topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MIRROR MIRROR REDUNDANT REDUNDANT  (Read 4601 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
MIRROR MIRROR REDUNDANT REDUNDANT
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:32 AM »
as i'm upgrading the web server, one thing i've learned that i want to pass on, that i'm reminded of each time i do something like this:

the safest path to doing major changes and experiments, whether to a website, or an operating system, etc.,
is to make a mirror first of your current setup, and do the first upgrade on the mirror.

in the case of the website this means setting up a copy of the website on an isolated space, re configuring it as current setup, and doing experiments there.  i am about to experiment on some php and mysql settings now and this is a safe way to do that too.

in the case of computer, i use a hard drive rack (see our backup review for some tips), and true image to let me clone the hard drive, and then work on the clone until i know everything is ok (you could just use an external drive to image the main drive and roll it back if you have troubles, but the racks and duplicate hard drives let me experiment without having to roll back).

there is also another MAJOR advantage of the idea of creating clones and experimenting on the close, which is that you really learn how to go through the steps of recreating your system, which can be super useful.

this is the same benefit you get from installing a new clean operating system every once and a while, it gives you a chance to go through the steps and avoid the mistakes and make sure you really do remember how to configure everything the way you like it.  its better than waiting until you have a catastrophe and then trying to remember how on earth you ever configured everything.

NickW

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MIRROR MIRROR REDUNDANT REDUNDANT
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Mouser,
This is rather cheeky of me but I noticed the word PHP in your post.
I might have to do some PHP coding in 2006.
Could you recommend any good books, sites, etc which would helpful.
Thanks,
Nick

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:46 AM »
when i was learning programming there was no internet :)
this new crop of languages like php and perl have excellent online resources.
the php manual pages are some of the best for any language and you can often get excellent help from them: http://www.php.net/

there are also TONS of 3rd party little php script sites, many with free scripts, and they are a great way to start.

i can't really recommend a book, which is unlike me since i tend to like having a good solid reference book.
maybe someone else can suggest one for us?

in general i find php coding quite enjoyable, from a c++ programmer's perspective; much more intuitive syntax than perl for me.

though all web based coding can be very frustrating because its harder to useful get error information sometimes.
but i'll take php coding over working with website css any day.

clif_notes

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Hate css. Wouldn't be so bad but you have to check it in three browsers. Often it looks fine in one or two and awful in the last.  >:(

Devoted to promoting freeware and free information