ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Top 50 Dystopian movies

(1/2) > >>

Edvard:
After reading Zaine's post about 1984, I remembered reading about this.
How many have you seen?

A dystopia is a fictional society that is the antithesis or complete opposite of a utopia, an ideal world with a perfect social, political and technological infrastructure. A world without chaos, strife or hunger. A world where the individual potential and freedom is celebrated and brought to the forefront.

In contrast, the dystopian world is undesirable with poverty and unequal domination by specific individuals over others. Dystopian films often construct a fictional universe and set it in a background which features scenarios such as dehumanizing technological advancements, man-made disasters or class-based revolutions.

--- End quote ---

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/the-top-50-dystopian-movies-of-all-time/

from somewhere on teh intarwebz

TucknDar:
Thanks for the link!

Or should I say "Damn you for mentioning this list of films, because now I'll have to add them to my personal DVD shopping list! You'll ruin me...." :p

seriously, though, thanks! Some excellent films there (I love "Twelve Monkeys"!) and some I should definitely get to see.

Edvard:
Read the comments, too. Apparently there are a fair fistful of movies that got left out, but are worth checking out nonetheless.
...and some made the list that were, um... unwelcome.

Lashiec:
How many have you seen?
-Edvard (March 14, 2008, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

A few, that's why after reading:

Or should I say "Damn you for mentioning this list of films, because now I'll have to add them to my personal DVD shopping list! You'll ruin me...." :p
-TucknDar (March 14, 2008, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm doing the same *cough*. Seriously, thanks for the list, there are quite some jewels in there. Bookmarked.

...and some made the list that were, um... unwelcome.
-Edvard (March 14, 2008, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Battle Royale is doing nothing there.

f0dder:
Some nice films there, and at least a few ones that I either hadn't heard about before, or just haven't gotten around to see.

I wonder why Children of Men rank as #6, though... it's an OK flick, but it's not that good. Why does everybody and their dogs love it so much?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version