topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: False Positive on Software (Generic.Dx) by McAfee Today: McAfee Response and Fix  (Read 69845 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Deleting clean software just coz they're incompetent is plain obnoxious! Maybe software authors should start informing users about McAfee's clumsiness using a nice dialog box displayed right at the install phase. Mention that you're not the only developers affected & even urge users to change their AV to something more reliable. I'm sure if enough authors do this it's bound to get them off their asses. Hit right back if the bastards don't listen!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Maybe software authors should start informing users about McAfee's clumsiness using a nice dialog box displayed right at the install phase. Mention that you're not the only developers affected & even urge users to change their AV to something more reliable. I'm sure if enough authors do this it's bound to get them off their asses. Hit right back if the bastards don't listen!

Sorry if I seem like a pessimist, but I'm still convinced that ignorance is the main problem here. I'm not sure how effective this would be, because everybody I know who uses McAfee AV also fits into the same category of people who don't know much about computers and just look for whatever button they can press to make those pesky dialog boxes go away. Along the same lines, I think they also just click Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish when installing things. I don't think they read it anything. That's how they end up with Google Dekstop/Toolbar or all that Yapoo! crap that's bundled in.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Aaaaaaand, another one down!  ;D

Microsoft mistakes Skype for a Trojan
http://www.download....ubj=TheDailyDownload

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft mistakes Skype for a Trojan

Mistakes happens, okay, but it took Microsoft four days to correct the error - I mean, 4 days are like forever for the Skype users caught in between! I would have been extremely disappointed had the same fault taken ESET (makers of NOD32 antivirus) this long to get right.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:29 AM by Curt »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, the telcos would agree with calling Skype a trojan... in their business that is ;D

bartolome.simpson

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can believe that one or two antivirus like McAffe have a false positive on virus checks but I have used http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and visustotal.com services (recommended on this thread) and I had many, many positives for my setup for screenshotCaptor.

It's hard to believe that a site like this with great software contains virus, but I'm starting to have some doubts...

Here are the results from  http://virusscan.jotti.org/:
A-Squared -> Found nothing
AntiVir -> Found BDS/Delf.cue.2
ArcaVir -> Found nothing
Avast -> Found nothing
AVG Antivirus -> Found BackDoor.Generic9.LHX
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV -> Found Trojan.Delf-4268
CPsecure -> Found nothing
Dr.Web -> Found Trojan.PWS.Gamania.8999
F-Prot Antivirus -> Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus -> Found Backdoor.Win32.Delf.cue
Fortinet -> Found W32/Delf.CUE!tr.bdr
Ikarus -> Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus ->Found Backdoor.Win32.Delf.cue (probable variant)
NOD32 -> Found nothing
Norman Virus Control -> Found nothing
Panda Antivirus    -> Found Bck/BackPort.G
Sophos Antivirus    -> Found nothing
VirusBuster -> Found nothing
VBA32 -> Found Backdoor.Win32.Delf.cue

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just so everyone understands where this is coming from, let me tell you a little about myself, first. I have serious trust issues. It is rare that I trust anyone at all, never mind trust anyone completely. I am a well above average in my skills for evaluating a person's character. This is why I don't trust people.  ;)

I have known mouser long enough to know that he is the most honest, respectable, trustworthy, caring, generous man I have come across in the 42 years that I have been on this earth. In the dictionary, the word "integrity" should have his picture. I could compare him to Mother Theresa.

I not only would trust my computer to him, I'd trust him with my personal information, the keys to my house, my deepest darkest secrets, and my life...because I know he would never ever intentionally harm anyone or anything. He would never be able to live with himself if he did.

Not only would he never hurt anyone, he goes out of his way to bend over backwards to help people in any way he can.

So when I saw the alleged results posted by bartolome.simpson, I had to go see this with my own eyes, because I could not believe that that many antivirus products could give off that many false positives for a single application.

I downloaded the ScreenshotCaptor setup file and using the exact same online scanner, my results were vastly different than that of bartolome.simpson.

Rather than a "copy & paste", I decided to give the screenshots:
SNAG-00042.pngFalse Positive on Software (Generic.Dx) by McAfee Today: McAfee Response and Fix
SNAG-00043.pngFalse Positive on Software (Generic.Dx) by McAfee Today: McAfee Response and Fix

I could express some more thoughts, but rather than attack someone else's integrity and say something I may live to regret, I'll just keep quiet now and let what I have posted so far speak for itself.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
bartolome.simpson: I'm sorry, but you must be doing something wrong. I just downloaded the latest version of SC from its page and sent it to http://virusscan.jotti.org/ but no virus was found on any antivirus...

Screenshot - 22-06-2008 , 15_56_07.pngFalse Positive on Software (Generic.Dx) by McAfee Today: McAfee Response and Fix

[edit] looks like app beat me to it

bartolome: Something serious might be happening in your computer, most possibly, it is infected with some virus and generating these wrong results..

[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:06 AM by jgpaiva »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
bartolome, something is definitely going wrong on your side -- those are not results that come from any version of screenshot captor that i can find.  either you got an antivirus from somewhere else and it's infected your whole computer, including screenshot captor, or you uploaded the wrong file, or else it's possible i guess that you have a really old version of screenshot captor which for some reason has these false positive alarms that no one else is seeing because no one has that version of screenshot captor installed.

maybe you can zip up your screenshot captor folder and mail it to me ([email protected]) and i can see what i can see.. i definitely would not ignore these results, as they look scary and they are not the results that any of the rest of us are getting.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think there's another important issue here: bartolome may have downloaded SC from a site that is modifying people's software.. I really wouldn't like to see that happen. Thus, if it's possible, could you try to find out where you got SC from?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://209.85.175.10...amp;ct=clnk&cd=1

Is PECompact really worth all this trouble?

bartolome.simpson

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nothing is farther from my intention than to harm or blame anyone (and more after these quick answers that seems to me trustworthy). I was just commenting my problem and my sincere thoughts after the results of my checks.

I'll send Mouser my old setup. It is true that it is not an updated and that could have being infected after I downloaded it time ago from this site (this last option would be weird, given that I've not had problems before and this is the only .exe on my hard disk with the problem, but I have to admit that it is possible).

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and I hope this help to clarify the issue.