topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: FillCD equivalent  (Read 21244 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: FillCD equivalent
« on: March 14, 2008, 01:45 PM »
I have a folder, containing many of subfolders, all of  which need burning to CDs. It is not important which folders end up on which CDs, so I would like some software to figure the best collection of folders for each CD to minimize the total number of CDs used.

There is an existing application FillCD which does exactly this!

BUT - the program is shareware, and appears to have been abandoned in late 2005. I have scoured the web for information...

• The original homepage fillcd.com is gone.
  • The newer homepage fillcd.net has said "Sorry! The FillCD site is currently in transition. Please check back later." for months.
  • Some of the subpages of fillcd.net work - but the downloads bring up errors.
  • Registration is via email, but all contact email addresses are for the old domain, and bounce.
  • Emails to the new domain disappear into the inner workings of the inter-web-mega-carriageway never to be seen again.
  • Various posts in alt.windows.freeware over the last 12 months have not turned up any trace of the author.

I am aware of Burn to the Brim but this has more than its fair share of problems.

Perhaps someone can develop an alternative?

The requirements...

1) Accept a list of files and/or folders.
2) Mix and match these (keeping folders and subfolders together) to best fit the desired medium (eg 700MB CD).
3) Produce a list of files to burn to CD or possibly move the files/folders into a subfolder (eg BurnThis #1).
4) Repeat until all files/folders allocated.

Thoughts?

Ampa

cbbibleboy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: FillCD equivalent
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:16 PM »
I'll start workin' on it  : )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Since most cd burning programs allow files to be dragged and dropped from a file explorer, perhaps the most efficient interface for such a utility would be if it presented the file lists for a cd in a form that supported source-drag.  in other words, the utility should present the list of files for a cd so you can simply select them and drag them to your cd burning tool.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:30 PM »
cbbibleboy: Great! I look forward to anything you can come up with in this field.

I think Mouser's suggestion is a good one, would certainly make the transition to burning app smooth.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Xplorer2 has a function that lets you mark a combination of files upto a total file size but the algorithm used is rather simplistic and can often be improved on manually. You could still use it if the file/folder sizes are relatively small, minimizing the margin for error. Perhaps some other file manager does this more intelligently.

Just tried FillCD and it's awesome! Which one of the reasons you've mentioned is really putting you off it?
Reg abandonment - who cares? It's a really well done/refined app.
Downloading the latest build - [3.0.4] - not a problem.
Shareware - Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read I think it just gives you a nag screen once you're past the due date - if you genuinely cannot get in touch with the author I really don't see why you shouldn't keep using it. Donate the amount to PETA or something if it helps you sleep better. :)

PS: I agree about BttB, didn't care for it much.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:53 PM by nosh »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:25 AM »
@nosh: the biggest annoyance with FillCD is that it will only compile 3 CDs worth of stuff per run, until registered. It is a small thing I suppose, but means that I can't leave it to crunch through a whole hard-disk unattended.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:00 PM »
The domain is hosted at Dreamhost.com. You may wish to email Dreamhost and ask them to forward the email to Tim. I don't know if they will oblige you.

cbbibleboy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 05:46 PM »
I've got it functional now. Another week and it should be adequately cleaned up.  :Thmbsup:

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:57 PM »
cbbibleboy: That is great news :) Looking forward to seeing your results.

cbbibleboy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Here's a screenshot of the working interface. Of course it's missing some things (and ignore the white textbox--it's for debugging), but the essentials are there. I think it's pretty intuitive, especially when you can click the buttons. Also, it has full drag-n-drop functionality (aggh, hardest part oddly enough).

http://i29.tinypic.com/2zhms5g.png

Notice the efficiency trackingbar. When generating blocks it is used to decide when it would be preferable to split large folders into its subfolders. I'd be happy to take any suggestions   :)

P.S. I emphasize that this is a very rough outline. WHile functional, I still have some clean-up to do.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:01 PM by cbbibleboy »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Yay! This looks promising.

As you indicate it seems pretty intuitive... I think I can see how the program flow works just from the one screenshot.

Good news about drag and drop - that is always a good feature to have.

If you need some feedback from a beta, Id be very happy to give it.

Ampa

cbbibleboy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Sorry, it's taking a bit longer than I expected. I'm actually a student at Duke University, and this is exam week. Once summer hits, though, at the end of next week, you can bet I'll be done quickly. Here's a screenshot of the final GUI: http://i29.tinypic.com/rljls6.png

I just need to do a bit of code cleanup and reorganization, a few additional error dialogs, building the file and folder systems, and deciding upon a name and icon.

Recently, I've also added a progress bar (pops out on bottom), a status dialog, saving solution to XML format, variable media size constraints, listview icons, a simplifying algorithm for the generated blocks, and multi-threading so progress bar updates and the app doesn't lock up when performing long operations (e.g. folder size of a folder with lots of subfolders, generating blocks for massive amounts of data). I think I've got a pretty good balance of simplicity, usability, and intuitiveness to functionality and features-ness. And yeah, that beta feedback would be much appreciated when I finish.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 05:58 PM »
what's the problem with burn to the brim I have never had any problems with it?

cbbibleboy

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 04:00 AM »
Finished!  ;D

[edit: zip file is now attached]

Enjoy! And any feedback, suggestions, or informal beta testing would be much appreciated  :)  (email is in the about dialog)

P.S. MS Visual Studio automatically makes an installer for some reason, but there's really no need--no file or registry settings, no services, no startup, no extra crap.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:01 PM by cbbibleboy »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 04:32 AM »
[edited for stupidity]

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Finished!  ;D

[edit: zip file is now attached]

Enjoy! And any feedback, suggestions, or informal beta testing would be much appreciated  :)  (email is in the about dialog)

P.S. MS Visual Studio automatically makes an installer for some reason, but there's really no need--no file or registry settings, no services, no startup, no extra crap.

Downloaded more than 300 times, so WHY has no-one given any feedback???
Hmm...

Edited:
Have just micro tested it, and it works like a charm. Easy and with a good sense of logic.
And you're right; there is no need for the installer. Just db-click JamPacked.application
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:05 AM by Curt »

Hacnstein

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:42 AM »
The best program I have found is SizeMe from Lars at
http://lars.werner.no/?page_id=2

Sourceforge has BTTB - burn to the brim, but I could never get it to work.

Some burning program do it for you.
http://www.howtogeek...ple-dvd-or-cd-discs/