. Otherwise somehow windows chooses wireless over wired for everything which is I hate. Because I copy files back and forth.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What happens if you block access to everything on Wifi via your firewall - do requestes automatically get rerouted via the alternative network or do you simply get blocked?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just have windows firewall here and It is sometimes confusing to use. Do you know any firewall that can do that?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure which would be the best for that.

Basically you need something that allows you to allow and block individual applications from sending data out of your computer.

I don't know enough about configuring firewalls - maybe someone else could chip in with some ideas. Alternatively there are other threads about firewalls where you might get some answers.

Here is one long running firewall thread https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=6059.0

but there are lots of others too - just do a search on 'firewall'