topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: KMPlayer going commercial?  (Read 12430 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
KMPlayer going commercial?
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:00 AM »
i read this from the KMPlayer forums recently. it seems that part of KMPlayer's technology has been sourced out for commercial purposes however the spokesperson for the buying company (Pandora TV) has given assurances that "KMP will remain free for personal and commercial use".

ws-kmp-1.png
http://www.kmplayer....owthread.php?p=43640

zajc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: KMPlayer going commercial?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:33 AM »
I'm afraid it will end up like BSplayer with ad-aware or Nero with tons of unnecessary tools  :(

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 03:50 AM »
Thanks for the tip off! I haven't updated my KMPlayer for months. I'll have to look into getting the last stable version and last few non-stable builds tomorrow.

Yeah, BSPlayer stayed "free" but it completely sucked IIRC.

Second Shadow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:16 PM »
 :(

I like KMPlayer so much ....

Maybe it's time to give GOM Player a try. They say good things about it. Has anyone used it?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:57 PM »
sure, a lot of us here started with both before deciding on one/ keeping both. :) you can follow more discussions here: KMPlayer and GOMPlayer.

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 11:59 AM »
KMplayer here, plays everything I ever throw at it. I tried GOMPlayer after also hearing many good reports about it but it didn't take long before I found some clips it couldn't play and it tried to take me to a codec site to download codecs. Installing codecs into my windows system is something I tried to stop doing a few years ago as you can wreak havoc with your machine and get plenty of playback issues once you start messing with different codecs on your system.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:30 PM »
KMPlayer is brilliant! The only gripe I've had with it is mpg videos didn't look as good with its internal codec as they did with the system default codec. Other than that it's completely self-contained and excels in every department. I wouldn't bother wasting time on alternatives just yet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:35 PM by nosh »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:16 AM »
I happen to go to the KMPlayer forum earlier today... To my surprise they've released a new, "Pandora" branded version! I haven't used it yet, but it looks pretty good.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:10 AM »
FWIW: I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for an ad-free unbranded version if it came to that. It's a great little app, and the developer deserves somthing for his/her efforts. But only if they don't junk it up with a lot of feature bloat.

If they go the "full featured" route then I'd hope they'll keep a basic version that "just plays everything" - and skip the album art, play lists, and all the other nonsense that has muddied up just about every media player out there. That's why I dumped Winamp, RealPlayer, Quicktime, MediaMonkey, Musicmatch Jukebox...the list goes on and on and on...

:wallbash:

Not everybody wants to run their entire life out of their media player. The beauty of KMedia Player is that it's small, fast, and plays things without a hassle. I hope they don't lose sight of that.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:13 AM by 40hz »

Xenonym

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Life is too short for boredom.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 07:08 AM »
I am surprised nobody mentioned Media Player Classic yet. It's small and light, and has not b0rked at me despite the long time for which it hasn't updated.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 01:39 AM »
I like both MPC and VLC however their UI leaves a lot to be desired. KMP has a much nicer UI and a lot more options to tweak and it has some really neat features that no one else has (such as the album thumbnails). I have all 3 installed.