ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Evaluate Server 2008 Enterprise for 240 days

(1/3) > >>

Eóin:
There is a lot of debate around about the pros and cons of using Windows Server 2008 as a workstation. Some people swear by it performance wise while other insist it's just an imagined effect, after all at the core Vista SP1 and Server 08 are the same kernel.

Well you can download a 60 day trial from MS which can be extended to 240days.

Combine that with this Server 2008 to a workstation guide and you're set to go. I can't remember the last time I left a windows install alone for that long.

I'm actually going to hold off for a bit, I want to upgrade my machine soon-ish so no point doing anything before that and of course there is still the issue that my XP x64 is running perfectly but I just want a change :)

Has anyone else here given it a spin yet?

Eóin:
The plot thickens- Windows "Workstation" 2008 - Vista Done Right?

Given all the press surrounding Vista Service Pack 1 and the supposed parity of the SP1 and Server 2008 kernels, we were expecting to find little or no performance delta between the two platforms. So we were understandably surprised when repeated test runs showed Windows Server 2008 outperforming Windows Vista w/SP1 by a margin of 11-17%.-http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2008/03/windows-2008-vista-done-right.html
--- End quote ---

From Windows "Workstation" 2008 Clobbers Vista in Benchmark Testing.

f0dder:
3D bargraphs suck, they're so easy to misread :)

But interesting nonetheless, between 10-16% performance difference? I wonder what exactly those benchmarks stress, though, and why 2008 might be faster... I see the DRM mention as a blanket statement.

justice:
even better it got directx10 support so even games should work, definately wil try it out. can i install it on my 3rd harddrive or does it have to be on my primary one where i got installed xp?

f0dder:
Can't see why it shouldn't work on a 3rd harddrive, although things DO tend to get fancy if you mix IDE and SATA drives, and there might be issues wrt. master bootsector (but if your BIOS has "F8 for boot menu" option, then that shouldn't be too much of a problem either).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version