Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 09:17:18 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Drop Box lands  (Read 18609 times)
cmpm
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »

http://www.getdropbox.com/

Very interesting features and supposed ease of use.

I haven't tried it yet.
But I just might since it looks easy.

(still no GDrive as far as I know)

Related news and how I found it.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/ne...r-for-online-storage.html
MrCrispy
Participant

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:31:39 AM »

Are you in the beta and do you have any invites? smiley
Zero3K
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »

You can get an invite by posting a comment at http://dailyapps.net/2008...he-gdrive-killer-dropbox/ stating that you would like to have one.
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »

Looks interesting. I always wanted a backup service that lets me upload files directly from any file manager, with no browser involved. That said, I think I'll wait 'til it gets a bit more 'real' smiley
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:02:24 AM »

what's the pricing on this one? If it's good it's usually not free especially not when data's involved.

Zero3K
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »

Since I was invited into the beta, I can invite anyone that wants to join. Simply PM me asking to join in it (along with your e-mail address) and I'll send you an invite.
Zero3K
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »

what's the pricing on this one? If it's good it's usually not free especially not when data's involved.

Its free for now since its in beta. But when the beta is over, there will be free and premium services available.
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »

sounds interesting but i'll hold out for a while and wait for the dust to settle..  Wink anyway, here's an additional source for invites: Dropbox Invites!

Zero3K
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »

That site has already "run out of invites". It seems that there's no way to invite more than 4 people to one shared folder according to the site. I'm willing to see if that statement is wrong.

EDIT: That statement is wrong. You can only invite 4 at a time. But the total number of possible invites to a shared folder is unlimited (at the moment).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 06:37:11 PM by Zero3K » Logged
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »

according to link in cmpm's post it's using Amazon S3 so presumably you will eventually have to pay them and pay DropBox too... (or pay a fee that covers both)

Tom
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 02:33:50 AM »

There is xdrive for online drive. You can also use shup for online storage.
czb
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 07:33:05 AM »

What I realy like about this site is that it can be used directly from explorer, it has realtime synchronization and versioning. Now I use DriveHQ but I can not use real time sync + versioning togehter (at least I have not found a way how to do this).
Does anybody has an invitation so that I can test this site pls?
Thanks Wink

My open-source online piano game: http://musicope.com/
yotta
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »

this looks great, and could be so useful for group tasks/projects, simply create a joint folder toghether!

i havnt actually tried it, lacking an invite, but it looks GREAT
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »

You can always use powerfolder
yotta
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:08:32 PM by yotta » Logged
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »

not so quick? What do you mean?

Powerfolder offers different syncing profiles and online storage. But they have moved to paid subscription. I started using it while it was open source and it has been helpful to me. But I think their pricing is very high with today`s standards.
yotta
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »

dropbox has moved to unlimited invites smiley
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 12:14:12 AM »

Send me a PM w/ your e-mail address if anyone wants to be invited to dropbox.

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »

So I don't see anywhere that says the beta filesize limitation or storage space limitations.

EDIT: I just noticed if you right-click the tray icon it tells you how much of your storage limitation you're using up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:06:49 PM by Deozaan » Logged

sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »

Total space limit while in beta phase is 2GB. It may remain so for the beta testers. At worst, it will be reduced to 1GB, but I doubt that going by the 'generosity' of the devs in their forum.

Dropbox is simple and works great even from behind my office proxy. Like it!  Kiss

justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 03:39:26 AM »

So does anyone have an opinion on this yet or areyou under an NDA? cheesy

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »

Sri sent me an invitation so I gave it a try

- It looks like you cannot share any other folder than "my documents" which is useless to me. I personally never use "my documents".
- Beta is limited to 5g, again it is useless to me. So I could not actually try it with real project files and folders.
- Other than issues above it seems to work.
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »

Kartal, are you sure you're talking about Drop Box?

As far as I can tell the beta is limited to 2GB. And I can create and share any directory I want, but it's all stored in My Documents\My Dropbox\<subfolders>

sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

The ability to add any folder (not necessarily inside your 'My Documents') to dropbox is one of their upcoming features.

Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »

The article at Lifehack Dropbox: A Simple Syncing Solution triggered my curiosity about dropbox again... And I ended up here. Anybody still using and enjoying it?

The interface looks nice and quite convenient. (Of course, in my case, I don't think I could really use such a tool -- my ISP upload/download limit is a bit too small, well maybe not actually, will have to calculate...  smiley )

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.049s | Server load: 0.14 ]