topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Generic.dx Trojan detected  (Read 18405 times)

edombowsky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Generic.dx Trojan detected
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Today my McAfee Virus Scan Version 8.0.0.0 detected the Generic.dx Trojan within LaunchBar Commander.  My database is the March11, 2008 version.  So I downloaded a new copy from the DonationCoder website and just unzipped it and ran a virus scan on the files.  It again detected the Generic.dx Trojan.

Has any one else had this problem?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Generic.dx Trojan detected
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:16 PM »
i've just re-downloaded the launchbar commander setup program -- it has not been modified by anyone, and this is indeed the release from my computer created in August 2007, when the last release of LaunchBar Commander occurred.

This is a false alarm -- probably due to the fact that LBC is packed with PECompact.  I'm so sick of these damn antivirus programs giving people false fears -- it's so harmful to developers.  It's fine if they want to tell people that they don't know how to analyze a file, but it's not cool to scare people into thinking that a real virus has been detected.  >:( >:( >:(

The problem is that there is no incentive for antivirus programs to not flag everything they dont understand as a virus -- no one penalizes or gives bad marks to an antivirus program that false alarms constantly -- i wish they did.

I've basic gave up packing all my programs because i got sick of the BS from the antivirus programs, but the LBC release was old enough that it's still packed.

I'll try to put up a new version, unpacked, next weektoday if possible, just to reassure people.  But there is nothing wrong with the current version.  If you wait a few days McAfee might get updated and change its mind -- or try another antivirus to convince yourself everything is ok.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:24 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:13 PM »
a funny related article: http://www.neowin.ne...rs--excel-is-a-virus

also, "Developer considers McAfee suit after 'Trojan' error": http://news.zdnet.co...0121,39166163,00.htm
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:14 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:10 PM »
This may reassure you, it's a great free online service that can scan a file with a dozen different antivirus tools.

Screenshot - 3_11_2008 , 7_55_25 PM.png
(the annotation is mine)

And another from here:

Screenshot - 3_11_2008 , 8_07_23 PM.png

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:13 PM by mouser »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I'm reluctant to bring this up because I'd hate to add to Mouser's bad day...  but apparently this false positive also affects Clipboard Help & Spell.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:14 PM »
it's affecting all of my programs -- i wonder if it isn't triggering on c++ builder compiler created programs.
what's the best part -- McAfee doesn't just "warn" about the detection, it just outright deletes the file.  Big thumbs down for McCrapfee.

I spent some time trying to find out how to report false positives to them -- best i found was an email address with an automated unhelpful reply.  My brief encounter with McCrapfee has left me with 0 respect for it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:22 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:40 PM »
Ok I stand by my comment that McAfee = McCrapee because of the automatic deletion, the bad mistake they made with this false positive, and by not having a better system of alerting the user when a brand new definition has found something suspicious.

I will give them credit however for a fast reply to my submitted file.  Just got this in the mail:
> Thank you for submitting your suspicious file.
> Synopsis -
> Our Senior Virus Research Engineers have examined the file in question
> and no virus was found.
> Solution -
> Attached is an extra.dat with correct detection.  This correction will
> be included in the next DAT update.

SO, at least they have a good system in place to evaluate reported false positives -- now let's see how fast they push through the update.

For those that are interested and don't want to wait for that, i will attach the EXTRA DAT file sent to me.
Instructions for installing it are here: http://vil.mcafeesec...lpdocs/extradat.aspx

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:59 PM »
I'm going to lock this thread so any further discussion of the issue occurs on the more general new thread here:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=12614