ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What’s this "Linux" thing and why should i try it?

(1/13) > >>

zridling:
[via makeuseof.com]:
a short article explaining the Linux thing.

So, what is this Linux thing?
Linux is an operating system, just like Windows and OSX are operating systems.... When someone says they use Linux, what they mean is they use a distribution (aka distro) of Linux. Without the GNU tools or any applications, it can be a little useless. A distro is a software bundle. It includes the Linux kernel (the part that actually talks to the hardware), the GNU tools, and whatever applications the person or people who started that distro thought were useful, all configured in a way that they think works well.

Why should I use it?
There are a number of reasons you may want to try Linux on your computer. For me, the main reason to switch was to try something new. I wanted to know what else was out there besides Windows, which I was bored with, and OSX, which I don’t like. Trying something new and learning more about how computers work might not be your thing, though, so here are some other reasons.

* It’s free.

* You’re free.

* It’s secure.

* It’s easy.

How do I get it, and what’s with that penguin up there?

f0dder:
It’s free.
--- End quote ---
Only if your time is free.
You’re free.
--- End quote ---
Not if you're a developer :]
It’s secure.
--- End quote ---
Only if you're not running insecure software on it...
It’s easy.
--- End quote ---
Unless you want to do something slightly poweruser-ish, then you have to drop to a shell and edit arcane configuration files. Last time I played with Ubuntu, getting support for multiple monitors was a poweruser-ish thing.

:D

zridling:
I'll have to give the author his due on these points:
— It’s free.
— You’re free.
— It’s secure.
— It’s easy.

While your counterpoints are all true, no one's time is free, right?; developing naturally ties you to a platform; insecure software doesn't reach the kernel level in Linux; and the Ubuntu forums provide unparalleled support, and have helped me solve a few problems unrelated to Ubuntu since I don't use it.

f0dder:
no one's time is free, right?
--- End quote ---
True, but then we could go into a "what is most time consuming?" discussion. And that isn't just about windows having more familiarity, really - it's about windows being more polished. If something requires a couple of clicks on windows but you end up having to google or use support forums on linux, linux loses.

developing naturally ties you to a platform
--- End quote ---
Yes, but I was (once again) referring to the GPL virus. It's hard to do very much on a linux platform unless you either A) reinvent the wheel or B) use GPL components and thus have to release your own stuff under GPL. This isn't as big an issue when developing for windows.

insecure software doesn't reach the kernel level in Linux
--- End quote ---
Oh, it has done so every now and then... my point was more that if you say "linux is secure", you have to say "NT is secure" as well. The NT kernel actually offers better and more granular security than the linux kernel... although things are slowly getting better for linux. But normal distros still use root-and-restoftheworld instead of ACLs.

and the Ubuntu forums provide unparalleled support, and have helped me solve a few problems unrelated to Ubuntu since I don't use it.
--- End quote ---
That's great, but I still have the sense of having had to google or user forums/whatever for things on linux that just should have worked out of the box. Like the multi-monitor thing. I specifically picked Ubuntu since it' supposedly targeted at regular users and tries to be friendly and easy to use etc.

allen:
I have willed myself away from installing Linux on this machine.  In moments of weakness, I've downloaded 3 or 4 iso's but manage to stop myself before burning them.

I love linux.  I typically just run fluxbox, live in the shell, and watch as my productivity grinds to 5%.  When I'm in linux, I spend 45% of my time in the web browser reading linux crap, and 45% of my time tooling with it, editing this and that, and the other 10% is split up between making coffee, pissing and actually being productive.  The two least productive years of my life were the years I spent playing, literally, with Linux.

So I'm using my will powers to stay where I play less (and enjoy more software compatibility) -- Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version