topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: the award for most clueless pc user ever - my candidate.  (Read 56763 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: the award for most clueless pc user ever - my candidate.
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 05:11 AM »
I have mentioned it elsewhere on these forums but there is the story of the user who after the introduction of 3.5" floppies was confused and folded his old 5.25" floppies in half to get them to fit ....
-Carol Haynes (March 12, 2008, 04:14 AM)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 05:44 AM »
Someone asked me once on how to delete an icon on the desktop.  and this is probably not the silliest question he has ever asked me, its the only one i can think of.   :(

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Someone asked me once on how to delete an icon on the desktop.  and this is probably not the silliest question he has ever asked me, its the only one i can think of.   :(
To be fair, not all icons on the desktop can be deleted normally but have to be disabled from some not-so-easy-to-find configuration locations :)
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 09:01 AM »
3. My mother.

2. A friend of a friend who sent an email to the address [name]attheratehotmaildotcom.

1. A girl in an accountant's office I once apprenticed in - this is during the Win 3.1 era when mice were relatively new - she holds a ball mouse in the air and waves it around... "Why isn't anything happening??!"

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2008, 03:25 AM »
I am going to have to now nominate myself as the most clueless pc user because of what happened the other day:

It took a good 2 hours in a chatroom with people showing me pics of various motherboards and telling me where to look, to find out the model number of my motherboard.  :-[

When it was all over, I had to go take a nap because I was all worn out from the stress of it all.

(hardware ain't my thing)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2008, 05:11 AM »
My model no. comes on bottom of first screen at bootup... ;)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2008, 07:53 AM »
This pc isn't booting up though...seems like the motherboard is damaged (probably my own fault, too).  :(

oh well

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 01:35 AM »

That's enough to put a damper on your day - I guess I don't need to ask if you're backed up... ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56 AM »
That's enough to put a damper on your day - I guess I don't need to ask if you're backed up... ;D

Backups only matter so much for home computers. (Servers are a different matter.)

I'm in a situation similar to app103 at the moment. However, I'm far too lazy to bother with the computer at all. So... I took it in to have it repaired. (Hardware problems and all.)

New video card. New CPU fan. $100 later at the shop and it works.

Get home. Power on. Nothing. Not fun.

Backups won't help as I don't need the backup data per se. I need the machine with its configuration and installed software (that I can't install elsewhere). Again, not fun.

Hardware problems are simply evil. You cannot fix them with a bit of knowhow and elbow grease. You need parts. There's no substitute for that.

And app103, don't feel bad about not finding the model number. Hardware vendors have mystical and magical powers. In particular, they have 2 powerful spells that they use on a regular basis:

1) "Find most obtuse place to stamp model and serial" (a most sinister spell indeed...)
2) "Shrink model and serial stamp for electron microscope use only" (again, a most sinister spell...)

Dark arts indeed! These hardware people are either in league with Satan or the Chinese. I haven't figured out exactly which yet... Though I do have my suspicions!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2008, 03:13 AM »
Glad I'm a 'Home' PC then..... :)

:o Hope you both get things fixed

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2008, 04:24 PM »
We're all clueless sometimes. Whenever I'm tempted to be smug, I think about when I have to take my car in to be fixed. The mechanic could be making up the names of car parts and I'd never know. (I suspect I've had a few mechanics who did this.)

And I've been driving a car for decades! :-[ Some of them have probably wondered, as I stood there staring at the engine trying not to look like a total dink, "Geeze, how clueless do you have to be to not know that Ford hasn't made these with a carbeurator since 1985?"

This board is a select group. We like computers. We're interseted in them and curious about how they work. Using them is fun for us, even if it is sometimes frustrating. Not everyone feels this way.

