ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

a software that would let me assign lan or wireless connection per application?

(1/2) > >>

kartal:
Most of us have both wireless and wired connection in our offices or homes. My problem is that I want wireless connection to be used by firefox and thunderbird and rest of my softwares should be within my wired lan. I really hate to see that some of the softwares connect to my work box with wireless while I have a wired connection between them. I changed the connection priority settings but that did not do much improvement really.

Do you know any software that would let me assign connection types to applications?

Carol Haynes:
Not sure but presumably you could use a firewall to configure allowed traffic on the wired and wireless connections separately - though if you are connected to the same network with two connections on each computer I am not sure how you specify that a particular app has to access the network over one connection rather than the other ?

kartal:
yes that would be my confusion as well.

The thing is that it looks like windows is checking to see which connections are available. If I disable my wireless it changes to lan right away and I get a speed boost. Otherwise somehow windows chooses wireless over wired for everything which is I hate. Because I copy files back and forth.

Carol Haynes:
What happens if you block access to everything on Wifi via your firewall - do requestes automatically get rerouted via the alternative network or do you simply get blocked?

kartal:
I just have windows firewall here and It is sometimes confusing to use. Do you know any firewall that can do that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version