ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

False Positive on Software (Generic.Dx) by McAfee Today: McAfee Response and Fix

<< < (11/13) > >>

nosh:
Deleting clean software just coz they're incompetent is plain obnoxious! Maybe software authors should start informing users about McAfee's clumsiness using a nice dialog box displayed right at the install phase. Mention that you're not the only developers affected & even urge users to change their AV to something more reliable. I'm sure if enough authors do this it's bound to get them off their asses. Hit right back if the bastards don't listen!

Deozaan:
Maybe software authors should start informing users about McAfee's clumsiness using a nice dialog box displayed right at the install phase. Mention that you're not the only developers affected & even urge users to change their AV to something more reliable. I'm sure if enough authors do this it's bound to get them off their asses. Hit right back if the bastards don't listen!
-nosh (April 22, 2008, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry if I seem like a pessimist, but I'm still convinced that ignorance is the main problem here. I'm not sure how effective this would be, because everybody I know who uses McAfee AV also fits into the same category of people who don't know much about computers and just look for whatever button they can press to make those pesky dialog boxes go away. Along the same lines, I think they also just click Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish when installing things. I don't think they read it anything. That's how they end up with Google Dekstop/Toolbar or all that Yapoo! crap that's bundled in.

nosh:
Aaaaaaand, another one down!  ;D

Microsoft mistakes Skype for a Trojan
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9926921-12.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheDailyDownload

Curt:
Microsoft mistakes Skype for a Trojan-nosh (April 25, 2008, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mistakes happens, okay, but it took Microsoft four days to correct the error - I mean, 4 days are like forever for the Skype users caught in between! I would have been extremely disappointed had the same fault taken ESET (makers of NOD32 antivirus) this long to get right.

Lashiec:
Well, the telcos would agree with calling Skype a trojan... in their business that is ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version