topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Idea: "DC Member Book X - Volume 1" - Request For Volunteers  (Read 21889 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ok here is a silly but fun idea that I'm hoping someone here might want to pick up and run with..

The idea is simply to create a (yearly) book where members of the site can (electronically) submit one and only one page to contribute to it.

The pages would be collected and made into a pdf file for download by all.  Maybe we could do it every year.

Technical details:
 A template of some sort using an open source cross-platform word processor, so that there was a modicum of uniformity in look -- e.g. each page would have an area where the person describes themself, page number, member name on the forum, etc.
 No NSFW content will be allowed.
 No copyrighted images will be allowed.

Think of it like a time capsule.

Maybe nudone or someone could make a nice cover graphic staring Cody the mascot.

Who could participate? Anyone minimally active on the forum.

What do you think?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Idea: "DC Member Book X - Volume 1" - Request For Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Just think of it as like an athology of the users on the forum each year.  Each user will decide that they want to put on their page (a fictional story, their life history, pictures, poetry, political rantings, whatever).

I'd like to find one or two people who would be willing to volunteer to organize this -- I don't think there's too much involved, but you'll have to create the templates and then ride heard on people and make sure they get their stuff submitted and in proper form, etc.

Any volunteers?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:07 PM by mouser »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 06:12 PM »
That would be a fun thing to do IMO, and I would certainly take part in it. Kind of like a yearbook, but better. :)

I wouldn't be able to do any organizational work though, as I can't really organize myself, much less others too. :P

hollowlife1987

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I think this is an excellent idea, so when do ya think it will be started?  :P

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:18 PM »
I think the concept is quite interesting.   Due to time constraints the only role I would be able to take is participant.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 06:34 PM by Veign »

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:29 AM »
neat idea.. let me see if i can maybe squeeze the time to organize things. I'll get back to you.
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 03:37 AM »
nice idea.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 03:09 AM »
You know, you could submit it to lulu.com and put the pdf priced as a free download, and the print edition at slightly above cost, with any funds generated from the print edition going to help support the site.

This would serve a triple purpose:

1. We all could still have pdf version for free.
2. Generates a little more funds for the site, if someone wants the print edition.
3. Free advertising: introduce people that have never heard of DC but are lulu customers, to our site, in a rather unique way.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:10 PM »
I think the concept is quite interesting.   Due to time constraints the only role I would be able to take is participant.

+1 = moving home in the next few weeks, but like the idea a lot :up:
Tom

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 06:08 PM »
ok..
i do possibly have the time. So......... I'll be getting my thoughts together and posting or pm'ing the questions ideas to mouser and the forums.
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Yes !!!  :greenclp:

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 06:13 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*
 :-* :-* :-* :-*
 :-* :-* :-*

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 04:06 AM »
YAY!!! :) :) :)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 08:01 PM »
I know I've been pretty quiet since accepting this and for that i am sorry. I DO intend to get on it, however at the moment I have a very sick puppy  :( (parvo virus) that the vet has written off but I have not. So she is getting all my time currently. I will get back to you all after we get through this episode. until then please hang in there with me. I will try and keep you all appraised of the situation, just know that my posting will be limited for a bit.

thanks and apologies to you all.
PaladinMJ

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 08:07 PM »
No rush -- please give your doggy a big hug from all of us!

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 06:38 AM »
One page per member per year seems doable judging from my experience with Das Buch: it's been more or less active for many years and still lacks book pages. There is some blog activity but not so much book writing.

Projects like these need a person in charge of it; someone who will keep asking members to turn in their work, someone to proof-read, to encourage, and finally to compile everything and release it. Das Buch doesn't have this person so it sort of just bobs up and down.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Another participant here :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Each user will decide that they want to put on their page (a fictional story, their life history, pictures, poetry, political rantings, whatever).

can we put in images as well or would that have to be limited due to size
or is all that kind of thing to be decided...
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Projects like these need a person in charge of it; someone who will keep asking members to turn in their work, someone to proof-read, to encourage, and finally to compile everything and release it.

I've been called "The Grammar Police" on multiple occasions so I could probably help with proof-reading.  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 04:38 PM »

Deozaan,

You realize, of course, that grammar police is merely an anagram of real comma prig.  Excellent credentials in either case  :)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 08:04 PM »
    firstly, thanks to all that want to help. I will definitely be shoulder tapping you. Secondly at the moment I haven't had the time available to hash out exactly what is wanted. How big this can be etc.
    currently I am mocking together ideas as time permits that apply to:
    • template that is no proprietary and therefor usable by as many people as possible
    • layout items
    • graphic ideas etc
    A number of these things I can scratch at a minute here and there as I tend to the puppy or in downtime. Once she is OK and I get my time back I'll be posting a few ideas and asking for input. At the moment though if you all want to start a brainstorm on what you'd want or not want in the base template that would be great.

also what is the proposed distribution model? is there one?
    thoughts on size constraints, both as a completed yearbook and/or per user page(s)..
    And I assume that this will be an 'all ages yearbook" i.e. nothing offensive, graphics etc? or is that a misconception?
    any other ideas concerns etc.
    I will read and post as oft as I can at the moment but that will get things a rolling maybe. I'll take a more hands on approach once the puppy is better.

enjoy.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 08:36 PM »
i think it should be standard 8.5 x 11 or A4.
yes i think it should be all ages, which means no nudity.
distribution model: assume it will be available for download as a pdf -- people can print it themselves; we could consider having some printed with a nice cover if we like.
i was thinking just some nice basic template that would include like a border on the page and a small corner area with a place for each person to fill out some basic info (their username, age, location, date of joining site, etc.) then the rest of the page they can fill as they wish.  just my initial thoughts but i leave it up to forum to make all final decisions.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I don't know anything about the available capability or functionality but it seems like this should be doable by exporting each users profile into a standard template.  Users could opt in, then fill in the blanks or update their info as they see fit

or perhaps an optin link that would take you to a standard template with your profile data pre loaded...

submitting the completed templates would forward it to the appropriate admin for proofing and collation

Target

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Is this book meant to be like a school yearbook, where we just show who was a member or is it meant to be something like where people who want to can put whatever they want on the page (as long as it's safe for all ages) and have fun with it?

I don't know anything about the available capability or functionality but it seems like this should be doable by exporting each users profile into a standard template.  Users could opt in, then fill in the blanks or update their info as they see fit

or perhaps an optin link that would take you to a standard template with your profile data pre loaded...

submitting the completed templates would forward it to the appropriate admin for proofing and collation

If I understand Target's idea here, it sounds like a yearbook thing that just lists us and what we have in our profiles. If that's the intent of this book, then it's a great idea. But if the idea of the book is for original contributions, then I'm not sure this idea would be very useful in this instance.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 10:42 PM »
If I understand Target's idea here, it sounds like a yearbook thing that just lists us and what we have in our profiles. If that's the intent of this book, then it's a great idea. But if the idea of the book is for original contributions, then I'm not sure this idea would be very useful in this instance

i think the intent was for a yearbook type of thing, rather than just a member list

i just figured that some peoples profiles are already pretty comprehensive (verbose?), and would probably form the basis of any entries they might care to make

if nothing else, it might save individuals re-entering basic info...

Target