ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

the award for most clueless pc user ever - my candidate.

<< < (14/18) > >>

CleverCat:
 :D

oldfart:
In response to nudone, I worked at a Chevy dealership in the parts department.  Just last Spring we had two service calls in two days from ladies who called from a parking lot asking for assistance because the battery went out of their keyfob transmitters and they couldn't unlock the car door.  I took the first call and it took me several questions before I could get my mind around exactly what the lady was telling me. 
Finally I understood her transmitter wouldn't unlock the car so I asked the lady what she had done with her key.  She said it was right there on the keyring with the transmitter. 
"Then why don't you just use the key to unlock the door manually?"
"Do you mean I can do that?"
"Yes Maam, just like in the days before transmitters, just put the key in the lock and turn it."
"Oh my God!  You're not going to tell anybody about this are you?"
"Of course I am.  This is too good to keep to myself."
Click.
Naturally, I told everyone in the shop so the next day when another lady called in with the same problem, the service manager thought I had put somebody up to it and it took a bit for him to realize that it was an honest call and the lady was just as clueless as the one the previous day. 

mwb1100:
"Yes Maam, just like in the days before transmitters, just put the key in the lock and turn it."
-oldfart (March 23, 2008, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

One car in my family's set of cars triggers the alarm when you unlock it the old-fashioned way, which is needlessly annoying. I sometimes do that out of habit because my daily commuter POS is so old it doesn't have a wireless keyfob thingy - I even have to manually crank the windows up and down.

tomos:
I even have to manually crank the windows up and down.
-mwb1100 (March 23, 2008, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

very off-topic I guess but I really miss that in newer cars - I wish they'd have both

Carol Haynes:
"Then why don't you just use the key to unlock the door manually?"
"Do you mean I can do that?"
-oldfart (March 23, 2008, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great if it works but I have found that if you never use the locks manually  they gradually seize up and won't turn.

Having said that I can still open the driver's door on my car with a key but I am instantly deafened by the alarm going off - which can only be turned off with the transmitter - so if the battery is dead ....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version