topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sauerbraten Server Updates and DonationCoder map - Sauerbraten FPS fun  (Read 53381 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DonationCoder map - Sauerbraten FPS fun
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Mouser and I played for a few minutes on the default map. The DonationCoder map wasn't uploaded so I couldn't show it to him. He said it was fun and he'd try it out again later.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 04:46 PM »
I am online now - my dad is sick, so I don't have to continue redecorating the master bathroom today.

I will just be making stuff, so come and join :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 06:08 PM »
that was very very fun  :D

now everyone get back to work!

Xenonym

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Life is too short for boredom.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 11:35 PM »
I actually meant the Hamachi network name...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 11:36 PM »
OH! Doh!

The Hamachi network is called "dcgamers" - PM me for the password :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 11:56 PM »
I actually meant the Hamachi network name...

Just FYI: Hamachi is not necessary to play on the Sauerbraten server.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 01:47 AM »
Here's a tip: If when you join the DC Map it looks like you're out in space, like this:

Sauerbraten DC Map.png

Then the textures are NOT showing up properly! Here's how to fix them so they look like the screenshots Wreckedcarzz posted in the original post. Just type:

/exec data/default_map_settings.cfg

And voila! You've got the map looking the way it was intended!

Another fun thing is that instead of everything having 100% light there are lights placed throughout levels for cool lighting effects so if you type in:

/calclight

It will calculate the lighting. I just have to warn you about a couple of things. First of all, this can take a long time depending on your computer. Another thing is that as of now, the lighting isn't completed on the DonationCoder map so if you do this half of the map will be very dark, so it's probably not worth it on this map at this time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:50 AM by Deozaan »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 12:35 AM »
Yes, the DonationCoder lighting setup is about 50% complete - but at maximum settings (ask me in-game) it looks amazing even thus far. This map should be really awesome by the time it is complete.

Also: server went down via power cut about 6 hours ago - the CPU overloaded and the computer stopped responding, so a hard shutdown was required. Rebooting now...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36 PM »
OK, some news about the DC map...

It does now lag quite a bit on single-core machines (*cough*) and you need a beefy system to keep the lag at a minimum. Having the computer in good condition helps too ;)

But anyways, I have added some small patches of water, fixed some lava, and added some trees (some of you have seen the trees). But more than that, as some of you know from other FPS games with custom maps, there are often easter eggs and secret rooms. This map is no exception. The secret area (it is not a room) is 100% hidden from any prying eyes, and can only be found in 2 conditions:

Total luck/chance/coincidence
My showing you (or someone I have shown already, showing you)

The secret area allows access to all major buildings and structures, as well as both secrets. Note, however, that there are NO WEAPONS in this area - if you get caught empty handed, you have to run. The only point of the area is fast navigation and stealth (and the secret structures too, of course).

Join the server and I'll show you where you can find this little area :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I have received multiple reports that people (not from DC) are taking over the server and blocking DC members from accessing it. Because this happens when I am not on the server (I am an administrator when I am online) Deozaan suggested that I hand out the server password to some (trustworthy) people that join the server more often (or when I am away, etc).

Currently Deozaan has the password and I am PMing mouser now to see if he wants it (I would assume as much), so if the server has you being a spectator and the players inside (specifically the Master player - green name on the player list (TAB)) refuse to cooperate and/or there are people abusing their Master status powers (anyone can join a server and become Master (!) ) and you can't get ahold of me, they should be able to handle it. :up: I may "hand out" the passcode to more people as time goes and it is needed. :-\

In case you don't know, you can reach me just about 24/7 (if I am away, leave a message after the beep :P) on Xfire - "wreckedcarzz" (what else?). :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40 AM »
I have received multiple reports that people (not from DC) are taking over the server and blocking DC members from accessing it. Because this happens when I am not on the server (I am an administrator when I am online) Deozaan suggested that I hand out the server password to some (trustworthy) people that join the server more often (or when I am away, etc).
-wreckedcarzz (April 14, 2008, 06:59 PM)

I'd also like to add in that I popped in today as admin and talked to a few of the people there who had locked us out. They had it locked because they were working on a map and people were coming in and messing with it. (And it was actually a pretty cool looking map!)

