topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sauerbraten Server Updates and DonationCoder map - Sauerbraten FPS fun  (Read 53372 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have gotten a couple of fellow DC gamers to join me in a fast paced FPS (first person shooter) known as Sauerbraten. It is similar to the old-school Doom type games, where you are always moving rapidly, and stuff can change in an instant. It is very fun and offers countless hours of insane killing :P

Pros:
Many gametypes
Easy to learn
Not too "gorey"
Can become very funny at times
Runs on OLD hardware
Lots of nice effects for NEW hardware
Built in co-op map editor function (!!!)
POWERFUL map editor
AVAILABLE FOR WINDOWS, MAC, OR LINUX!

Cons:
Large download + patch (~216MB)
People in co-op editing can be a pain (online people)
(A few) Cheaters online

Bonus:
I can host games behind my router with no problem ON-DEMAND
I can host games behind my router with no problem for DEDICATED SERVERS

Myself, Deozaan, and p3lb0x have been making maps and battling each other for the past week, and the game can become really addicting. Unfortunately, I am planning on making all servers private/closed down to public due to my having to take 20+ minutes every time I get ready to save the DonationCoder map to clean up crap people leave and make it look good again (and not like a sandbox). But, more fun for us, right?

Here are some screenshots of the DonationCoder.com/wtfCody.com map - contributed to by those stated above, as well as several loyal players online that happened to join in and assist (or destroy :P).

Sauerbraten official website: http://www.sauerbraten.org/

Come join us! :)

-Brandon

EDIT: File size correction :-[
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:45 AM by wreckedcarzz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DonationCoder map - Sauerbraten FPS fun
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I just have to say that Sauerbraten is the most fun I've had in an FPS since the good old days of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64.

The map editor is in game and very powerful. It's also very easy to use with a mild learning curve. You just push a button to change from edit mode to kill mode. And what's great is you can have people join you and you can all collaborate on a map together. This lets you test things in real time with people you know or strangers on the internet.

If you're interested in games and FPS at all, you really need to download Sauerbraten! I can't recommend it enough!

EDIT: Okay, I feel I should come back here and explain what it is I like about it. I really enjoy being able to create something and work as a team creating something one minute, then the next minute blast other people around on your creation. Plus with the servers, anybody can join in (though you do have standard control like kick/ban, etc.) and instantly tell you how awesome your map is, and people who have more experience than you can show you some cool techniques and help improve your map.

That's what I like about it.

As far as an FPS game goes, it's probably a bit substandard. Weapons don't have secondary functions. No ducking. Changing weapons is a little confusing. . . There are lots of things that make it not as wonderful as something like Team Fortress. But it is Open Source, freely available, and instant, hectic fun!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:58 PM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:08 AM »
where's cody and where are his coins? i don't see them in the screenshots?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:18 AM »
where's cody and where are his coins? i don't see them in the screenshots?

They're in the making?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:20 AM »
It took me almost 4 hours to make the "DonationCoder.com" text - a cody will be a total-day job. Maybe for the weekend :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:57 AM »
My mistake, and I have edited my original post to reflect this: The game + patch is about 216MB, not 400. I have no clue where I got the 400MB from. :huh:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:38 AM »
WOW! Looks really nice, I'm going to download it. Maybe I won't play it online, but I'm sure it'll provide some mindless fun by itself. Now, can people stop making OSS FPS? I have various sitting in the HDD, and there are tons more out there! :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SAUERBRATEN DEDICATED SERVER IS ALMOST READY!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:00 PM »
Alright, we are almost ready to rock with the dedicated server!!! :D

The server (my own old Gateway PC) will be running a dedicated Sauerbraten server 24/7 (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE PACK 3/UPDATE INSTALLATION) from now on. Use Hamachi to connect (the Hamachi name will be something like BrandonSauerServer or something, so you can tell the difference from it and me).

For anyone curious about the technical details of what the box has in it...

Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz CPU (don't remember core name atm, but it was the original P4 core)
768MB DDR RAM (unknown speed)
Western Digital 120GB HD @ 7,200RPMs
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP 8x 512MB
Windows XP SP2 (soon to be SP3) w/ all updates

I keep nothing but LogMeIn running on the box, so that if I need to I can access it remotely (if I am at school or something) to work on it. Nothing sits in the tray, and a whole 5 user processes run on it (3 graphics card, explorer, and something else from Windows that I can't remember atm). Against all odds and hardware limits, it is VERY fast, and has taken more than its share of beatings from the family over its lifespan. Do not underestimate this thing as a "server".

I will have the server up and running in approximately an hour. It may take longer though- USB install via USB 1.1 isn't what I would call "speedy".

-Brandon

P.S.: I have no issues with people taking Master status of the server, however I don't want anyone abusing their power. Also, no one may take administrator status of the server except me (that is assuming you are able to, I don't know how secure the game engine is- supposedly only the localhost can become an admin, but...). I am doing this voluntarily. Just have fun and play nice. :)

EDIT: I have added an administrator password as well as a server description (DonationCoder), and Hamachi has been installed. The server will be up in about 5 minutes. Come and join the fun!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:25 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:24 AM »
A major update to the DonationCoder map: I have been working solo on a beta version of the map for a week or so now, asking outsiders to help me make things for the map, as well as just letting people build freely and then using what they build as a basis for something that can be integrated into the map.

