ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Network cable unplugged" - except it isn't!

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
If you suspect your router you might try to update/reflash your firmware.

The WAP-54g isn't intrinsically evil. It just lacks breeding and a proper education. But there's finally hope for the lowly WAP-54g.

It may be possible to replace the manufacturer's firmware with DD-WRT (or other 3rd party firmware) provided you have one of the supported (i.e. older) models. DD-WRT cures a multitude of evils and is definitely worth exploring. There was a thread up here not to long ago that addressed that topic.
-40hz (July 03, 2008, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a bit reluctant to flash the router - there is a WRT54 WiFi range expander in the system and I know from experience that getting them to work again after flashing the router BIOS can be a real PITA. I'm even more reluctant to use a third party BIOS given that interoperability is a bit tenuous at the best of times.

40hz:
I'm a bit reluctant to flash the router - there is a WRT54 WiFi range expander in the system and I know from experience that getting them to work again after flashing the router BIOS can be a real PITA. I'm even more reluctant to use a third party BIOS given that interoperability is a bit tenuous at the best of times.
--- End quote ---

I wasn't aware of that problem. I guess Lenny Ayres was right: TANSTAAFL!

Thanks for sharing.  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Ah the old Brigadier!! Actually most of the time I don't eat lunch (try to lose weight)  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version