And being in the user experience field, I feel like I need to point out that every "clueless user" story is really a "clueless programmer" story seen from the other side. Some developer(s) was/were too lazy or inexperienced or socially isolated to figure out how to make an interaction work for the person who had to actually use the program they were writing. Hilarity ensues.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 04:29 PM by Jimdoria »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2008, 04:49 PM »
that's a common analogy, Jindoria, but i think the clueless pc user is more like the clueless driver - i think (or hope) that they are rare.

in other words, the clueless pc user (in my original example) is like someone that has been driving their car for several years and yet they still ask where the ignition switch is when they get into a new car. then they ask how to operate the steering wheel or the gear stick.

i have to admit i wouldn't have the faintest idea how the engine works in my car, but i do know how to drive it (and i'd know how to drive another car that didn't look like it). so i agree with the analogy on the hardware side of things.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2008, 07:38 PM »
ask how to operate the steering wheel

One learns something every day!  Steering wheel, you say!  I thought that thing was the valve wheel to open the fuel filler.
Fortunately, because I've never managed to get that open, I've never had fuel so the issue of steering hasn't yet arisen.

:-[

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2008, 07:56 AM »
Some PC users wear blinkers and ear plugs.... ;)

Easier to get someone else to do it!

My Aunt's philosophy is "Uncle Bob does all that - why have a dog and bark yourself".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/bevelheadgrl/thud.gif
the award for most clueless pc user ever - my candidate.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 09:36 AM »
good point, CleverCat.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2008, 06:20 AM »
 :D

oldfart

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2008, 03:44 PM »
In response to nudone, I worked at a Chevy dealership in the parts department.  Just last Spring we had two service calls in two days from ladies who called from a parking lot asking for assistance because the battery went out of their keyfob transmitters and they couldn't unlock the car door.  I took the first call and it took me several questions before I could get my mind around exactly what the lady was telling me. 
Finally I understood her transmitter wouldn't unlock the car so I asked the lady what she had done with her key.  She said it was right there on the keyring with the transmitter. 
"Then why don't you just use the key to unlock the door manually?"
"Do you mean I can do that?"
"Yes Maam, just like in the days before transmitters, just put the key in the lock and turn it."
"Oh my God!  You're not going to tell anybody about this are you?"
"Of course I am.  This is too good to keep to myself."
Click.
Naturally, I told everyone in the shop so the next day when another lady called in with the same problem, the service manager thought I had put somebody up to it and it took a bit for him to realize that it was an honest call and the lady was just as clueless as the one the previous day. 
dmg

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2008, 08:38 PM »
"Yes Maam, just like in the days before transmitters, just put the key in the lock and turn it."

One car in my family's set of cars triggers the alarm when you unlock it the old-fashioned way, which is needlessly annoying. I sometimes do that out of habit because my daily commuter POS is so old it doesn't have a wireless keyfob thingy - I even have to manually crank the windows up and down.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49 AM »
I even have to manually crank the windows up and down.

very off-topic I guess but I really miss that in newer cars - I wish they'd have both
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 05:59 AM »
"Then why don't you just use the key to unlock the door manually?"
"Do you mean I can do that?"

Great if it works but I have found that if you never use the locks manually  they gradually seize up and won't turn.

Having said that I can still open the driver's door on my car with a key but I am instantly deafened by the alarm going off - which can only be turned off with the transmitter - so if the battery is dead ....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2008, 06:03 AM »
Having said that I can still open the driver's door on my car with a key but I am instantly deafened by the alarm going off - which can only be turned off with the transmitter - so if the battery is dead ....
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2008, 05:59 AM)

maybe the designers should get awards for "most clueless...." :-\
Tom

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57 AM »
-Carol Haynes (March 24, 2008, 05:59 AM)

maybe the designers should get awards for "most clueless...." :-\

So, does anyone have an idea why car manufacturers include this 'feature' of triggering the alarm when you unlock a car the old-fashioned way?  I can't imagine a reason for this.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Presumably because the locks are simply mechanical devices that can be forced, picked or bypassed with a coat hanger.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41 AM »
Off topic but....

In the 60's, I could open by Dad's passenger side VW Beetle with one of those long handled metal combs! ;D

fro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Today I was going to help someone with her new wireless router, but since it's a wireless router she refused to plug in the power adapter...