topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Top 50 Dystopian movies  (Read 8828 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Top 50 Dystopian movies
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:50 PM »
After reading Zaine's post about 1984, I remembered reading about this.
How many have you seen?

A dystopia is a fictional society that is the antithesis or complete opposite of a utopia, an ideal world with a perfect social, political and technological infrastructure. A world without chaos, strife or hunger. A world where the individual potential and freedom is celebrated and brought to the forefront.

In contrast, the dystopian world is undesirable with poverty and unequal domination by specific individuals over others. Dystopian films often construct a fictional universe and set it in a background which features scenarios such as dehumanizing technological advancements, man-made disasters or class-based revolutions.

from somewhere on teh intarwebz

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Top 50 Dystopian movies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for the link!

Or should I say "Damn you for mentioning this list of films, because now I'll have to add them to my personal DVD shopping list! You'll ruin me...." :p

seriously, though, thanks! Some excellent films there (I love "Twelve Monkeys"!) and some I should definitely get to see.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:30 PM »
Read the comments, too. Apparently there are a fair fistful of movies that got left out, but are worth checking out nonetheless.
...and some made the list that were, um... unwelcome.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44 PM »
How many have you seen?

A few, that's why after reading:

Or should I say "Damn you for mentioning this list of films, because now I'll have to add them to my personal DVD shopping list! You'll ruin me...." :p

I'm doing the same *cough*. Seriously, thanks for the list, there are quite some jewels in there. Bookmarked.

...and some made the list that were, um... unwelcome.

Yeah, Battle Royale is doing nothing there.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Some nice films there, and at least a few ones that I either hadn't heard about before, or just haven't gotten around to see.

I wonder why Children of Men rank as #6, though... it's an OK flick, but it's not that good. Why does everybody and their dogs love it so much?
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Can't help but think they really stretched the meaning of dystopia for some of the films, say District 13.

I know the definition of dystopia is broad but I don't think it is meant to describe everything that's not a utopia. I've always seen them as two extremes with a lot of the films mentioned actually falling into the murky gray area between the two.

Just my :two:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:38 AM »
Strange... I thought that "Leave it to Beaver" would have been #1! :)

I haven't seen all of them, but quite a few.

The genre is always a favorite of mine. There are quite a few more movies that could be added to the honorable mentions though.

Some of the rankings are no surprise, e.g. "Blade Runner" is right up there, but some are a bit more puzzling, e.g. I thought "12 Monkeys" would have done better than some ahead of it.

I remember seeing the uncensored version of Akira when it came out (at an indie theatre). It was good, but the massive amounts of blood was overkill and really just a tad too much.

I however will not be adding anything to my DVD 'to-get' list as I really doubt that anything would be available here. :( I would like to see that "Serenity" movie though. Sigh...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 04:47 AM »
I remember seeing the uncensored version of Akira when it came out (at an indie theatre). It was good, but the massive amounts of blood was overkill and really just a tad too much.
A tad too much? Naaaaah, Akira is pretty perfect as it is :) (too bad that some people only focus on the violence and fail to see the plot)
- carpe noctem

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:20 PM »
Renegade, that would be 'Little House on the Prairie'!

Great find, Edvard! I'm impressed that the author chose the 1927 version of Metropolis, which on DVD is amazingly well done. And at least he admits that Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times (1936) was the most glaring omission. Very nice.