topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Willing to pay for a small code... $$$  (Read 14883 times)

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Willing to pay for a small code... $$$
« on: March 08, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Who could help me with this?
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4131.0

I'm willing to pay for the time (let me know!)
-v

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Willing to pay for a small code... $$$
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19 PM »
After reading the linked thread, I'd lke to recommend SQLNotes. I'm the developper of this "notetaking" software. It is actually much more than notetaking, but it does that quite well.
- It has user-defined fields where you can enter bibliographical references, categories, etc.
- It support hierarchy so you can add many notes to a single reference. All notes can inherit the bibliographical reference
- It supports hyperlinks so you can link a note to another, to a group of notes, to a web page, etc
- It support both 1-pane and 2 pane rich-text outliner. So you can highlight the outline items and drag-drop web content and references
- Items (and sub-items) can be exported to HTML (and then to Word). Many formatting options
- Foreground and background color, font, etc can be set manually or through some other properties (it supports equations, but you'll likely not need them much)
- Citations can be shown in hierarchy context or without (i.e. separate from context: all citations with a given tag, with specific words, etc)
- Full search and filtering
- Multi-view of your information
- A give citation can appear in many views (i.e. many chapters) and under many parents
- Some GrandView features are being added, namely option to show the content pane within the outline
- The UI is modern and the program is being developped right now.

What it doesn't do is the last part of your cited post, regarding citations creation (but it could generate a numbered list of references)

Finally:
- A lengthy thread deals with it here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10432.0
- The official web site is here: www.sqlnotes.net
- It is currently free to use
- I can help in setting it up for you

BTW Superboyac, the author of the Great notetaking review: https://www.donation...oteTakers1/index.php is totally sold on this  :)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 11:13 AM »
I think SQLNotes would be great too, except for the citation part. (But, eventually, a solution could be found --> linking fields to the "conversion" web pages?? ;) )
The good thing about SQLNotes is that it's VERY flexible and you can set it the way you like. Might seem a bit abstract at first, but it's just a matter of setting everything up and understanding the basic principles.

Eventually, there's also IdeaMason. It didn't work for me, but might for you...

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Is there any type of tutorial? A screen cast would be awesome!

Armando: How might it be possible to export the citations you said? I'd be interesting in hearing what exactly was working for you with IdeaMason...

Thanks for the heads up guys!
-v-

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I found IdeaMason a bit sluggish and limited, not flexible enough for my needs. I pretty much expressed my conclusions in a post I made today. You'll see that I'm not alone in finding IdeaMason a bit restrictive. But you could try it and see for yourself. Some find it perfect for their needs.

I, of course, suggest that you ALSO have a look at SQL-Notes, AND contact PPLandry for help if you need any (I'm available too, but I'm not the developer and my knowledge is much more limited). He's a very very nice guy and will probably get you what you need in a very reasonable amount of time.

For some SQL-Notes screenshots, flash presentation, examples, help, forum, etc. : http://www.sqlnotes.net/ .

Keep in mind : SQLNotes can be as complex/simple as you want. YOU decide. Still in beta, but already more usefull than most PIMs and note takers out there.

PS : If you already possess Endnote or some similar reference solution, all you need is something flexible enough to structure your ideas. And, like I said in the other thread, it's very possible that the fact that MS Word will be integrated in SQL-Notes in about a week or two, that some of it's referencing plug-ins will too (I don't see why not! Pierre... if you read that :)).

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 02:49 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:50 PM »
(edited previous post -- made it more understandable  :-[)

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Would there be a possibility of someone helping me set up a template for research note-taking?

- A main level BIBLIO entry (book, journal, article, etc), with all the biblio info linked to it.

- "Notes/comments" items which also has a title (brief summary of note item). Bear in mind that they need to be linked somehow (automatically) to the main level BIBLIO entry and there should be the possibility of adding the page number. Especially if it becomes possible to export to MSWord (and similar) - here what would need to be exported are: a) the note (item content) b) some meta info (customizable?) and c) the AUTHOR, YEAR and PAGE#.
Plus tagging for items for quick search and cross-referencing.

Didn't find the screen cast. At a first glance this looks very nice, but for someone not used to DBs like myself, I'm having problems setting it up.

Thanks guys!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 03:17 PM »
Do Yyu mean a template for SQL-notes?

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:19 PM »
PPLandry and Armando -

(sorry for all the posts, but I'm really psyched! I decided not to PVT you since this might be useful for others...)

Say I have my biblio entries exported from a third party program as a text or comma separated file, how might I import it here so as to already start taking notes :)

-V-

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Do Yyu mean a template for SQL-notes?

Yes, is this possible?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 05:09 PM »
OK... Like I said PPLandry (Pierre) is the expert. And he'd probably get you to where you want in no time. But I can try to give it a shot since Pierre might be taking his Sunday off  ;).

Say I have my biblio entries exported from a third party program as a text or comma separated file, how might I import it here so as to already start taking notes :)

This shouldn't be too complicated, unless you already some long notes in your CSV file that include some carriage return.

So... let's try anyways. There are 4 steps (it looks complicated but it isn't. It,s just long to write everything down since I don't know how knowledgeable you are with computers!) :

1) First, I suggest you look at the fields available in SQLNotes and create some extra ones

1- Go to the "View" Menu ---> "Manage fields".

- You'll see all the default fields. (You can create as many others as you want.) See if there are some fields there that you could already use. For instance, the "item" field could be used for the title of the book or the author, or... something else. I suggest the title of the book, since there are usually no 2 identical titles, but many books per author.

