topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My daughter needs to interview a computer programmer for a school report...  (Read 6394 times)

gally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all, my name is gally.
My daughters school is asking them about what careers they are interested in and she chose computer programming. Her teacher wants her to now interview a computer programmer....

Our problem is, that she knows of no programmers right her in her hometown that she can interview. I had her write to several colleges to inquire if any of them could help her out with this, they all told her no and to search online.  I suggested she try here.  I'm not sure if this is even the place to be asking but at this point we are at a loss as to where to turn. I realize this is 'software' programing but I'm hoping that maybe someone here may know or have an idea of where she may be able to find a computer programmer that might be willing to be interviewed.  Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

gally

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey Gally,

Does this need to be an in-person interview or will over the 'Net work?

I'm not currently working as a programmer, but there are many fine folks here that make a living (or at least beer money) programming. 

You've probably come to the right place. 

Insert Brilliant Sig line here

gally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Rover,

The interview can be in person, or online.  I, myself, love computers but when it comes to any kind of programming, i'm all thumbs, lol.  My son is taking programming also but my daughters teacher said he won't work for the interview because he's just taking classes, not officially a programmer yet  >:(   lol

and yes, you are right, there are many fine people here and we probably should have come here in the first place.

Thank you!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would say to ask mouser, the site owner/admin, although he seems quite busy lately. He is a very nice fellow though and a great programmer, so it could be worth a try. No harm in asking, right?

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Maybe an option is to start a thread with the questions posted and see who chimes in.  Then let people post their responses to the questions.

gally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello wreckedcarzz,

Yes, mouser is very nice and he is a great programmer... I also thought of asking him.
But as you mentioned he is busy, and though it might not hurt to ask him, I also don't want him to feel as though he would 'have to' help us out, (if you know what I mean.. ) kinda why I posted here, instead of just intruding.

Plus with us writing to the colleges, and waiting for replies, she has pretty much hit her deadline as it is due tomorrow  :(

gally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Veign,

Hmmm, that may work but the teacher is gonna want a specific persons name, job title, # of years experience etc
... maybe we could just put "the entire donationcoder team"  ;)  and the 'collective' amount of years.. that'll have her thinking, hay? lol (hope she has a sense of humor)

If that is the route we take, just posting the questions, should I post them here or would there be another specific forum I should post them in?

Plus my daughter just informed me that not only does the teacher Not have a sense of humor but she is also, the 'detention' boss ....  not good!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:07 PM by gally »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
post them here and you'll get responses from several programmers, which could be a nice insight into how different coders think :)

gally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you, mouser!  :)

She started a new thread and posted them just a few minutes before you wrote.

gally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just want to say Thank you, to all of you for all your help.

You guys Rock!!