ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Firewall

How Does Your Firewall Rate? - Outpost, Comodo, Jetico, ...

(1/3) > >>

laurentdc:
Did you ever seen this comparative ?

Windows Personal Firewall Analysis :
http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

I wanted to argue about Comodo, the best for monthes, but Outpost just ran first !!!

" ... Outpost Firewall Pro 2008 6.0.2162.205.402.266 also fulfils the promised perfection. This means that Outpost also scores 9625 points, which is 925 points more than its previously tested version. ... "

mouser:
I have been a long time fan of Outpost.
I recently gave up on it -- just too many bugs, too much slowdown of my pc.  got tired of dealing with its issues.
It is without a doubt a very powerful, and very well thought out firewall in terms of interface.
But just too much instability for me to deal with any more.

I used Comodo for a while and was *very* impressed.  I thought i was going to stay with Comodo but eventually decided to use Eset's new firewall just because Comodo was a bit overwhelming for me in terms of options and stuff.

laurentdc:
I’m ok with db90h below about XP firewall.
I’ve used ZoneAlarm free for years before with no troubles, but most people will not be able to really decide about unusual configuration : what to accept and what to reject. Perhaps, now, it has become bloatware…

Comodo Firewall got all Internet users credits nowadays and it’s free: I just can only say “try it” !

Some interesting links :
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
http://bibou0007.com/aide-a-la-desinfection-f8/configuration-conseillee-par-toute-l-equipe-t223.htm

Perhaps, Mouser, should you began to change your firewall topic if it doesn’t fit your convictions anymore (I’m talking for saying evident things…).
https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/Firewall/index.html

For people who want high protection, a Comodo Firewall could be a good try assowiated with an antivirus.
For others, XP Firewall with a good antivirus (like Avira Antivir also free) is enough, but do not go to dangerous sites or do not use dangerous or somewhat illegal softwares…

Regards

I agree. Like all things tainted and twisted by money, ZoneAlarm's formerly superior software has become bloatware designed only to part people from their hard earned money.

Most people don't need anything more than the built in XP firewall. As of SP2, XP offers some protection against unauthorized outbound traffic, but if there were to be anything people might need in combination with XP, its what ZoneAlarm used to be -- a tight little outbound traffic monitor. 

Oh.. and for those people still running anything but XP (or server 2003), please don't reply saying 'what about people who aren't running XP?'. If you aren't running XP, its time to upgrade. Get over your fear of change and just do it.

Anyway.. Creating a very simple one wouldn't be so difficult at all. Making it secure, compatible, and user-friendly would, however, be a daunting task.

-db90h (December 01, 2005, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

mouser:
one thing i can say for sure: choosing your firewall based on how well it ranks in the leak-tests scores is a very very bad idea in my opinion.

of course top security should be your top concern, but if you go by scores alone you are basically asking to get a system that doesnt let anything in or out and doesnt let anything run that is even slightly out of the ordinary.  which probably means you will have to do a fair amount of customizing to get it to run the stuff you actually use..

just as important has to be how easy and flexible it is to customize it to behave more realistically.

i think we all have to beware these overly-simplistic firewall and antivirus tests.  they motivate companies to make their programs unrealistically paranoid and locked-down.  the result is an antivirus program that false alarms on everything, or a firewall which you will kill yourself over trying to get it to let your software connect to the internet.

laurentdc:
Good shot !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version