ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Ever have your tray icons disappear randomly?

<< < (2/3) > >>

nosh:
I was facing this issue even as I read the post. Started Process Explorer, killed explorer.exe and ran it again via Process Explorer's run command. The missing icon's back again - so I'd have to say something simple like Explorestart would do the trick. Off to download it, thanks for the tip PhilB66.

lanux128:
Thanks lanux for that, but I think I may have done something bad to my computer.  I don't know if it was from your script or from what I was messing with before that, but every time I start up Windows now, I can't click on my taskbar.
What happens is that I click on my taskbar (left or right) but nothing happens.  I have to go to the task manager, kill the explorer.exe, and then restart it again for the taskbar to be clickable.
So, I don't know how to fix this, I think I broke my taskbar.  This is much worse that not seeing my icons.-superboyac (March 24, 2008, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

sorry superboyac, i didn't realize that this could happen but the repair tool suggested by PhilB66 is worth a try. incidentally the author of that tool also has a VBS script for the same purpose: Remove Past Items.

Target:
and on a sidenote - can anyone decipher these registry keys?

if someone can it would make it easy to maintain the tray icons consistently, ie I find some apps (notably AHK scripts) don't behave well in the tray, and don't remember their show/hide status between sessions

it's a minor gripe, but it irritates me that I have to reset this each morning when I log in

Target

Curt:
Do any of you have some of your system tray icons disappear for no reason?  -superboyac (March 12, 2008, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you have a lot of programs starting at the same time, it may be the major reason for some icons not showing up. When I installed a startup manager and gave each program plenty of time to launch all alone in piece, my problem with missing icons was solved.

I was facing this issue even as I read the post. Started Process Explorer, killed explorer.exe and ran it again via Process Explorer's run command. The missing icon's back again -nosh (March 24, 2008, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would have been sufficient to restart the missing icon's program
- at least it always has been, on my XP.

Curt:
can anyone decipher these registry keys?-Target (March 24, 2008, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not too sure what you mean by 'decipher', but:

CLEARING THE TRAY ICON HISTORY:

> run 'regedit.exe'

> goto key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify'

> delete keys 'IconStreams' & 'PastIconsStream'

> start task manager, go to processes and kill explorer.exe

> go to applications in the task manager, hit new task and type 'explorer.exe'

> explorer will now reboot and woohey, your icons should return.

> crazy if you ask me.........-perrelet, Tech Support Guy user
--- End quote ---

Anyway, I have tried this and it didn't work for me, because, I guess, I had too many programs starting, and so  too many icons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version