ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

False Positive on Software (Generic.Dx) by McAfee Today: McAfee Response and Fix

<< < (6/13) > >>

mouser:
I encourage everyone to email McAfee and complain about these mistakes.

If you own a blog or participate in another forum, please spread the word about how McAfee is being irresponsible in their antivirus updates.

Something *has* to change in how they are updating their signatures or dealing with heuristic new detections.

Their email is: [email protected]>

Their are many ways they could address this problem:

* Being more careful about the patterns they use in their signature
* Being more honest when reporting a detection, and saying clearly that a brand new, possibly false-alarm incorrect detection has taken place.  This seems down right obvious to me -- if you just update your signature database and suddenly thousands of people have a virus detection in a 6 month old program then there is a high likelyhood it's a false alarm.
* Give people some choice about what to do when a virus is detected.
McAfee are doing harm to software authors with their sloppy irresponsible behavior -- please help spread the word so that they are forced to take some corrective action.

And by all means demonstrate your dis-sastisfaction by demanding a refund and boycotting their software until they address this.

mouser:
I just had a thought.. should we actually try to organize a "official" boycott/protest against McAfee?
We've never done such a thing before -- I don't expect we would have much luck maybe we should try?

The goal would be to bring attention to this false alarm issue and insist that they come up with a more sensible way of dealing with it.

drpeterharris:
My software has been hit again by this.  3 completely separate apps have been wiped from end-users PCs without a by-your-leave.

This happened a month ago and we were just recovering from the damage that had done.   It has now happened again.   McAfee just say "it will be fixed in the next DAT" but that quite frankly is not good enough

I write software for the healthcare industry and many end-users have managed AV solutions so they cannot add exclusions themselves.

This has done incalculable damage to my companies reputation (not to mention my blood pressure)

Peter

mouser:
bassclarinet, it's yet another false alarm on all Autohotkey programs.. You can download the ahk source code for the tool and compile it yourself if you are concerned.

cranioscopical:

The problem's wider than just McAfee's fun and games, though isn't it?

AVG Free is one of the scanners that I use. 
It has happily scanned and passed executable files belonging to PECompact for ages. 
Then, suddenly, the identical files all are suspect and quarantined. Next... oops they're OK again.

Annoying though this is, I suppose, from a user's point of view, I'd rather have it this way round
-- better safe than sorry -- than fall foul of something nasty.

OTOH, were a product of mine left with mud sticking to it due to some innuendo I'd be hopping mad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version