topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Darn, I just realize checkbox messages don't work if it's in a subfolder  (Read 15033 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone have any recommendation for an alternative program?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
can you explain what doesnt work?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The entry text doesn't show up. It's there but it doesn't preview or copy.

theformlettermachinebug.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you uncheck the parent, no children will be shown -- precisely because they are children.
if you wanted those bottom checkboxes to show -- simply move the "Discussion" folder out from being a child of the checkbox, and just move it under it as a sibling (ie make it a child of Simplicity).

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I guess this is a case where using the program in it's unintended way causes problems. Maybe a request in the future?

I really don't get why this feature is necessary since if you want this functionality, all you really need is to check the parent.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think we might still be having a miscommunication problem.  if you send me the configuration file for your tree ill make the change i'm suggesting and send it back.

You've told TFLM explicitly to hide the children when you uncheck the box.  The solution isn't to change the behavior of the program but simply pop the children out one level of indentation and put them after the checkbox as siblings if you dont want to do that.   There is no downside to doing that is there?  If you want to be able to collapse that group you can do that, just put the checkbox and the other folders inside a folder.

Its an important feature to be able to deactivate an entire subtree by unchecking the parent checkbox -- you wouldn't want to have to uncheck all children in such a case.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here you go.

There is no downside to doing that is there?

From my side, the downside would be with organizing the files. The reason I set it up like that is because I want that entry to link to the checkbox not to the main folder because I don't always want to treat those boxes as checkboxes but more as references to the checkbox rather than to the main folder entry.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is what I had in mind:
Screenshot - 10_17_2008 , 12_00_17 AM.png

I'm probably just being dense, but I'm still not understanding what you want to do and why.  If you could help me to understand I might be able to add a feature or something..

(feel free to email me: [email protected])

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nah, it's just a difference of usage. I understand that this is a convenience for users who use the Form Letter Machine purely as a regular copy pasting machine where as my usage of it is more of an outliner that would segment my entries, make it easier to read due to it's large previewing capabilities and make it easy to copy when I need to reference the information within.

Think of your image as a chain between the two folders where as for me, I did it that way as a chain from the sibling folder to the check box.

This doesn't get in the way when there's little information but as more information gets added, it would be more convenient for me to hide the entries under the discussion folder because the core idea is in the checkbox above it already.