topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: REQUEST: Prompt at startup if screenshot folder does not exist  (Read 8442 times)

jordis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi
This is an issue that I wouldn't know whether it's a bug or a feature request:
Current SC behavior:
At startup, if the "Screenshot folder" (configured in preferences or the latest one you used) does not exist, SC will create it without notifying the user (probably I would consider this a bug).
Issue: For people who has SC installed on a USB device, it's very likely that screenshot folder will change from machine to machine. It's not very convenient to move to another machine, start SC and find out that SC created the directory that was last used in the previous machine.
Suggestion: At startup, SC should check whether the last screenshot folder used does exist. If it does, use it. If it doesn't, SC should tell the user. Probably a simple prompt like this would do:
"The latest used screenshot folder:
<foldername>
does not exist. How should I proceed?"
Button: "Create folder"
Button: "Specify another screenshot folder" --> this would bring the "Change screenshot directory" dialog
So the user could just decide whether the non-existent folder should be created or whether he/she would like to specify another folder.

I hope I made myself clear.

jordi s

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: REQUEST: Prompt at startup if screenshot folder does not exist
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:15 PM »
This is a really EXCELLENT idea and i'm adding it to my todo list.
What makes it so good is that it could be useful also for first use of the program on any install, to help the user choose where they want their screenshot directory and let them know where it will be stored.

jordis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:58 AM »
Great you like the idea. Also, it's quite easy to implement ;-)
Now that we're at it, another (related) thing that I miss is a "Create folder" button in the "Change screenshot directory" dialog.
Currently, the folder needs to exist to be able to select it.
The option to create a folder within the screenshot directory selection dialog would be great.

jordi s

cvbusa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 05:24 AM »
Hi ... these are great ideas : how about an option during install (and/or inside the SSC main window) to create a shortcut to the Screenshot Captor save folder on the Desktop ... perhaps this option could be added to the current install panel that ask about creating a shortcut to the SSC application on the desktop.

ShortCutToSaveFolderOnDesktop.pngREQUEST: Prompt at startup if screenshot folder does not exist

PS I would like to recommend SSC to my non-technical friends  : how about an option  [available on the right click menu of the system tray icon ] to load a partial or complete list of setting from a text file.  It is wonderful the way SSC can be finely tuned but my non-technical friends have difficulty navigating and configuring all the options in all of the panels - especially the templates panel for automatic file naming.

Thanks for a great product ... Charles

jordis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Hi mouser
Is this feature request still in your to-do list? I'm asking because I downloaded latest v2.42.01 version and behaviour is the same as previous versions (screenshots folder is created automatically if it does not exist)
No rush here, I guess your to-do list is quite extensive, but I know sometimes feature requests tend to get buried within the hundreds of posts :-)

salut
jordis

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Is this feature request still in your to-do list? I'm asking because I downloaded latest v2.42.01 version and behaviour is the same as previous versions (screenshots folder is created automatically if it does not exist)

I think he's mousered it (new verb in the language, apparently).
To mouser; roughly translated, fail to devote every scintilla of attention [to topic, person, etc.].

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Thanks for reminding me, i will try to get these features in the next release.  :up:

jordis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 09:12 AM »
Sorry to revive such an old topic (1 year old!), but in latest version 2.72.01 this feature request is not yet implemented...
SC keeps creating the last used screenshot directory instead of notifying the user that it does not exist and letting the user select another one...

jordi s