ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easiest replacement for windows system restore?

<< < (3/5) > >>

J-Mac:
Shadow Protect ought to be good, it is twice the price of Acronis, or three times if yuo use version upgrades.
-tymrwt33 (March 26, 2008, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm just getting a little nervous about the comments made in the PC Magazine review where they stripped it of its "Editor's Choice" status. Sounds like if you try to restore your system after having installed new hardware (like a new disk drive, for example), it fails miserably and fouls up the works. I haven't tried that but it is certainly a way I would hope to use it.

I stopped by the Acronis forums at Wilders and it does appear that a lot of users aren't happy with it anymore - more so than the usual number of support complaints.

Jim

Armando:
There are many posts/threads on Acronis true image on DC. I personally Use Acronis, but an older version, and never had a problem with  it. The consensus is usually that newer versions are always buggy and that it takes a little while before they're ironed out.

I don't have a burner to make backup cd's. What choises do i have?
-F.A. (March 13, 2008, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then, I hope you either have 1- a big hard drive or 2- an external one. Otherwise that doesn't leave you with many options.  RollBack Rx or FirstDefense-ISR Workstation like cranioscopical suggested, maybe? But you'll still be limited by the amount of available space on your hard drive.

tomos:
there's been a few recommendations for alternatives to Acronis True Image
if you do a search for Acronis you should find a good few threads and try the most recent ones (one looking for a discount i think)

People generally not so happy with newer versions
I bought version 11 and sorry I didnt get something else if only because of the size of it - it's a monster...

bbudd:
Ghost-still the best.

F.A.:
Wow, i never expected this many responses. For some reasons i stopped getting notifications for posts done here. I want to thank you all very much. This has turned out to be one hell of a thread!

So as i understand it everyone has it's personal favorites that work well for them. About acronis ive seen the infinite numbers of posts of unsatisfied customers on wilders so i dare not go near it for now. Besides i think ill need a burner for that. Tools such as fd-isr and rollback rx are much to expensive for me.

Im looking into syncback free right now. I might just install that at my next reinstall. If for some reason or an other i won't turn out positive i might get into shadowing software. I just hope SBF will be easy enough to handle and reliable in the end.

About my HDD, it's never filled that much. I was just looking for something that can take me back to a "just reinstalled" state without having to get all the windows updates and doing registration again.

Again thank you lads for the insight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version