I let them know that the server is intended for use by DonationCoder members, gave them the names of a few of the "regular" DC Sauerbraten members, and told them to please let DC Members join and play. I suggested that if they have problems with people coming in and destroying their map that they restrict joiners as spectators, and if the new joiners are DC Members, that they respectfully save their map and let us play. They agreed and were very polite about it.

So what I'm getting at here is that I don't think any harm was intended. There are probably some meanies out there playing Sauerbraten but most of the time politely asking will do the trick.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 02:59 AM »
May I point out that at least three times today (well, yesterday unless your in California, then you have about 2 minutes left until today where I live) the server was attacked by exploiters in an attempt to simply, and quite frankly, piss everyone off. In short, it goes somewhat like this...

• Person XYZ joins server. Everyone says Hi (or the like) and goes about building.
  • I usually save every 5-10 minutes, so this is a common point for me.
  • Person XYZ begins building as everyone else, yet slower and less creatively.
  • Person XYZ waits for someone to announce that something has occurred that is cool (or interesting, etc).
  • At this point, person XYZ either demands something (in one case it was the Admin password (!)) or simply goes to the next step.
  • Person XYZ initiates a loop of 20-50 NewMap commands, thereby removing attempt to save.
  • Person XYZ's attack method causes them to exit the server before they can be banned.

I have not tried to /getmap back after an attack (I will attempt this if/when it occurs again). Measures are being taken to ensure that the chances of map work loss are minimal.

Sorry about this everyone - I'll keep you posted!

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SAUERBRATEN SERVER OUTAGE SCHEDULED AT 8:30PST
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 10:09 PM »
SAUERBRATEN SERVER OUTAGE SCHEDULED AT 8:30PST (20 minutes from now)

Just thought I would inform everyone that I am now installing SP3 on the XP server that Sauer hosts from, so it will be down for approximately 30-60 minutes. If you can not get on after that time period (9:30PST/12:30 AM EST) than just be patient - I am going to keep it churning away for as long as it needs (won't cancel it or anything) and plan on running maintenance on6 it afterward (with my trusty program SnapSuite doing all the work ;)).

BTW: (The server (program, specifically) goes down randomly on occasion for some reason so if you could not get on today that was probably why...I'll have to make an AHK bot to check if it is up or not or something...)

EDIT: See next post :-[
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:47 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, I have *finally* gotten around to rebooting the server and getting it updated. SP3 is installing now and the server, assuming all goes well, should be up and running better than ever in about 18 hours (sleep+school, then maintenance, then rebooting and confirming that all is well).

I'll keep everyone posted! :)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, the server is ready to rock. I may kick up the amount of allowed users a bit (to 8 or 10) if everything goes smoothly.

Sorry for the long downtime, but everything is back now. I will be in the server in about 30 minutes if anyone wants to edit/kill/race with me. :)

Game on!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have had the Sauer server dead for a few days now (looking for an old racing game on old hard drives, and it is the easiest to access as far as hot-swapping goes). It may stay offline for a while, and I might drop offline on my primary machine too more often as well.

Reason (if anyone cares about my personal problems):
Spoiler
Money got real tight real fast, and I figure that my room probably uses the most power out of anything in the house (A/C, fridge, and washer/dryer included) so the more I cut back on energy, the less complaining I have to hear. I am running 2 desktops, a laptop, a Playstation, Xbox, and TV set in here - as well as the modem/cable box, and router, and an all-in-one printer - so it surely can't hurt!

Sorry all, but we still have Trackmania and Project Torque - and I have some other games uploaded that I can send out, but no Sauer anytime soon... :(

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bump! w00t! ;D

The new version of Sauerbraten, codenamed "CTF Edition" (because of the new CTF mode - it is said to be different from capture, not sure yet), has been released! I have the new version and, if you have a CPU that is decent and you have a good graphics card, you will enjoy the new graphical changes. The menus have been slightly changed, there is a new configuration editor (game config ini file I believe), a few new game modes, a single player Campaign mode, new maps, etc etc etc.

Because of this new version, I have begun working a bit again on the DC map - improving the sunlight and small lighting is my current task. Little changes will appear here and there. I plan to extend the map out (removing the "fake sky") and "grow" the map as was originally planned. There may also be a new, more major water flow system, with a waterfall (not sure yet, but it sure would be cool). And maybe some bunkers to hide out in and make the new CTF more challenging and fun.

