ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

questions for programmers

<< < (3/4) > >>

Veign:
That is great that your daughter has interest in programming.  Get her started in some fun projects and once she completes the first one I'm sure she will be hooked for life.

Let us know the grade she receives on the project...

tinjaw:
Give me a week and I will turn them into budding Pythonistas.  :P

wraith808:
Title of job or position held: Contract Programming Consultant

How long have you done this job: 20 years

How did you become interested in this field: A programming course in high school was the start, on an Apple IIe in Apple Pascal.  From there, I started programming games in assembler on my Franklin Ace 1000.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of this job: My favorite parts are the continued learning and challenge, and the money of course.  My least favorite is that a lot of people don't have a lot of understanding what programming takes and make things harder by trying to manage the programming instead of the project, which usually results in less than optimal project timelines and more hours worked.

What kind of training or education have you had for this field:  Formally, I have a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science and a few personalized training courses.  Informally, I find that I have to constantly refresh my skills by the use of several resources on the internet.

What is the future outlook for this field?:  I think the future is bright for computer programming as a whole.  One must be very aware of the state of one's skills and the demand for one's skillset to take advantage of this however.  Also, personal skills that are not easily quantifiable such as time management, people skills, and a good work ethic go a long way in distinguishing programmers of similar skill levels.

How many hours (or days) do you spend working each week:  It varies according to contract and deadlines.  In general I work 40-50 hours a week, though I have worked as many as 80 hours in times when work needed to be done.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

gally:
Hi guys.
This is Nikki (gallys daughter).
@ Mouser-i tried the autohotkey program,things wroked out pretty kool, but when i tried my own codes it didnt go so well but i'll try again tomorrow once i get some rest.
@ Veign- as soon as i get my paper back i'll let you kno my grade on it.
@ Tinjaw-What are you gonna turn me into? i really dont like the sound of that. lol.

thanks again for everything,
Nikki.

tinjaw:
@ Tinjaw-What are you gonna turn me into? i really dont like the sound of that. lol.
-gally (March 14, 2008, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

The inevitable question asked by new programmers is which computer language to learn (first). There has always been a (mostly) friendly rivalry between programmers of different programming languages. Python is one of the more recent languages created and my personal favorite. Programmers that programmer using Python call themselves Pythonistas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version