The result:

• The RED base now has a much improved armory, with hidden exit (thanks to Deozaan)
  • The text DONATIONCODER.COM is now lit up amazingly on the highest lighting settings (Deozaan again)
  • The bases have new textures
  • There is both artificial and sunlight effects (ask how to turn them on if you join the server; a recent PC with good CPU is recommended for higher options) - p3lb0x helped with armory lighing
  • There is a battle arena/viewing location for large scale battle viewing and close quarters battles in the arena. The arena has a small floor with lava pit and 2 connecting bridges down the center of the rectangular pit, with a similar configuration at the top, and the roof ledges can be used for battles as well, along with the hallways. The arena viewing area windows are great for sniping, too ;))
  • There is a small water channel (I should say tiny) that provides water to the community pool next to the arena. This can be used strategically to hide, however it is easily ambushed...
  • An AFK room sits on the side of the map, between the two bases. This room is meant as a safe haven for AFKers. A teleport allows escape.
  • The map is now "bordered" via lava.
  • P3lb0x's castle has been relocated due to the battle arena (don't worry, it is the exactly way it was before ;))
  • The RED and BLUE team letters are now coated in glass (to prevent death from lava and an advantage via water).
  • The underground water tunnel has had a MAJOR repair (HUGE thanks to Deozaan for helping me on that!!!) and has beentotally redone.
  • The map can be extended at any time via removal and replacement of the outer lava.

The dedicated server is still up, and I will be on for most of this week (SPRING BREAK!!! :D). Drop in if you can (just remember to set your name)!

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 03:41 AM »
Just an FYI: The server will be down for about 6-8 hours starting now, due to a power shortage where I live (it would seem some individual has collided their vehicle into a local power generator). So to help keep the whole house running and keep the server PC from harm, I am simply going to shut it down. It will be back up later today. :Thmbsup:

-Brandon

EDIT: Server back online - it killed my computers MAC address data (the server) so I had to fix the DMZ on the router, but it appears all is working now. :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:34 AM by wreckedcarzz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Cool. If I can get my computer to turn on again I'll have to take a look at the new changes!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32 PM »
 ;D

You didn't miss anything, the server was down all today (hosting a personal clan server on Halo Custom Edition, and torrents, and Linux conversion)

It has been up about an hour now, so if you get it working, join up! :)

EDIT: The map also supports "Capture" mode now (essentially a CTF varient). Very fun. 8)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:34 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 11:54 PM »
EDIT: The map also supports "Capture" mode now (essentially a CTF varient). Very fun. 8)
-wreckedcarzz (March 26, 2008, 11:32 PM)

Cool, how did you add capture mode? My level has the basics down when it comes to level design, but how to actually script bases and capture points is still beyond me.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 11:55 PM »
You have to enter some command into the ... whatchamacallit... :P

Its like "/newent base 0" or something? I don't quite remember (you could just copy paste a base from the DC map...).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 11:57 PM »
You have to enter some command into the ... whatchamacallit... :P
-wreckedcarzz (March 26, 2008, 11:55 PM)

Console?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Yea...that :-[ ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:05 AM »
My computer won't start. :(

Xenonym

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Life is too short for boredom.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07 AM »
Hmm, is it just my firewall/NAT settings, or did I not catch the server name properly?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 12:43 AM »
I knew someone would try to join the server before I got it back online...

The server has been down for about a week now - something happened (I don't remember) and I shut it down for a temporary reason... and I only booted it up a couple times after that and quickly shut it down again.

I will have to find out what happened again (it has been a week of chaos for me) and fix it, and get the server back online. I will do that now and re-post when completed :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 02:47 AM »
Alright, as it approaches 1AM here where I live, the server is now back online. I will take it down sometime this weekend for a short period to update SnapSuite on it and run maintenance. Other than that - play on!

Xenonym

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Life is too short for boredom.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 07:51 AM »
Well, can someone tell me the server name? I am still very confused as to what it is.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 01:22 PM »
My computer officially out of commission. So I've installed Sauerbraten on this one. :-)

Servers are named like this: mapname, playstyle: I.P., Servername.

So right now the Server for this thread is listed as "labyrinth, coopedit: 130.13.135.145, DonationCoder"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 01:46 PM »
i tried joining and got in spectator mode and could never figure out how to start playing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 01:50 PM »
i tried joining and got in spectator mode and could never figure out how to start playing.

When was that?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 02:35 PM »
That would mean that someone was on the server as a Master and setup the server to have all new players be spectators. Hmm... :tellme: - When was that?

I have to go check the mail for a package, but after that I will logon and take Administrator (highest option) and make sure everyone can get in and play :)

FYI: Hold TAB to see a list of players - White are Normal, Green (I think) are Masters, and Orange (only one) are Administrators. If you can't leave spectator mode and they refuse to "unspec" you (make normal/not spectator), just take down their name and post it here so I can ban it :Thmbsup: