ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

NO MORE ANONYMOUS POSTING!! How a Kentucky lawmaker wants this to be true

<< < (3/4) > >>

Cpilot:
The world is smaller than it was when the Declaration of Independence was signed.
--- End quote ---
Can't really get much more severe than execution, no matter what size the world.

Renegade:
It's just too much power to give to the government. There's no good reason for any government to "listen in on me." It's only ushering in Big Brother in the most blatant and insane way imaginable.

When I get drunk and rant about how assassination is a legitimate political tool (I think Machiavelli would agree), there's no reason for the government to hear that, or throw me in jail, or execute me, or whatever.

It's just dangerous to allow that kind of power to a government. Period.

The Russian example is proof enough.

Cpilot:
It's just too much power to give to the government. There's no good reason for any government to "listen in on me." It's only ushering in Big Brother in the most blatant and insane way imaginable.

When I get drunk and rant about how assassination is a legitimate political tool (I think Machiavelli would agree), there's no reason for the government to hear that, or throw me in jail, or execute me, or whatever.

It's just dangerous to allow that kind of power to a government. Period.

The Russian example is proof enough.
-Renegade (March 10, 2008, 10:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
If someone makes harassing and threatening phone calls to someone else or writes them harassing or threatening letters the government can step in and find the perpetrator and charge him with a crime.
Do you agree that those things are a crime and not protected speech?
Why should people be allowed to do the same thing on the internet anonymously and not be charged with a crime?

Renegade:
If someone makes harassing and threatening phone calls to someone else or writes them harassing or threatening letters the government can step in and find the perpetrator and charge him with a crime.
Do you agree that those things are a crime and not protected speech?
Why should people be allowed to do the same thing on the internet anonymously and not be charged with a crime?
-Cpilot (March 10, 2008, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Criminal behaviour is one thing. Treating me like a criminal when I'm not is another thing.

To those that would treat the innocent like criminals, I have only two words. One starts with "F" and the other with "O".

Most people are good people and don't engauge in that kind of behaviour. It is not necessary to monitor them.

Most people are not capable of doing things anonymously on the Internet. To do that, you need some kind of real obfuscation to cover your tracks. e.g. Anonymous proxy, TOR, etc.

The Internet is already wide open now. There is no sense in trying to pass a completely insane law that is equally technically insane. How could it possibly be implemented? Nuts. Sheer, complete, total, utter, unabashed insanity. The only reason to do it would be to restrict freedoms and bring the world yet one step closer to Big Brother.

Then again, the US, Canada and the UK governments have been whittling down and diluting freedoms so much over the past few decades that nobody sees it when it happens anymore. It's shameful.

jgpaiva:
Even though that doesn't seem like the way to go, i think the websites should be foced to record the IPs of the people who post content on them, and be forced to release those to the authorities when necessary.

Darwin: an annonymous letter, etc, is completelly different, as that is only something that is sent to you directly, and not everyone else.

My father has recently been involved in problems like this, where someone posted very bad (and false) things about him on a known website (and the website owner didn't delete it), and now he's having trouble finding that person to be able to sue him to prove he was lying.  I know that recording the IP wouldn't be a perfect solution, but would at least give some of these cases a chance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version