I am currently doing a private game with a friend of mine (not a DC member) teaching him how to build and whatnot, and the SB dedicated server is still offline (I have to update it to the new version), but I want to make this map much better than it already is and let everyone enjoy it. Also, the DonationCoder City (I believe that is the un-official name of it) is looking a bit outdated, so I might make some changes and improvements there.

If you want to come help out on the map before I "officially" finish the lighting and new additions, you can PM me here, IM me, or email me and I can prep a server real quick and we can work on it. Anyone here at DC is welcome to work on the map, however anyone caught destroying the map out of pure maliciousness (I assume that is a word) will not be allowed on any of my DC server(s) anymore, and may be reported to mouser (or a moderator here). Lots of people have worked hard on this map, please play nice. :)

(Moving items to new locations is not destroying, as long as the item is pasted to its new location promptly. Also, if you are new to Sauerbraten and make a mistake, that is fine! :Thmbsup: "Destroying" means taking whole chunks out of the map and attempting to sync the bad map with everyone, and leaving/attempting to get people to save the defaced map.)

Anyways, enough talk, more /calclight! ;D
-Brandon

(You can get the new Sauer version from http://www.sauerbraten.org)

ironhustla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Il play to :) i already have it cause i Download alot of game editors in confusion and i dont even no how to script .... :P

ironhustla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And i love how fast paced the game is :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sounds fun. Can't wait until that hard drive arrives so I can back up my data and return to using my computer.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I may post some screenshots later tonight, I was having fun playing on the map (several people from the 'net came onto my server earlier today before I was able to change the mastermode to lock it down, and I got some positive feedback, so that is always good...) and making changes. We (myself and, I believe Deozaan) had a person come in a couple months back and make a small tower in the corner of the map - it was inaccessible outside of edit mode, so I converted it to a water fountain. It came out pretty nice. :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, some additional changes...

• Red base inside now glows red
  • Blue base inside now glows blue (ceiling especially)
  • Pool now has lights around it (on the inside, right above the water) for improved visibility
  • I am testing some barely-noticeable yellow lights on top of the flagpoles, and may try to make the flags appear like they are waving
  • I moved a couple of the bases (flags in capture mode) to make them not float
  • Fixed p3lb0x's castle (the stairs were all wierd)
  • Added light fixture in p3lb0x's castle (there was light, but no source!)
  • The secret area above the map is now inaccessible unless within edit mode, so play fair!
  • There are now dim red lights outlining one of the exits of the Battle Arena (the same side that has the glowing lights for the entrance) - the other side is planned
  • Fixed sunlight (there are now 2 functional suns, one for the Battle Arena and one for the overall portion of the map)
  • Some other random fixes
  • And more to come...

I have 5 screenshots, but with the new lighting 3 of them are outdated already so still no images yet, but I promise you will like the new changes :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, screenshots are SOOO Windows ME ;D

How about a video? Good, cause that's what I have :P

I took a 3 minute video showing off all the main areas of the DC map. It came out pretty nice, even though I had to do it in chunks to keep the FRAPS encoder from slaughtering my CPU. The map is not yet complete, and I forgot that darn light in p3lb0x's castle again, but I figure it might as well be version 0.1 beta.

Some other changes you might not notice...

• Removed fake sky
  • Removed all objects outside of the main area (the sandbox objects people made) - they have been saved in a map called "donationcoderbackup" in case.
  • The bottom of p3lb0x's castle now actually touches the bottom of the foundation!
  • Some other small changes to make the map feel more realistic

You might notice the graphical corruption on the video, when I look at the fake sky map "walls" - I am not sure, but this is probably a side effect of my overclocking. But whatever, its no big deal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3yJAtOnEy_w

Enjoy!
-Brandon

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When the video mentioned audio problems I put on my headphones so I could hear. When the music first started up I was ready to take off the earphones because I don't particularly care for the hard rock music that comes with Sauerbraten. Then I realized it was Hell March from Red Alert and I enjoyed the audio thenceforth.

:) Looks good!

And yes I was there when somebody started working on the water tower, but I left before it was finalized. It turned out pretty neat.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hell March Remix, that is :)

But yes, I have the first and second plus the remix - they all go pretty well with Sauerbraten IMO. Good for overriding some of the songs I don't particularly care for while playing.

The water tower was my idea - it was actually some type of a castle or something, but the person left before it was finished - all I did was add the foundation, the water, the steam, and some barriers to make it look more realistic.