2 - Now you'll create the ones you need for your export to work well : Author, Date, Publisher, etc.  You'll need all these fields to be able to export your data somewhere :

--> Click on the "New" button
        --> Give the field a name
        --> repeat...  :)

That's it for now. (Eventually, you could customize all the fields properties)

2) IMPORT your data

1- Go to the "File" menu --> Import --> Import Data

Leave the settings as they are since you have a comma separated file.

If the first row of your comma separated file contains the fields names (ie : author, title, ...), leave the corresponding box checked. (You could open your CSV file in a text editor to check that)

Now :

2- Click on "Open File"

3- Find your CSV file

4- Open it : You should now see SOME (if not all -- default is 100) of your references in the import window.

5- Click "next"

Now... In the top window you'll see all the data you're trying to import AND in the bottom part, how you'll map the different fields : Import fields are the one you're trying to import, and current fields are the one they will be imported into!

6- make sure you select one current fields (from the fields you created earlier OR default ones) for each field you're trying to import. use the little drop down menus in each text box -- or just type and it will show you what's available.

7- Once that is done, click "next" : you'll see all your references that are going to be imported

8- Click on "IMPORT".

That's it for the importing part.  :)

3) ****Set up a grid to see your data.****

(NB : Even if you can't see your data, it's there. You need to set a grid to be able to see it. Grids are like different views on your data. Your data doesn't belong to any grid per se, but can be seen through them.)

There are at least 2 ways to do that. Here's one :

1- Grid Menu --> "Properties"

OR

- In the Grid list, at the bottom : Click on "New View", type the name of a field you created

2- In the Right part of the window, in the "data" section --> define the Grid's "source" (the field all the items in the grid will have in common)... Maybe will it be "title" or something like that : choose a field that you created ANS that'll be shared by ALL your references. You can change it later anyways.

3- Click SAVE.

That's it.

4) Now open your grid and display your data

2 simple ways :

1- click on the your new Grid Button (with the name you chose), on the grid button bar (you should see these grids on it too : Welcome, appointments...)

2- Or click on the "view" menu --> Grids --> click on your grid name.

3- Now, you might want to display more columns/fields (fields are displayed in columns)  ;) :

- you can right-click on one of the column's header and select "displayed columns",
     OR
     - left click on the "Grid" menu and select "displayed columns". Whatever you prefer! "Check" the fields/columns you want do display in your grid.

NB : You don't have to display ALL the filled fields in your grid. There's a property pane (press F4 or shift+f4) that shows everything you always wanted to ask about items (ie : your references in that case) but were afraid to ask! You can position your panels wherever you want by dragging them around (click and drag with their title bar), and fix their position or auto-hide them --> use the little "pin" icon on their title bar. (there are several different panes --> ie : HTML, properties, manage forms; look in the "view" menu)

VoilĂ  ! Congratulations, you created your first grid and imported your first references.  ;D

I'm sure you'll have other questions after that.  :)

I suggest you also have a look at this Guide

Would there be a possibility of someone helping me set up a template for research note-taking?

that should be possible too. But Pierre will be better at this one.

- A main level BIBLIO entry (book, journal, article, etc), with all the biblio info linked to it.

- "Notes/comments" items which also has a title (brief summary of note item). Bear in mind that they need to be linked somehow (automatically) to the main level BIBLIO entry and there should be the possibility of adding the page number. Especially if it becomes possible to export to MSWord (and similar) - here what would need to be exported are: a) the note (item content) b) some meta info (customizable?) and c) the AUTHOR, YEAR and PAGE#.
Plus tagging for items for quick search and cross-referencing.

Again... Pierre.

Didn't find the screen cast. At a first glance this looks very nice, but for someone not used to DBs like myself, I'm having problems setting it up.

Well, it's not exactly a screencast but a little flash presentation at the bottom of http://www.sqlnotes.net/.

There was also a little screencast but I can't find it now. I'll look for it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:16 AM by Armando »

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31 PM »
OK... Like I said PPLandry (Pierre) is the expert. And he'd probably get you to where you want in no time. But I can try to give it a shot since Pierre might be taking his Sunday off  ;).
I'm back from a day off (as Armando correctly guessed) and will gladly read this thread closely tomorrow. That said, contributions from beta testers have been truly invaluable. They use SQLNotes in ways that I had not envisioned  :Thmbsup:. Suggestions from Armando, superboyac or tomos (just to name those most active here on DC) are as valuable as mine.
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 04:49 PM »
So, vevola...?  :)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Sorry, I was busy releasing version 0.9.22.5. I'll look at this tomorrow

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 05:51 PM »
My question was not directed towards you Pierre. Don't worry  ;D.
I was just wondering if vevola was able to import data in SQLNotes...

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Understood! don't worry. I was referring to a previous post of mine, where I said I'd look at it monday...

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 07:20 PM »
What if there are line breaks in the file that i'm trying to import (not commas or tabs)?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23 PM »
What if there are line breaks in the file that i'm trying to import (not commas or tabs)?
I'm working on this issue right now, so if you can send me a sample (betasupport @ sqlnotes.xxx), I'll make sure that the import goes smoothly

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12 PM »
I got your file, Thanks. Most of the work required is quite easy. SN seems well suited for this kind of information gathering.

You mention Zotero. Would you actually use it? It is rather nice since (1) it uses a SQLite database which SN could read and have live links to Zotero collections and (2) supports many exports type, including XML which SN can easily read.

If you don't plan to use Zotero, I can enhance the importer to support importing biblio formats

I'll be back with a SQLNotes file setup for you

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 01:04 AM »
Well, it seems that the Zotero community is growing, although I'd prefer working only with one app and having the option.

Should we move this discussion elsewhere at this time? What do you think?