ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

Generic.dx Trojan detected

(1/2) > >>

edombowsky:
Today my McAfee Virus Scan Version 8.0.0.0 detected the Generic.dx Trojan within LaunchBar Commander.  My database is the March11, 2008 version.  So I downloaded a new copy from the DonationCoder website and just unzipped it and ran a virus scan on the files.  It again detected the Generic.dx Trojan.

Has any one else had this problem?

mouser:
i've just re-downloaded the launchbar commander setup program -- it has not been modified by anyone, and this is indeed the release from my computer created in August 2007, when the last release of LaunchBar Commander occurred.

This is a false alarm -- probably due to the fact that LBC is packed with PECompact.  I'm so sick of these damn antivirus programs giving people false fears -- it's so harmful to developers.  It's fine if they want to tell people that they don't know how to analyze a file, but it's not cool to scare people into thinking that a real virus has been detected.  >:( >:( >:(

The problem is that there is no incentive for antivirus programs to not flag everything they dont understand as a virus -- no one penalizes or gives bad marks to an antivirus program that false alarms constantly -- i wish they did.

I've basic gave up packing all my programs because i got sick of the BS from the antivirus programs, but the LBC release was old enough that it's still packed.

I'll try to put up a new version, unpacked, next weektoday if possible, just to reassure people.  But there is nothing wrong with the current version.  If you wait a few days McAfee might get updated and change its mind -- or try another antivirus to convince yourself everything is ok.

mouser:
a funny related article: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/06/03/13/mcafee-to-users--excel-is-a-virus

also, "Developer considers McAfee suit after 'Trojan' error": http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39166163,00.htm

mouser:
This may reassure you, it's a great free online service that can scan a file with a dozen different antivirus tools.

(the annotation is mine)

And another from here:

mwb1100:
I'm reluctant to bring this up because I'd hate to add to Mouser's bad day...  but apparently this false positive also affects Clipboard Help & Spell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version