ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

Revisiting (XfilesDialog, File-Ex, Direct Folders)

<< < (5/7) > >>

superboyac:
Darwin, yeah, I guess you know then!

I think the real, bottom line, determining factor for me in this category of software is the software's ability to work with NON-standard dialogs.  However, none of the programs work with non-standard dialogs.  And they all pretty much work with the standard dialogs + Office dialogs.
File-Ex had a great idea with the "training" of new dialogs, but the truth is that it still doesn't work with any non-standard dialogs.  All that happens is that you train a new dialog, and the File-Ex interface will pop up for that dialog later, but when you choose the folders and stuff, it still won't work right.  So, it only seems to work right.  Same for Filebox extender, like I mentioned before.  The buttons may appear on the non-standard dialogs leading you to believe that it works, but when you use the buttons, it doesn't work.

Therefore, the only factor that a user should use to help them choose is really interface, that's pretty much it.  For me, I like the Direct Folders interface the best.

Hey!  Darwin, and Tomos, I used to have Powerdesk also!  Yeah, I remember their dialog helper, it was pretty cool at the time.  Nothing special, but it worked as well as the others that are mentioned here.  Powerdesk was a cool suite.  I used it from about 1998 until 2004, when I started learning more about other software out there...Dopus and such.  But before I was a hardcore poweruser, Powerdesk was awesome!

ChalkTrauma:
I'm keeping a list of requested features for the next CFDButton release. Feel free to PM me with any ideas. I'm not sure what I will have time for, but it never hurts to ask  :D

alexey_r:
Double click in Direct Folders doesn't work for me under Vista. (and I'm not the only one: see the first comment at http://blog.codesector.com/2008/03/21/direct-folders-33-released/). However, it has a big advantage over FileBox eXtender -- the hotkeys are actually useful!
In the latest version of FileBox eXtender hotkeys show the list, but you can't navigate it with the arrow keys, only with the mouse. And if you open the list by clicking the mouse, you can use the arrow keys to navigate it... so both ways you have to use the mouse. And the folders in the Recent menu seem pretty random (those are certainly not the folders I actually used recently). Didn't see how it works in Direct Folders yet.

"folders of currently open files" feature of Flash Folder sounds great :Thmbsup:, but it's a pity it doesn't work under Vista :'(.

alexey_r:
Double click in Direct Folders doesn't work for me under Vista. (and I'm not the only one: see the first comment at http://blog.codesector.com/2008/03/21/direct-folders-33-released/). However, it has a big advantage over FileBox eXtender -- the hotkeys are actually useful!
-alexey_r (March 23, 2008, 02:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Scratch that: yes, hotkeys show the list, but clicking on any folder from there opens it in Explorer, _not_ the file dialog :(

Grorgy:
I'd be back to Enhanced File Dialog except that the last time I tried to install it, perhaps a month ago, I could not get it to work at all, so gave up.
--- End quote ---
I know how you feel Darwin, as you know I couldn't get it to work either, anyway I've just done a reinstall of windows on both my computers and its working fine on both of them now, it is a fine little program, but not worth paying for object desktop just for it, nor is it worth reloading windows for it, there are other alternatives: I kinda like flash folder, but if it does work it must be close to the best IMO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version