ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

questions for programmers

<< < (2/4) > >>

gally:
Veign and mouser,

My daughter has decided to use both of your replies to the interview in her career outlook report. She wants me to let you both know that she appreciates you taking the time to help her with this as this project counts as basically 100% of her 9 weeks grade.

We cannot say, in words, how grateful we truly are for you having taken the time that you did to help, as we know that you are both very busy.

Thank you, both, again very very much!!,

gally and Nikki

gally:
As a sidenote to mouser:

WOW!!... I have spent years learning to/working on 'fixing' computers and trying to implement security on them (mostly, for family members after they crash the harddrives from viruses or from thinking they know what they are doing by being click happy and deleting major components, totally rendering them useless). My oldest bro used to have an old Commodore and I  remember always wanting to get on it and use it but he would never let anyone near it... kinda wish he had. I had always been interested in learning to program (even tried a course in programming once, ages ago) but the more time passed the more it seemed I just could never find the time to actually hide myself away for days in order to concentrate on it and learn it.

After reading your replies to her questions I decided that, at my age, it'd be best to leave all the programming to my kids and just stick to doing the fixing of them  :)

My daughter, after reading both yours and Veigns' replies says she is even more interested now in programming so I've decided that as soon as it is feasibly possible I will make both my kids an account here. I think that they could learn alot just from this website alone. I think their being members here would have a deep impact on enhancing their learning and help them to build on their skills.

Thank you!!

app103:
gally...you are never too old to learn.

I didn't start programming till about 4 years ago, at the age of 38. (self-taught and still have a lot to learn)

So if you ever want to give it a try, don't be afraid.  ;)

gally:
app103... Hello  :)

I know one is never too old to learn,.... and it's not that I'm 'afraid' to give it a try, it's more like literally having and finding the time. It seems the more I try to get into learning whatever it is I'm trying to learn, the more others want my time....  It's like 'Hey she's at (whatever it is) again... lets need something' lol ... I can't remember the last time I was actually able to devote even 1 hour to sticking with what I am/was trying to do without someone screaming 'chaos over here, drama over there!!' 

Funny, is that I was just explaining that same 'never being able to find the time to actually stick to it' to my son, Then I read your post.  Also, I ran into the thread for "Interruptron" ....something says my using that program would render me a "100% interuption, give it up" result, if it took all the 'outside the computer' interuptions into account  lol

I started in 1995 just messing around on computers, in the last 4 years I have self taught myself how to fix all these things that they, too easily, find ways of messing up. 2 years ago our situation took an unfortunate turn and ever since it has been the 'chaos over here, drama over there!!' scenario.  I figure as my kids get more into programming, and when time allows for our situation to improve, I will probably give it a try.

.. as you stated in your profile  "...at some point early on in life decided to become a programmer and ended up having to sweep those dreams under the rug for a bunch of reasons and never did become a programmer. But dreams have a way of coming back to haunt you, so it might be a bit late to be starting out and starting over, but better late than never." 
I know I'll, also, get to that point but unfortunately it's gonna have to wait just a bit longer.

Thank you, app103, for your encouragement and for the link you provided.. I had always seen that particular forum but had never been able to get there (that darn 'time' stuff).

Have a great day, as it is and has been a great pleasure to meet you!!!

mouser:

This might be a good opportunity to remind people about the Self-Teaching Programming Section on this forum:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=77.0

This section is not meant to hold your hand and teach you. Instead it is meant to motivate self-teaching.

Essentially, you will have to get yourself a book or e-book and teach yourself.

What you will find here is a "ladder" of increasingly challenging programming assignments, meant to motivate you to learn and use different facilities of each language.

How this section of the site works:

* To help inspire you, each challenge assignment is only unlocked after you submit a solution to the previous one.
* Assignment also often have bonus challenges which you can complete for extra recognition.
* Users will be rewarded with special stuff in their forum identity - badges or text, etc. so you can show off of your achievements.
* Other bonus prizes (dc cups and tshirts) may be available to high achievers.

* You will be able to see other people's solutions after you submit yours.
* It is your job to test your programs and make sure they work!  Your program is not going to be tested by us - it's up to you to test it and make it work.

* Submit your assignment as a new post.
* No one will be able to read it until it is accepted officially.
* After it is accepted you will be able to read other people's solutions and the next assignment will be accessible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version